Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-02-16, 6:25pm

Default Borobars...which ones are good?

I recently bought some borobars. I really like the blush pink and eggplant purple, but I absolutely hated the sunshine yellow. It boils like crazy even when encased in clear, and it comes out a whitish yellow. I didn't like the bing cherry brown and kelly green that much either. So I was wondering about all the other colors. Which ones are good, and which ones should I stay away from? How does the white compare to other whites?
Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-02-17, 10:31am
Still makin' flowers...

I like the white. I also like the lighter blues. The orange is terrible but every so often I find a lobster that works well. The lighter greens work well. The browns are horrible. The flesh color goes green on me.
---
edited to add... I love the glow glass borobars.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2016-02-17, 10:40am
I fart diamonds

It really depends on how you work them. I haven't had any problems with any of the ones that I've tried, including the yellows and oranges, although the Lobster washed out and the black isn't really black. I think I just worked the Lobster too hot, though, and you definitely need to make sure you mix them before you use them.

The white is one of the best on the market.

Old 2016-02-17, 11:54am

The blues and grays are nice too.
Mountain Glass is having a sale on Borobars right now from today until Friday, 2/19/16. Code: BOROBARS 35% off

Old 2016-02-17, 4:51pm
I fart diamonds

This thread on TMP has a lot of good info on borostix:

http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...stronics/page2

Old 2016-02-17, 4:53pm
Slogan Challenged...

Hi Shawnette! I have a few boro bars - these are the short stubby bars that sort of look like crayons, right? May I ask by mixing, do you mean heating and mixing the bar with itself to even it all out or mixing with clear?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-17, 5:20pm
I fart diamonds

Mixing it with itself. Borostix are not crucible pulled, like most glass. They're pressed glass that's never been mixed.

Old 2016-02-17, 5:59pm
Slogan Challenged...

I thought I had heard something at one time like that, forgot it when trying to use them of course. I find them stiff, perhaps that will help.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-02-20, 9:54pm

The white and blush are buttery and lovely, havent really tried the others. Its recommended to remix before use, but im lazy and never have
Old 2016-02-23, 8:37pm

I have a noobie Q.... why are they boro bars ....bars vs Rods like most companies. Guessing it's a processing thing...

and to the Q I like there Uber blush(the darker pink) well mixed with clear.

Old 2016-02-24, 9:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
I have a noobie Q.... why are they boro bars ....bars vs Rods like most companies. Guessing it's a processing thing...
They start with powdered glass in molds. http://originglass.com/glass-products/boro-stix/

Old 2016-02-24, 9:58am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post

and to the Q I like there Uber blush(the darker pink) well mixed with clear.
They're literally bars. They're only about 4" long and they're square(ish), like a bar.

Old 2016-03-11, 8:12am

I use the yellows a lot for flowers. I cant remember the color but one of the lighter yellow ones, when its worked turns white.

For flowers its perfect since it allows your petals to graduate from yellow to white on the outer edges.

Someone else mentioned how buttery they feel when softened. I haven't had issues boiling like I sometimes do with the yellows of other brands.
I wish they were about twice as long as they are though!
Old 2017-02-21, 5:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
It really depends on how you work them. I haven't had any problems with any of the ones that I've tried, including the yellows and oranges, although the Lobster washed out and the black isn't really black. I think I just worked the Lobster too hot, though, and you definitely need to make sure you mix them before you use them.

The white is one of the best on the market.
Am pretty new to Boro and am unsure what is meant by "mix it", please explain how to do that. Pam from Georgia (Orlando glass dragons.)

Last edited by glasser; 2017-02-21 at 8:20am.