No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2015-06-20, 9:47am
Dix Harrison

Default Ugly LP tank--camoflage

I have always hated having an ugly LP tank sitting just outside my studio. I have a nice setup. The propane hose runs from the exterior, through the studio wall.

The studio doors are sliding-glass and 7 foot wide. I am fortunate that they bring so much natural light into the studio space, but was bummed that my otherwise serene backyard view, included an unsightly tank.

I just recently took out, and replaced, a 12-foot section of weathered cedar fence. I saved the fence pickets thinking I might build planter boxes. Well, I built one giant planter box for my sunflower crop and STILL had wood leftover.
So, I had the bright idea to build a quasi-cover for the propane tank.

It's nothing fancy. But, it sure makes things look so much nicer. There is no bottom in the tank "box." And, there is a 1.5" gap around the bottom. (It has very short legs.) In case there ever was a LEAK, the propane could escape out the box bottom and the top. From the photos, you can see I also left the top partially open. Those top planks are not attached. I just lift one to turn on the valve. I can also monitor LP pressure from inside the studio by looking at the gauge, through the door.

I should have done this LONG ago! So simple.

I used four 2x4 pieces for the corners. They are 21.5" (tall). The side planks are 4" wide and 15" long. I used five planks per side, except on the back panel. I only used four...to leave space for the gauge and hose to protrude.

Yes, that's a pool noodle covering my propane hose to protect it from UV deterioration. I slit one side of the noodle to open it lengthwise. Slipped it over the hose, and fastened it in place with zip ties. I remove the noodle cover twice a year and check the hose for cracks and discoloration. So far, it has been doing a GREAT job.

Let me know if you have questions!

Old 2015-06-20, 10:03am

I love it, but would be afraid it would be full of wasp nests here at my place.
Old 2015-06-20, 1:08pm
Slogan Challenged...

yeah bugs!!! but great idea, you could even decorate it as a planter. Now I want to see pics of your studio, those studio doors sound lovely!

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2015-06-20, 2:05pm
Dix Harrison

I sprayed the inside really well with pet-safe insecticide. Around here, that will take care of spiders, termites and wasps for the rest of the summer. Our wasps don't move into low places. They like to be high.
Old 2015-06-21, 6:41am
balanced but asymmetrical

Looks great , thanks for sharing!

Old 2015-07-11, 8:53am
Favorite color is shiny

I did something similar when building my studio. Never really had bug problems and I don't know why. hmmmm

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2015-07-24, 10:52am
Dix Harrison

Lynn,

We were thinking alike! I love your solution!
Old 2015-07-24, 2:41pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I don't do anything with hammers except smash my finger so I bought one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-GH1732...28FRX4YVRNV3Y5

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2016-01-23, 4:02pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Mine is in a black trash can. The hoses go into the back of it and the tank sits outside. It works perfect other than the occasional frog that gets inside and scares the crap out of me. LOL

Old 2016-01-25, 4:36am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Mine are in trash cans, but they sit on the back side of the studio so I don't much care what they look like. I am SO going to steal your idea for the hose cover!

L-111

Old 2016-01-25, 8:40am
Loving learning

I am not getting it. Maybe it's my foggy brain this morning. Are the hoses in the can and the tank not in it? Or the tank is sitting down in the can with a hole cut in it for the hoses to go through?
I just have one upside down over my tank. DH did put some black landscape tubing over the hoses from the tank end till they go under the shed, just to protect them a bit.