No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-02-02, 7:23am
Certified Glassaholic!

What I need is one of these!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-02, 10:11am
Master Procrastinator

When Tower Records was going out of business I bought up this revolving tower. I'm not sure what it was meant to hold, but it holds frit now. And I've gotten yet MORE frit since this picture so the presses have been relocated as a result.

Old 2009-02-02, 10:12am
Master Procrastinator

That's a cool lazy susan Yeepers! Where did you see that?

Old 2009-02-02, 11:13am
Your Royal Fritness

When we finished off the basement my frit storage changed I found an cute behind the door shelf plan in a magazine and it works perfectly.
Attached Images

Old 2009-02-03, 9:47am
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
When Tower Records was going out of business I bought up this revolving tower. I'm not sure what it was meant to hold, but it holds frit now. And I've gotten yet MORE frit since this picture so the presses have been relocated as a result.

Thanks for adding some more ideas everyone!

Wow!!! Now there a frit tower for sure. I'd be having to come up with more room for that badboy somewhere.

Keep the ideas coming, please. I've checked through all the threads here on LE. I wish I did a little more lampworking. I'd have the Hubby start working on plans to build me a lampwork play house in the back yard. Why not, folks do it for their kids. Mine's 14 and doesn't need one anymore. There's a few folks on here who have killer studios. I've played with the idea and explained to him that it would get me out of his garage. I'm sure that if one hot piece of glass makes it's way over to the other side of the garage and damages his Shelby GT500 I'll have my backyard playhouse within a week. Wow, I could have the awesome frit tower then.

Old 2009-02-03, 9:59am
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
What I need is one of these!!!

EXACTLY!!!

With so many places closing up shop due to our economy I bet there's many of these huge items for the pickings.

Old 2009-02-04, 7:41pm
Formerly Sassygirl

My frit storage

This is slightly over half the frit I have and I need to build more shelves.

Old 2009-02-04, 8:24pm
Master Procrastinator

So you built those shelves yourself Stacie? Nice job! I like the lip on the edges so the frit doesn't fall out.

Old 2009-02-04, 11:33pm
Formerly Sassygirl

I told hubby what I was envisioning and he ran with it and built them. They are just peices of 1x4 held up with heavy duty L brackets with a decorative molding across the front for a lip. We get quakes around here so he thought a lip was good. They arent pefectly even but I love them and they hold lots of frit jars. Thats 140 jars up there plus baggies in between.

Old 2009-02-05, 7:07am
Insomniac Beader

Every summer I make a lot of pasta salad with marinated artichoke hearts...

The empty jars are the perfect size for homemade frit mixes and have handy lids that stay on tight. I keep my frit jars in a big red plastic toolbox and only take them out if I plan to use them during a bead-making session. I don't have any shelf space or really any wall space in my temporary studio, so this works for me.
Old 2009-02-05, 5:55pm
Mary Lockwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz View Post
has anyone ever used spice jars on a lazy susan type thing for frit? Maybe it doesn't have enough jars for the frit obsessed... I got one of those things as a gift one year, and well, I'm spice obsessed, and there is no way I could narrow things down to that few jars. I buy some spices by the pound, so little jars wouldn't cut it.
I use that exactly. It holds 16 jars but I've never been a frit person because I don't like to mix different coe glasses.

However, now that I've started switching over 96 instead of 104 I will probably order more frits and get a second frit spinner.

I'll come back and post a picture of the spice rack I have. My mom bought it for herself for Christmas and didn't like it so I asked for it. She gave it to me and then got mad because I dumped all the spices out and put frit in the bottles. LOL

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...azy-Susan-Base

Last edited by Moth; 2009-02-05 at 5:58pm.
Old 2009-02-05, 6:27pm

Stacie, I love you for making me look sane.

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-02-05, 8:58pm

I'm not a big frit person either, but I use glass spice jars. nice steel threaded top, easy to take off and I use glass because most of my frit use is used to back pendants. so i just lower the piece into the jar, cover the backing and then marver. they where dirt cheap at the World Market Place and their nice looking to boot.
Attached Images

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2009-02-06, 3:42pm
SierraCatz

I go to the thrift stores and get old spice carousels and go to a local bulk buy grocery store to get their empty plastic spice jars. I also use the tall bottle ice cube tray for stringer storage ..WOW..did you see that Aimee has 8!!!!!!..I have just 1! but I'm growing...LOL

Have you ever seen Toni Lutman's frit storage...go to her website at Wildwoodartglass and take a look at her studio!

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown

Last edited by sierracatzlampwork; 2009-02-06 at 3:45pm.
Old 2009-02-09, 5:57am
N2Beadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierracatzlampwork View Post
Have you ever seen Toni Lutman's frit storage...go to her website at Wildwoodartglass and take a look at her studio!
I had to go check this out. WOW!!!

Here's the link...
http://www.wildwoodsartglass.com/pages/aboutme.php scroll down to see her studio pic

I love her set up!!!

Old 2009-02-10, 9:08am
Formerly Sassygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLC Beads View Post
Stacie, I love you for making me look sane.

from one frit ho to another lol.

Old 2009-02-10, 10:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacied View Post
from one frit ho to another lol.

I made Brian look at your picture -
Me: "Look! I'm not that bad!"
Him: "You have more than that."
Me: "No, read! That's half of hers!"
Him: "You still have more than that."
Me: "...really? Cool."

~:
~:

~:

Old 2009-02-10, 12:19pm
Formerly Sassygirl

Ok Nikki just tell him that my glass hoarding makes my frit hoarding look small. It really is easy to amass that much frit when there are so many pretty colors out there and all. If ya ever need a color let me know and we can trade.

Old 2009-02-10, 2:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacied View Post
Ok Nikki just tell him that my glass hoarding makes my frit hoarding look small. It really is easy to amass that much frit when there are so many pretty colors out there and all. If ya ever need a color let me know and we can trade.
We're not getting into the glass hoarding... And he's wonderful, he encourages my addiction. Likewise on color swaps for me, too, just let me know.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2009-02-10, 6:50pm

Quote:

Quote:
We're not getting into the glass hoarding... And he's wonderful, he encourages my addiction. Likewise on color swaps for me, too, just let me know.
ROFLMAO.....
(just ask Nikki how much glass she's allowed to have UPSTAIRS )

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-10, 7:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
ROFLMAO.....
(just ask Nikki how much glass she's allowed to have UPSTAIRS )
He may have twitched when I brought up 4 baggies of frit...

~:
~:

~:

Old 2009-02-10, 10:18pm
MacGalver

Does anyone know if walmart is still carrying those tall skinny ice cube trays for storing stringer?

That is what they sell them for, right?!

Jo

Old 2009-02-11, 3:16am
Tonbodama Murrini maker

WOW and i thought i was a frit addict!!!!

No pictures to show jet, but will try to take some.

I have a question for al of you. Would you rather buy your frit in a jar or in those re-zipable bags so you can choose yoru own storage jars or.....

Chrissy

Currently on a Knight Bullet and 2 oxycons and tanked oxy

|
|
|
|
|
|
Old 2009-02-11, 4:03am

Inititally I like jars because they're less likely to spill and easier to pour frit into and out of. I like the option of bags as refills, though.

~:
~:

~:

Old 2009-02-11, 11:54am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

Quote:

LOL too funny! I have a 2 tier stanless steel twirling spice rack with glass bottles for my 104 and the rest - well, let's just say that at least *I* know where all the colors are. lol I'm not taking a picture until I get some of ya'lls ideas incorporated into my shop.

Also, I like mine either way. If they come from Val or GG I'll take the containers! If I buy from someone in the GS I'll take baggies. I have both at home and 2 trays of jars waiting to be filled with frit.

Last edited by Elegance_1; 2009-02-11 at 11:56am.
Old 2009-02-13, 5:13am

Hey Jo,
Walmart has the tube style ice cube trays for storing stringer. They are on the bottom shelf on the same aisle as regular ice cube trays.
I need more frit.
Old 2009-02-13, 5:30am

Damn why don't we have a Walmart, I really love those icecube trays!

I buy my frit almost always in ziplock baggies. I have a habbit of liking small jam jars, and everyone around me knows that. So all the small jars are kept and given to me
I still need a good way to put them somewhere, like the tiny bookshelve idea. Will have to look sweet to my soon to be hubbie

http://tutorials.kralalien.nl
Old 2009-02-13, 6:06am

Carolien,
Size 10 x 4 x 3 inches and will not fit into a flat rate box.
Would shipping be expensive to you ??
Old 2009-02-13, 9:23am
Formerly Sassygirl

I get my own jars through this company

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...oduct%5Fid=182

If the frit comes in a jar then I take it but I think I prefer baggies as it is usually less expensive and I can transfer it into my own jars.

Old 2009-02-13, 3:54pm

I have a few left of these containers with 56 1/4oz jars with lids left if anyone is interesred. please PM me for details.
Attached Images