Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2012-12-16, 9:05am
Renee

Default Making bead caps

I found this while searching the net today. I thought this would be of interest!

http://chestnutridgedesigns.com/sect....aspx?bp_id=15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-12-16, 9:21am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
I found this while searching the net today. I thought this would be of interest!

http://chestnutridgedesigns.com/sect....aspx?bp_id=15
That was actually what got me started with metal etching. I should be angry at it because the stuff is addictive.

If you use a container with higher walls you can use a cheap ($9) aquarium pump from Walmart to circulate the etchant, it keeps the copper cleaner and your etchings will come out crisper.

Old 2012-12-16, 9:29am
Renee

It's a lot of fun! You can also use rubber stamps with staz-on ink pad. I use a Rubbermaid dish washing tub with the aquarium pump too.

Last edited by mtnlaurel; 2012-12-16 at 9:30am. Reason: Misspelled ink name
Old 2012-12-16, 9:51am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
It's a lot of fun! You can also use rubber stamps with staz-on ink pad. I use a Rubbermaid dish washing tub with the aquarium pump too.
Yep, the stamps and staz-on are what I do. I've drawn a few things but I'm pretty private about my own drawn artwork, I don't like my flaws. It is a lot of fun! If you scour eBay you can find some really unique stamps. I won a lot awhile back of stamps that are about 2x3 that were unmounted rubber and are these detailed depictions of tarot cards, just gorgeous. I just finished one that's circular that has the celtic/pagan calendar on it.

I *tried* to win one that was amazing and older with a scene from a kabuki theater but when it hit $50 I had to give it up. *sniff* I was heartbroken! I love doing big statement pieces with the artistic one of a kind stamps.

See what you did, now I'll never shut up.

Old 2012-12-16, 1:25pm

Excuse me where is the best place to order the stamp pads you speak of?
Thankyou
Old 2012-12-16, 1:33pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post

I *tried* to win one that was amazing and older with a scene from a kabuki theater but when it hit $50 I had to give it up. *sniff* I was heartbroken! I love doing big statement pieces with the artistic one of a kind stamps.
A lot of the rubber stamps you see being sold on eBay are still available from the company that made them. Unfortunately sellers often put something like "vintage" or "out of production" or "one of a kind" or something similar and it's really not the case. I've seen many of my stamps being sold that way and people have paid outrageous amounts of money when they could get it on my website. It's something rubber stamp company owners complain about amongst each other but there's nothing we can do about it. Often they put the company name in the listing so a simple search would find us.

Old 2012-12-16, 9:02pm
grama punky - class junky

I am going to have to try this!

Old 2012-12-16, 10:12pm

That is the first time I have seen the etching on the blanks. Lovely! Okay, now I have to set up an etching station!

Ginko Beads
Old 2012-12-17, 9:02am
Renee

You can buy the Staz-on ink pads and refills at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Probaably anyplace that sells craft and scrapbooking supplies. Make sure you get black! It seems to work best. The Staz-on wont come off in the etching solution either like the others. I use this in my classes and it works great!!

Old 2012-12-18, 6:47am

Thank you very much.. Will check it out.
Cherri
Old 2012-12-18, 8:36am

mtnlaurel, thanks for posting that blog, always wondered how it was actually done. Now the question is, do i really want to start on another crafty path.

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2012-12-18, 2:24pm
Renee

What's a little adventure- LOL! Renee

Old 2012-12-19, 7:43am
tiptrinket

Sounds interesting. The PCB Copper Etchant is not on Radio Shack's website. Is it the same stuff as any etching solution?

Old 2012-12-19, 9:09am
Renee

It seems like some people can find it and others can't at radio shack. I don't know if it is in some stores and not the others. My students said you have to go to the store itself. They may not ship because there is a charge for hazardous materials.
I bought my etchent from MG CHEMICALS- Ferric Choloride- copper etching solution. They are on the net.

Old 2012-12-19, 2:33pm
tiptrinket

Thank you! And is it possible to use a Sharpie permanent marker instead of a paint pen?

Old 2012-12-19, 7:09pm
Renee

Sharpies are fine- you just don't get as sharp of an image.

<a href=http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-To-MP3/3000-2071_4-75810474.html >youtube to mp3</a>

Old 2012-12-20, 9:55am
tiptrinket

Renee, Thank you for your help!

Old 2012-12-21, 7:08am
Renee

You're welcome!