Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2019-09-04, 11:46am

Default New studio help!!!!!!

So I purchased a used minor torch, a new regulator, and an oxycon. I've had some bad luck. The oxycon & regulator were faulty and both were replaced. The new regulator is working properly. I can't seem to get a good neutral flame. I'm clearly (I think) getting too much propane and not enough oxygen. I say that first because the glass is taking longer than expected to reach it's molten state, and the flame is leaving my nile green and CIM Peace burned. My oxy is set at approx. 4.5, and regulator is set at 5. Anything else you all need to know? So, what tests should I do so I can figure out what I need to do?

I'm asking my question here because in my opinion, this page is where the experience is! HELP!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2019-09-04, 1:04pm

You set the oxy at 4.5 what? Purity level? I don't use an oxycon I use tanked oxygen. But I thought the only thing you could regulate on an oxycon is the Purity level. I thought output was set by the type of machine. If true then your oxy purity is way low.
Other than that maybe turn your propane down some.
Old 2019-09-04, 2:34pm

It's a 5 lpm oxycon?

Old 2019-09-04, 4:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper View Post
You set the oxy at 4.5 what? Purity level? I don't use an oxycon I use tanked oxygen. But I thought the only thing you could regulate on an oxycon is the Purity level. I thought output was set by the type of machine. If true then your oxy purity is way low.
Other than that maybe turn your propane down some.
Thank you! Will try turning the Propane down.

Old 2019-09-04, 4:50pm

Yes...5 lpm

Old 2019-09-05, 4:09am
Phill

Oxycons typically put out about 94% at best.

And if you turn them up to 5 out of 5 you can get as low 84% purity.

I suggest you turn you oxycon down to 4 and then ballence your propane against the oxygen until you get good blue cones.

Your green may be getting propane soot or possibly the "reducing flame" { too much propane} is bringing up the cooper in the green glass.

You could find that you have to go to a much smaller flame to get the heat you want to work with, as counter intuitive as that sounds.

ETA: Oh and make sure your oxycon filters are in good shape. With 5 LPM machines you want to make it breath as easy as possible.
Old 2019-09-05, 5:38am

Thanks very much! Will be playing later this morning

Old 2019-09-05, 4:44pm

I run my minor with a 5lpm oxycon and natural gas. My oxycon (as good as new, only 198 hours used)) was tested and has best purity (94%) around 3,5. The purity decreases steadily with higher adjustment. At the torch I have the oxy knob always opened completely and adjust the flame only with the gas.

Margit
Old 2019-09-06, 3:54am

Thank you! I didn't have this much trouble with my other set up (oxycon & propane). Finally getting this one in check...thanks to all of you!