Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-01-23, 11:26am

Default NEW - Making Beautiful Encased Murrini Beads Tutorial :-D

Hi everyone!

I am very excited to announce the release of my 2nd tutorial called, "Making Beautiful Encased Murirni Beads"

After writing my first tutorial on how to make murrini, it seemed like a natural next step to share my method of encasing murrini chips – which is my absolute favorite way to use murrini, by the way.

I first started making these beads just to see how my handmade murrini looked under encasement. But the beads didn't always turn out as nicely as I would have liked. Either the murrini smeared and distorted or I couldn't fit as many murrini chips neatly into the design as I wanted, and I had a hard time getting the clear glass encasement shaped evenly.

I really wanted the murrini to look just as pretty in my encased beads as they looked snipped right off the cane. I became a bit obsessed with figuring out a reliable way of making these beads so the murrini looked great and the beads consistently came out nice and symmetrical.

After a ton of trial and error over the past year, I developed a series of steps that help me produce really beautiful encased murrini beads each and every time – no matter what murrini I use.

When I started out writing this tutorial I didn’t think it would be nearly as big of a project as it turned out to be. But there was just SO much to information to share! As I wrote it, it kept growing because I kept thinking of more and more tips you should know.

I’ve included information like how best to place the murrini to maximize the spacing of each chip, how to keep the murrini from distorting under the encasement when you apply the clear and then shape the bead. I also included 6 variations for other design elements you can add to your encased murrini beads, in place of murrini chips, to change the theme of the bead (to make a coral reef bead or a floral bead).

There’s even a troubleshooting section with solutions to common mishaps that can occur along the way as you make this style bead, and a handy torch-side reference guide that you can easily refer to when you’re at the torch making a bead.

I poured everything I know about how best to make encased murrini beads into this tutorial – that’s why it ended up being 90 pages long (with over 80 of those pages instructional). There’s well over 200 color photos showing each and every step from start to finish. There’s also two pages with photos of my own encased murrini beads for additional ideas and inspiration.

I hope you enjoy my new tutorial as much as I have enjoyed writing it. And I also hope that, like me, you fall in love with making encased murrini beads!!

This tutorial is now available in my Etsy shop.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2013-01-23, 1:55pm

Thanks so much for your purchases! If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me

Old 2013-01-23, 3:46pm

Cool Beans!!!!

Old 2013-01-26, 9:42pm
Otter

Hey Christie,

I just wanted to let you know how great your tutorial is. I have been trying to make encased murrini beads for a long time I just love the raised encased murrini look but could not get a bead I was happy with. I worked with your tutorial today man it helped me finally figure it out your tutorial is full of really good information I even learned some new encasing tricks. I am so happy you did this tut you did a great job.

Thank you,

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-01-26, 10:41pm

Hi John-thanks so much for your kind words I am so happy to hear you're getting a lot out of the tutorial and it's helping you! Thanks again and enjoy

Old 2013-01-27, 9:10am
what a blast!

WOW, I just ordered it at 10:34 amd by 10:47 it was in my inbox! BRAVO Catherine on such a detailed, thorough, wonderful tutorial. I just read through it and I am sooooooooo impressed with the amount of detail and how much you have shared. It was John`s testimonial in this thread that made me purchase this as I have bought murrini from him in the past, and he knows murrini . . lol.

Now to get down to the torch and play!

Thanks Catherine for some much needed inspiration . . .Carol

Old 2013-01-27, 11:01am

Thank you Carol for your feedback! I am very glad that you learned so much from the tutorial - I'd love to see some of your beautiful beads if you get a chance. And if you ever have any questions at all please let me know

Have a great day!

Old 2013-01-27, 12:13pm
Otter

I just took my first beads out of the kiln this morning and they are so much better than what I have been able to make before so happy with the results now for some more ppp.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-01-27, 1:16pm
Melody of Glass

I've been eyeing this up for a few days. I love tutorials and probably have more than I'll ever attempt but I learn from all of them. You guys have put me over the edge! Just pulled the trigger on it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-01-27, 1:24pm
Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliente View Post
I've been eyeing this up for a few days. I love tutorials and probably have more than I'll ever attempt but I learn from all of them. You guys have put me over the edge! Just pulled the trigger on it.
Lol I resisted for 2 days and just had to get it to see if I could find the steps I was missing working own.

I am going out to play some more today have fun.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-01-28, 11:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I just took my first beads out of the kiln this morning and they are so much better than what I have been able to make before so happy with the results now for some more ppp.

John
That's awesome John! I can't tell you how happy it makes me to hear this because this was my ultimate goal writing the tutorial - sharing what I've learned through so much trial and error to try and help others get past all that and just make amazing beads.

Thanks for posting this!

Old 2013-01-28, 7:20pm

Love this tutorial! I also love the look of encased murrini, but had some difficulty hitting the "Aha!" moment till I read through this one. Did my first one with out the bead roller , so it isn't perfect round, but that prompted me to get one!

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-01-30, 3:45pm

I thought I'd post some encased murrini beads I made recently for some more inspiration. Thank you again to everyone who purchased this tutorial. I hope you're finding it useful
Attached Images

Old 2013-01-30, 3:58pm
Renee

missed the sale

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2013-01-30, 4:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlaurel View Post
missed the sale
The tutorial is still available in my Etsy store under the Tutorials category on the left.

Old 2013-02-06, 8:42pm
Otter

I thought I would post a few beads I made using your tutorial.

John

Murrini for Sale

#R124
Old 2013-02-06, 8:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I thought I would post a few beads I made using your tutorial.

John

These are stunning John! Beautiful job

Old 2013-03-31, 6:41am
Melody of Glass

Love the technique and the tutorial, Christie! These are my first two attempts. Need work but I'm pretty happy with them for a first shot.

First one. You really do need bullet-proof bead release for this. It broke free as I was shaping.
Name:  Murrini bead A 2.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  61.9 KB

Second attempt:
Name:  Murrini B.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  76.3 KB
Name:  Murrini B 3.jpg
Views: 2688
Size:  57.7 KB

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-31, 6:58am

Wow, very nice beads everyone.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-03-31, 7:00am

Quote:
Love the technique and the tutorial, Christie! These are my first two attempts. Need work but I'm pretty happy with them for a first shot.

First one. You really do need bullet-proof bead release for this. It broke free as I was shaping.
Attachment 136261

Second attempt:
Attachment 136262
Attachment 136263
WOW Melody! So pretty!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-03-31, 6:54pm

Beautiful! I can't believe this is your first attempt! Very well done

Quote:

Attachment 136261

Second attempt:
Attachment 136262
Attachment 136263

Old 2013-04-01, 6:31pm
Melody of Glass

Thanks! I really enjoyed making these. Definitely some learnings during these two but I think they are my favourite beads I've made so far

Coming soon...

Old 2013-06-04, 1:50pm
Companion

Wonderful tutorial! I hope i get some torch time on thursday...
Don't you cry no more
Old 2013-06-06, 9:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffi View Post
Wonderful tutorial! I hope i get some torch time on thursday...
Thank you! Would love to see your beautiful murrini beads

Old 2013-06-06, 11:53am

Thank you verry much Christie,
your tutorial is great,
best
Angela
Old 2013-06-06, 3:43pm
Companion

Here's a quick and not so good pic from my phone...i'm not too satisfied with them. Need lots of practice.
Attached Images

Don't you cry no more
Old 2013-06-06, 7:14pm
Melody of Glass

I think they came out great, Steffi. I particularly like the blue centre on the middle bead.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-01-21, 2:42am

Lightbulb my beads

I brought your tutorial, and I think it's wonderful . Learnt so much from it, I made my own murrini but...wow am blown away. Hoping to attach my first attempts bare with me!

DSCF0934 by C Glass, on Flickr
DSCF0937 by C Glass, on Flickr
The bottom one , black is the first attempt and the top is my second attempt, better heat control xxx
Thank you xx

Last edited by c-glass; 2014-01-21 at 2:59am.
Old 2014-01-21, 6:31am

Wow ! C-Glass these came out wonderful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-glass View Post
I brought your tutorial, and I think it's wonderful . Learnt so much from it, I made my own murrini but...wow am blown away. Hoping to attach my first attempts bare with me!

DSCF0934 by C Glass, on Flickr
DSCF0937 by C Glass, on Flickr
The bottom one , black is the first attempt and the top is my second attempt, better heat control xxx
Thank you xx

~
~
~
~
Old 2014-01-21, 1:21pm

c-glass those are gorgeous!