Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-10-07, 5:32pm

Question lapel pin earrings

Has anyone taken pins like what you would find....like small campaign buttons and turned them into earrings? I have a customer that had given me two nickel sized pins to convert into earrings and I don't want to pierce holes in the pin itself to eliminate damage to the paper motif of the pin. My thought was to replace the spring steel pin inside of the pin with one fabricated from memory wire, adding loops in it to hang earring wires at the top and dangles at the bottom. Sounds like a good idea to me but was wondering if anyone has tried this before and if so would they share their technique with me?
Old 2013-10-07, 7:21pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You don't say if they are for pierced or clamp on....Could you not just get earring backs and use a little epoxy glue to glue the campaign buttons to them... There must be 20 ways to create a attachment to campaign button then attach it to proper earring back... But then what do I know, I'm a guy and don't do earrings... But I do lots of stuff with JB Weld epoxy...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2013-10-07 at 7:24pm.
Old 2013-10-09, 4:31pm

you can get findings to attach to the back of items to make pendants or earrings--they have a flat surface for gluing or soldering, and a loop for hanging. Wonder what they're called...

Oh wait, just re-read your post and it's not the type of lapel pin I was imagining. Is memory wire strong enough to hold that kind of spring?
How about just bending the existing wire into a couple of loops, one to hang from and one to hang on?

Last edited by steiconi; 2013-10-09 at 4:35pm.
Old 2013-10-09, 5:02pm

Thanks for your ideas! Yes, I could use glue but I prefer not to. They are for pierced ears by the way, I did forget to mention that. Like I said, these buttons are about the size of a nickel and not heavy at all. I not only have to make earrings from them but also add some danglie do-dads to them, probably some wire and crystals. I am going to give the memory wire a shot, I would use the wire in them but it is too hard and I'm not sure the coating on it so I am not going to anneal the wire and burn off who knows what is on it. Thanks again for your ideas, I may resort to the glue but am going to try to avoid it.....for now.
Old 2013-10-13, 1:58pm
Glass-aholic

Maybe glue a bail similar to how fused pieces would work to give you a loop to work with? Or solder a loop to it?

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: