Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-03-01, 11:38pm
dances with ideas...

Default Drab beads and bones

I've been meaning to start donating to BOC for some time now, but haven't been clear on what would be useful. Tonight I finally read through a lot of threads here and have some great inspiration! I really appreciate other people posting photos so I could gain some idea of what might be suitable. I have a lot of ideas now!

So it appears that simple beads are still useful to BOC, but I wanted to get some feedback mostly on whether sort of drab, not very colorful beads are helpful. (Or should I say "subdued"? I think that sounds better...) And what about things like bones? Spacers of a single color? When I get a chance I can post a picture or 2.

Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to contributing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-02, 5:43am
Run Free Sweet Boy

Roberta, all beads are welcome and useful. They have multiple programs and uses for the beads. Like a bereavement program where family members make a memory bracelet. They have things for sale that are strung on ebay etc etc etc. So, findings, beads etc etc are fine and needed. As long as the beads are safe thay are perfect.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2011-03-02, 9:24am

Hi Roberta,
What we need most are 'Act of Courage' beads. These are given when a child experiences an event beyond the things that we give the regular program beads for (hard days, surgeries, etc.). Act of Courage beads can take almost any form that you would like to make- it's an opportunity for you let your imagination go and make new things or whatever you want to do. You never know what will appeal to a child, so even beads that you might think are drab might be just the ticket. We do have a few specific, though. These include making sure that the bead release is cleaned out, you have nice 'puckers' on the ends of the beads and that there are no sharp edges. We also ask that you refrain from using reduction frit or glass on the surface due to heavy metal issues with these materials. The 3/32 mandrel is preferred but other sizes are also usable. When you send your beads please include a brief inventory in the package along with your contact information. We want to send you a Thank You certificate and a receipt for your donation.

Thanks much,
Robert
Old 2011-03-02, 5:28pm
dances with ideas...

Got it! Thanks so much!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.