No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-07-18, 7:09am
Christine

Default Using Silver Foil

I am using silver foil on frit beads. I burnish the silver foil on the bead and then bring it back to the flame to burnish it off - so I can get just the silver dots look. I am etching the beads after annealing. On some colors the silver foil goes almost golden and that is not the look I want. Seems to happen mostly on blue toned beads. I reintroduce the bead to the back of the flame and still get that look. Is there a way to reduce the frequency of these happening or something I can do to the bead after it has been annealed? I am looking more for the light silver color look to the bead and not the gold fuming kind of look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-07-18, 8:09am
FatCat Mama

Christine, It's just a matter of chemistry - the way silver will react with certain colors. I know it happens with white, and when encased with most clears. Let's hope someone else has some suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2016-07-18, 1:36pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Christine, if the frits you are using are furnace glass any purple colors will turn gold over silver foil. I deliberately use a 96COE purple frit to get a really pretty gold color.

Old 2016-07-18, 1:58pm

Christine, I don't think there is anything you can do to stop that reaction other than using a different colour.

Magma Beads .

Old 2016-07-18, 2:11pm
Slogan Challenged...

Perhaps try transparent bases?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-07-18, 5:44pm
Mebmer

All the blues that I've used get that gold speckle look when I use silver leaf on or around it. The same thing happens on blue with some of the more silver laden glasses too. Very fine Terra Nova 2.1 encased turned one of my blue beads gold. Not sure if it's avoidable.