LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Old 2012-12-19, 6:30pm
What was I thinking?

Default Basic Heart Tutorials?

I can't make a decent heart and don't want to buy a new press. Can anyone direct me to a tut or two on soft-glass hearts? Bead holes vertical or horizontal would be welcome.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-12-19, 7:13pm

There are actually lots of great tutorials for hearts! Here are a few of them ..

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=154116

http://lorigreenberg.com/blog/?p=647

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/11899/229/page3.php
Old 2012-12-20, 4:54am

Hi Gretchen, I make basic hearts using my tab press, a lentil or any round press will work. In the very dodgy diagram below the straight line's the mandrel and the circle is the pressed tab, i heat and press gently with a knife at the arrow then gently press each flat side on the marver. Then heat each side at the bottom and press against the side (one side at a time), I use my magic wand but a knife / marver would do. Alas, my drawing skills are crap

but they are better than my photos

Last edited by fionac; 2012-12-20 at 4:59am.
Old 2012-12-20, 8:17am
What was I thinking?

Wonderful!

Thanks for all three links, Patty! Exactly what I needed.

Fiona—Your drawing is perfect, and I love the brown bead! Thank you so much!

I was using gravity but getting a pointy end. Hope to try this today.

Last edited by piedradesigns; 2012-12-20 at 10:06am.
Old 2012-12-20, 10:52am
Burning Fingers!

Shari Slonkli had a great tutorial available. It was made on the end of a mandrel, but could easily be changed to whatever direction you want the mandrel to go. I'll see if I can find the link to her etsy shop . . . .
http://www.etsy.com/listing/98165482...l-broken-heart.
Hope it helps.

/
/
/

Old 2012-12-20, 6:18pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks for the link, Jane. I think I have all of Shari's tuts except this one.

Old 2012-12-20, 9:05pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I wrote a mini-one in the Free Tutorial section a while ago. Hand-shaped puffy ones. I'll have to see if I can find it.

ETA
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=217538

Gretchen, since then, I've discovered that you can use this very same principle on a hollow heart, too. It works very well:

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107

Last edited by essiemessy; 2012-12-20 at 9:17pm.
Old 2012-12-21, 9:44am
What was I thinking?

Thank you, Di! Your hearts are lovely.

Old 2012-12-24, 7:15am
Renee

If you get Diane Woodalls Soda Lime Times, there are lots of tutorials for hearts in last February's issue. It's a great little magazine! Every month it has lot of tuts and tips. Just google Soda Lime Times and the link will come up. You can buy back issues and they are delivered right to your computer. ( I don't know Diane, so this isn't a sales pitch!) Good luck!

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-12-24, 6:48pm
What was I thinking?

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about the Soda Lime Times! I'm a subscriber and love the SLT, but I didn't even check my back issues.

Thanks for the reminder, Renée!

Old 2012-12-25, 9:47pm
Renee

You're welcome!

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2012-12-26, 5:13pm

Jennifer Geldard makes my favorite heart. Her free tutorial (that's how beadmakers learned in the old days, they shared their techniques with each other) is here: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/11899/229/page3.php

Nolly
Old 2012-12-26, 5:47pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks, Nolly.

Old 2013-01-05, 5:26pm

Thanks Renee for your kind words. I was going to mention the heart tutorials in the Feb. 2012 issue of the Soda Lime Times, plus I have a free tutorial on my website at http://www.dianewoodall.com/pages/FreeTutorials.htm. Just scroll down and you'll see it. I did this a few years back for my local group to make beads for BOC. It's a lot like fionac's method.

Good luck!

Old 2013-01-07, 6:33pm
What was I thinking?

Thanks, Diane. I feel silly about forgetting the SLT heart issue. Better to feel silly than scared, I guess... And thanks for the link too.