Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-10-22, 7:14am
ManBearPig

Default Bead release for borosilicate?

What's the best bead release for borosilicate these days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2015-10-22, 8:59am

I'm partial to Fusion. It seems to get along with the climate here for everything. Clean up is hella easy too, most times I just run the mandrel through (underwater of course) and it's clean. Chad making beads? What?!?

Old 2015-10-22, 9:01am
ManBearPig

Yeah. My wife is getting back into making jewelry and finally setting up her web site and Etsy shop and she wants some beads to make it with.

Old 2015-10-22, 9:08am

Nice! I wish her well. (and you should make her clean the beads lol)

Old 2015-10-25, 12:31am
midnight.dreary

I'm a newbie when it comes to boro, but i've been using Foster Fire for boro. So far so good.

Old 2015-10-25, 6:57pm

Fusion!

Old 2015-10-26, 9:49am

Ditto on the Fusion
Old 2015-10-26, 11:20am

foster fire smooth and tuff....or if i plan on making a huge bead i use heavy duty, but i like the consistency of the s&t.
Old 2015-10-26, 1:38pm
midnight.dreary

I have to know now, is this regular Fusion everyone is talking about, or is there a special kind for boro?

Old 2015-10-27, 6:52pm

I only know of one kind of Fusion. Here's what it looks like:
http://www.abrimagery.com/store/prod...se-32oz-p-4638

Old 2015-10-27, 9:47pm
midnight.dreary

Thank you
Old 2015-10-27, 10:24pm
Flamewoman

I have always used "Sludge" from Arrow Springs. I also like their mandrels too, they hold up longer than others I have used.
Lewis Wilson uses it too, it holds up to lots of heat.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2015-11-09, 7:21pm
Renee

Fusion for sure!

"All unattended children will be given an expresso and a FREE puppy!"
Old 2015-11-18, 4:13pm
Playing with Fire!

Fusion works best for us with boro, been using it for over 10 years with no complaints.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2015-11-18, 8:17pm
Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
I have always used "Sludge" from Arrow Springs. I also like their mandrels too, they hold up longer than others I have used.
Lewis Wilson uses it too, it holds up to lots of heat.
have used this for years, but it is now no longer made as far as i can tell. just ordered some foster fire to see how it is.

Old 2015-11-18, 8:20pm
Loving learning

And that reminds me that I did a little play with my boro shorts, trying to figure it out a bit. When I took them off the mandrels I tossed them in my water bowl to soak until I cleaned them the next day, and there was nothing to clean! Is this normal? My 104 stuff still had the release in them.