Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-10-30, 8:58pm

Default Tile/glass saw recommendations

Well, after months of procrastination, it is time for me to finally get a saw that I can use to cut heavy 40 mm plus borosilicate rod. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to buy one of the high-end lapidary type saws designed specifically for glass/stone. What do you all recommend? Thanks!

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-31, 12:54am
kinda torching....

Check out harbor freights wet saws maybe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-10-31, 9:04am
Dazed and Confused

I have a Taurus Ring Saw, made by Gemini that I use to cut 1" pattern bars of 90 COE.

The diamond ring cuts through pretty much anything, so I reckon it wouldn't blink at Boro.

ETA - they're about $350 USD new, but I bet you could find a second-hand one for considerably less.

Last edited by speedingpullet; 2013-10-31 at 9:17am.
Old 2013-10-31, 9:16am
Glass Addict

When I worked as a tile installer... the best saw for porcelain tile (which will chip and fracture if you're not careful) we used the MK101. It is much more compact and for specialty precision type of work. It also uses diamond blades... 8" diameter if I remember correctly (it's been a few years).

Old 2013-10-31, 12:45pm
kinda torching....

Oh and if you push the glass into the blades you will chip the glass, get uneven cuts and ruin the blade.
Use the saw as you would a hack saw, let the blade glide over the surface of the glass, slow and steady can't be more stressed.

Btw there's also a way to score and cut anything any size with precision and less waste. No saw needed. Using just your torch and some water.

Old 2013-10-31, 1:09pm

I haven't had much luck with the score and snap using thermal shock by water when I am using rod that is over an inch in diameter.

The MK 101 looks really nice, but it costs more than I can afford right now.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2013-10-31, 1:19pm

I am still looking for a saw, but I also just found out that I can rent an MK 101 at a local studio for a very reasonable price per hour. I can cut a lot of 44 mm rod in an hour. Here is their info if anybody else needs to do the same. http://www.heliosglass.com/

Old 2013-10-31, 2:39pm

glad you found that place.

just for other i will throw what i have found the more you spend on a saw the cleaner cut you can get but it will never be a clean cut. So when you go to use it you will need to clean up the cut anyway you cut it. i had one of these cheap tile saw from some tile work around the house and found it dose a good job. the cut is 22.22 mm deep so you could roll the 44 mm rod and cut it or i just make on pass and the cut is half way and then tap it on counter and it snap there. i got the idea from buying pre-made tubing from Golden Gate they just make a saw cut that get to the inside of the tube and then snap it.

so hopefully that will work good for you..
but for $50 buck you could cut as many as you want when ever you want without having to carry thing and drive back and forth. just have more clean up when melting the rod.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in...ray-69230.html

good luck and cut away.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2013-11-21, 8:07am
Pyromaniac

Nice post. I may need to pick one of those 4" saws up.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy