No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-01, 8:07am
Renee

Unhappy Cracked bead

I have been making corrinas quark style beads for quite awhile and tried some new colors yesterday. I used eff 418 pastel yellow as my base, 104 murrini and twists and encased in clear. I usually use eff clear, but its possible I used some diamond clear. I ended up with 2 deep cross type cracks in the bead. The bead didn't break- it just has the cross type cracks that go deep into the bead and a couple that go around the bead. Compatibility problem, or is yellow a hard color to encase? It seems like I read that somewhere, but couldn't find it! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Renee

Ps. I used the diamond clear on other things that didn't crack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"

Last edited by mtnlaurel; 2013-02-01 at 8:08am. Reason: More info
Old 2013-02-01, 8:26am
Mary Lockwood

Well, it is incompatibility and the opaque yellows and reds don't particularly care for deep encasement. Sometimes an incompatibility has a lot to do with viscosity rather than just coe. They both play a part. You can have two glasses that are both 104coe...but still cause incompatibility cracks because they go through their phases at different temperatures.

You've heard of people swear-off encasing effetre with lauscha clear, while other people swear by it. You've heard people say they encase with lauscha but they put it in the kiln still glowing a little bit and that's why it works for them. Those are viscosity issues. Some people work a little differently and it allows them to use two kinds of glass that wouldn't normally get along while someone else might have a horrible time with it.

Usually if you're going to encase opaque yellows and reds it is a good idea to make the very core of your bead out of the same clear you're going to encase with. Then encase that clear core with a thin layer of color...then proceed. The thin bit of color won't cause as much stress as a solid core of it would.

Also, because you're making quarks...are you sure that all of the murrini you used are chips you've used in the past? Did one find its way in there that didn't belong? Can you tell looking at the cracks if they radiate out from a specific point and if so...what is in that spot?

That bead was majorly not happy. You might never find out why. But you might find clues by looking at where the cracks are. If you can't find evidence that a murrini chip caused it...I would blame the combination of the clear you used with the yellow core.

Hope that helps. Sometimes I talk in circles. Sorry about your bead...it was probably really cool looking!
~~Mary

Old 2013-02-01, 1:20pm
Renee

Thanks for the info Mary ! I tried to get a pic of the bead, but because of all the colors, the cracks don't show. There aren't any cracks on the murrini. Something interesting tho- I just noticed all the cracks are on the interior of the bead. If I run my fingernail over where the cracks should be, there is no roughness. The bead is just as smooth as can be. Go figure . It seems to radiate from the core out in a cross shape, but then it contradicts itself because 2 "cracks" go from end to end which I think means bead got too cool. I really appreciate you trying to help me figure it out. I love the yellow and reds, but will take your advice and do the very core in the clear first.. I'm going to try again tomorrow and do a smaller experimental one! I will let ya know how it turns out! Renee

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2013-02-01, 2:27pm
Artistically Absorbed

I agree with Mary on the clear core and encase with color, red, orange and yellow often can be fickle to encase. I have even had trouble with Chartreuse type greens, because I think they are more yellow than green. After I started laying down a clear core, I have had almost no problems, I think any that have cracked were from my not reheating enough before going in the kiln.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64