No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-09-23, 3:43pm
Who me?

Default Upgrade to Creation Station

My Creation Station was in pretty bad shape - I got it at the Gathering in Louisville 3 years ago.

I admit I'm a pretty sloppy bead maker and I drop lots of hot glass and shoot shards everywhere. The first photo is what the surface of my Creation Station looked like - burned and warped. The next photos are my newly upgraded Creation Station.

I pulled the flimsy aluminum sheet off the top and took it to my local sheet metal shop and had them make me a new one from 20 gauge shiny stainless steel. I even had them make stainless to fit my elbow rests since I even had burns on them - don't even ask what happened to the rubber mats that were on them.

I am really pleased with the job they did - even rounded the corners when I told them they could miter them if rounded was too much trouble.

I'm sure this stainless will hold up much better than that flimsy aluminum did - well, I'm sure if would have been okay if I weren't such a sloppy lampworker.

So, if you are like me, upgrade your Creation Station too.
Attached Images

Old 2008-09-23, 4:09pm
moth to the flame

Wow, what a difference the upgrade made!!!

Mine is still ok but I will definitely remember this

Hey, I have a Bobcat too! Someday my torch set up will look like yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2008-09-23, 4:47pm

Man, I just cannot fathom what you did to that poor thing. It looks like you attacked it with a hammer - or worse. I got mine at the same time - same place. The worst I have done is burned the elbow and wrist pads in a few places.

It looks great - but if it were cheapo me, I'd have bought the new metal and cut it out myself.
Old 2008-09-23, 4:53pm
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
Man, I just cannot fathom what you did to that poor thing. It looks like you attacked it with a hammer - or worse. I got mine at the same time - same place. The worst I have done is burned the elbow and wrist pads in a few places.

It looks great - but if it were cheapo me, I'd have bought the new metal and cut it out myself.
Yeah, the hot glass falling on it (when the glass rods snapped right behind a big gather) warped the heck out of it. Told you I was a slob.

I'm Cheapo too - but I'm saving my hands for rebuilding the side deck while DH is away this week - I'll let you know if it was worth it to have someone else do it when I get the bill.

Last edited by swamper; 2008-09-24 at 3:11am.
Old 2008-09-23, 7:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You need to market these upgrades.....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-09-24, 3:10am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
You need to market these upgrades.....

Dale
Thanks for the comment, Dale but I'll leave that for someone else. Creation Station has evolved - there are at least two shapes of them now.

For a few dollars more the makers could have used stainless steel - we sure don't see any tools made of aluminum - must be a reason for that - oh yeah, aluminum has a lower melting temperature than steel.

There is nothing else that I see on the Creation Station that breaks or wears out - it's a shame they scrimped and used aluminum. Guess they didn't have the forsight to see messy folks like me.

Last edited by swamper; 2008-09-24 at 6:44am.
Old 2008-09-24, 6:13am
one day at a time

Dang...for what someone would have to pay for one of those it should be made of stainless steel! I have a SS worksurface with HH brackets attached and that was only about $30 brand new.
Old 2008-09-24, 6:52am
MomOnAMission

Dang girl, your hard on your CS!! LOL Looks great now
Old 2008-09-24, 7:19am

I drop hot glass on my CS all the time and it doesn't do that so perhaps they' did upgraded their newer releases. I imagine when it comes to shipping costs aluminum is lighter than stainless. So maybe they were trying to save the consumer on shipping costs?

I do need new elbow pads (hint hint RAOGK!) But other than that mine is still in great shape minus a few burn marks on the writs pads and on the wood. I have to say my legs arms and hands bare more burn marks then my Creation Station.

I love it!