LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-02-21, 6:37pm

Mary those beads are fabulous! I was trying to figure this out yesterday, but haven't quite got it yet... What are you all doing at the seam? I mean where you wrap the twistie around the base bead, how do you end and join it and make it look good? Thanks, ~Juliet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay...

Last edited by CorvetteJuliet; 2008-02-21 at 6:42pm.
Old 2008-02-21, 6:51pm

Juliette, that is one of the hardest parts. You can wrap most of the way and eyeball how much more you will need, then cut with murrini nippers; just don't wrap so far around that you can't get the nippers in close enough. It is best to keep a nice cut edge too, so that when you press the end part on to your base bead you can take a blade and manipulate the two ends together. I have seen one bead person press the two ends down into the base a little bit to fuse them and move any ragged bits into the inside. Then you take your tweezers and manipulate some more from the sides to even up the cane.
If you go to you-tube and type in glass bead makers you will find Hotglass, who does a video on twistie cane beads, and you will see him using a blade to tuck in the ends. xiola

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-02-22, 9:56am
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteJuliet View Post
Mary those beads are fabulous! I was trying to figure this out yesterday, but haven't quite got it yet... What are you all doing at the seam? I mean where you wrap the twistie around the base bead, how do you end and join it and make it look good? Thanks, ~Juliet
This is the hardest part and even though I've gotten pretty good at melding that joint, it is still the place I put the frog. LOL

Some people wrap the twistie around the bead and then cut off the excess. I do not do that. I wrap all the way around the bead, and then I flame cut the twistie. As I'm flame cutting it, I give it a little bit of a twirl to tighten the twist pattern right there at the end. Then, I use a razor knife to tuck that nib down tight up next to the starting end of the twistie. I align the edges as best I can, and then I will crease diagonally across the joint with the razor knife. When those creases melt smooth as you are melting in the twistie, the colors meld together and do a pretty nice job of it.

Next time I make one of these, I'll not cover the seam and hopefully show ya how the results work with that method. I've always used this technique as a base to other things, like flowers or figures so I never stressed over the joint too much...but if you are going to leave it exposed, a nice joint really does look more professional.

~~Mary

Old 2008-02-22, 10:30am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
...but if you are going to leave it exposed, a nice joint really does look more professional.

~~Mary
A nice joint makes *everything* seem better

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-02-22, 10:34am
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

Malcolm

Old 2008-02-22, 2:54pm

Hey thanks for the You Tube suggestion. I spent many pleasant hours watching glass today! Here are the links to the videos you suggested (incase others don't want to go wandering through the wonders of You tube).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdqfs87_fmo&feature=user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQO2B7pKJzo&feature=user

Hope those links work! ~Juliet

...overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay...
Old 2008-02-23, 5:12pm
You can call me Slater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolyn M View Post
Triple
Old 2008-02-23, 5:36pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post

Malcolm

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-02-24, 4:10pm
Isinglass Design

Well, I went from one forum to another on this, and I hope I get it now! Will have to try it out tomorrow.

Laurie
Old 2008-02-25, 8:22am

I just posted some pictures of the baleen effect in the "other" pleat bead thread - it's in Tutorials thread "Pleated beads?"

Pam
Old 2008-02-28, 2:28pm

I was just looking through this thread again - such LOVLIES! I would love to know some of the cane recipes...hint hint. I know there are a couple of twistie threads, but they are the more traditional type, with opaques only/mostly. Xiola Blue - love that top one....I sure look good in those colors....LOL
Old 2008-03-14, 6:03am

Hey Guys, Vicki was kind enough to tell me about this thread, and I CAN tell you this much. I make my Zebra beads using the same technique , WITHOUT using clear on both sides of the lolly!

First importance is to make the twists TIGHT on your twisty. Next, put a small layer of CLEAR down on your mandrel, then apply your twisty by PUSHING it onto the clear base, don't let it stretch when applying it.

IF I used, for instance, a White base, then stacked Transparent DARK colors, you'd see a pleat instead of the black stripes! (Oh and you'd probably not want to make the clear coat as thick as I have)!
Hope this helps! I am running a twisty sale this weekend in the sales rack, if you want some twisties to try this with!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85400

Hugs
Lynnie

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-15, 4:55pm
where is that UPS man?

Juliet,
Thanks for the links. Now I have to come up with another excuse for surfing U-tube.
He-He
Deb

Deb
SERIOUS GLASS HO

Old 2008-03-27, 7:22pm

OK I finally have a couple sets of my pleated beads to share:

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2008-03-28, 4:00am
Nature Coast

Great job Lynnie! Love the earrings.

Old 2018-01-30, 7:57am

I'm a rank beginner, but I think I understand the theory of pleated beads, at least, although I'm a way off making one yet!

I found this image on Pinterest and can't work out if this is done in a similar way or not. I went to the link given to ask the artist, but the site has gone. Has anyone got any ideas how this is worked please?
Attached Images

Old 2018-01-30, 9:49am
Lisa Berczel

Your example doesn't look like a twistie.
It looks like a gravity swirl of a silver glass.

Core: Clear
Color Encase: Silver Glass
Tooling: press grooves all the way across the bead parallel to the mandrel. Viewed from the side, you should see a series of "mountain peaks" between each groove. The more grooves, the more "mountain peaks" which will become the "pleats" of the final bead.
Clear Encase: Swipe on the clear in the direction of the grooves. You want to fill all the groove valleys with clear.
Shape with gentle heat.
Then
Gravity Swirls (there are some good LE threads on how to do this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyann View Post
I'm a rank beginner, but I think I understand the theory of pleated beads, at least, although I'm a way off making one yet!

I found this image on Pinterest and can't work out if this is done in a similar way or not. I went to the link given to ask the artist, but the site has gone. Has anyone got any ideas how this is worked please?
Old 2018-01-30, 10:55am

Thank you Ladypainter - I'll give it a try when I have some more torch time under my belt. I'm just fascinated trying to work out how some of these beautiful beads are made.
Old 2018-01-30, 11:28am
Lisa Berczel

It's a wonderful journey that makes us earn every step.

And this forum is a treasure trove of helpfulness!