Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-12-24, 4:08pm
Renee

Default Batch annealing help?

Hi! I made a bunch of clear icicles and need to anneal them. Do I have to bring kiln up slowly, or can I just put them in a kiln at 1070? I'm used to soft glass and small boro beads- I didn't make the icicles at home, so still want to anneal. Thanks! Renee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-12-24, 4:32pm
Bernhard Riegler

bring it up slowly. Avoid any heat shock to be on the safe side

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2012-12-24, 4:57pm

I'm a better safe than sorry kinda gal as well. Boro is tougher but why take chances? Don't ramp it up full speed.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2012-12-24, 5:18pm
Renee

That was my idea too, but thought I'd ask! Thanks!

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-12-24, 11:25pm
Alaska Boro

"Contemporary Lampworking" indicates that the temperature rise from room temperature to annealing temperature should be at a rate that should not exceed 27 degrees F per minute for a piece that is one inch thick. For 1/2 inch 108 degrees F per minute.

If your aim temperature is 1050 F then 1050 divided by 27 is 39 minutes for a maximum rise time for 1 inch material.

In my case the kiln has no ramp up as it takes 57 minutes to reach annealing temperature which is adequate for a 1.25 inch piece from cold to hot. For a 2 inch piece 156 minutes for a ramp up time, etc.
Old 2012-12-25, 12:58am
Co-owner

Good information. Thanks for sharing the formula.

PHONE: (385) 237-3365
OXYGEN 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0575
LAMPWORKING 24 HOUR TEXT LINE: (801) 949-0576
Old 2012-12-27, 9:26am
ManBearPig

I throw stuff in at room temp and ramp it up full speed all the time. That includes marbles, pendants, and whatever else. I've never lost one to thermal shock. The key I've found is to make sure you hold it at temperature long enough to let the temperature equalize throughout the piece before starting the annealing time and the ramp back down.

Old 2013-01-30, 7:54am

Thanks Alaska

Carlisle on Tanks/Scorpion on Oxy-con
Old 2013-01-30, 9:14am

Cosmo, how would you handle a 3" marble that needs to be reworked a bit? It has already been annealed, but I decided to do a bit of grinding on it, and rework it in the flame. I am thinking that ramping it up over 2-3 hours would work, but I am not sure. Don't want to lose this one for sure!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2013-01-30, 9:35am

Eric I just wanted to share that I have just successfully reworked a marble that was two inches. I put it into the kiln and it ramped (full) up from room temperature to 950f. It actually went through several sessions as I wanted to see how much I could throw at it. When I finally did rework it I grabbed it with tongs and got it into the flame then punty''d up right away then really got the heat to it til it glowed all the way inside. reworked and put it back into the kiln. The only thing I would do different is I would have a tray made out of glass for the marble to rest in the kiln as I had to clean off some kiln dust before I reworked it.
After it sits in the kiln at 950f I do ramp to 1050 for 2 hours then down to 850f for 1 1/2 hours then off.
Pendants and such I will just pop into the kiln even in mid cycle but I wouldn't recommend doing this with something thicker.

Old 2013-02-01, 12:24pm
Formerly Bakerman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I throw stuff in at room temp and ramp it up full speed all the time. That includes marbles, pendants, and whatever else. I've never lost one to thermal shock. The key I've found is to make sure you hold it at temperature long enough to let the temperature equalize throughout the piece before starting the annealing time and the ramp back down.
This is my experience also. I keep stuff in the kiln for days and weeks at a time waiting to be used. I never pay it any special attention. I would't put any large marbles in there this way but 1" and smaller, you should be good to go.