Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-01-24, 5:29am
Lover of all things color

Default What can I use to permanently mark mandrels

I'm trying to find something that I can use to mark mandrels. I just ordered some of the larger 5/32 mandrels for the pandora beads and was trying to find something I could permanently mark them with.

I did a searach and saw that for classes stringers are used but I need something that I can mark them with so that I can tell them from the 3/32 mandrels.

I have to say, I haven't received them yet, maybe they will be enough larger that I will be able to tell them apart but I was just wondering if there was something that I could mark them with that wouldn't melt off. I guess fingernail polish is out as it would just melt when the mandrel got hot in the kiln.
I'm sure glad I did a search here first, I was set to use the finger nail polish...LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-24, 5:59am
Gonna get blow'd up!

I filed notches into mine. 3 for the 3/32, 5 for the 5/32

Old 2011-01-24, 6:13am

Copperrein, that is simply brilliant!
Old 2011-01-24, 6:27am

I laid mine out on a piece of cardboard and sprayed the end with high-temp paint. It's been fine for several years.
Joan
Old 2011-01-24, 6:28am
sunscreen me baby

If you can tell the difference between 1/16th and 3/32, you will be able to tell these apart as well.

I do have some mandrels that need to be double dipped to fit Pandora and I put black sharpie on the end that stays out of the kiln. It has lasted over a year of at least weekly use.

~

Last edited by SuzyQ; 2011-01-24 at 6:30am. Reason: added something
Old 2011-01-24, 6:44am

Oooh, I like the notches AND the sharpie. I think I'll do both.
I use a pair of pliers to get the beads off the mandrels and tend to notch them anyway...LOL This way if the notches get messed up maybe the sharpie will still be there.

Thanks guys, you always come to the rescue. Now just to get them in the mail.

As for telling 1/16 and 3/32 apart SuzyQ, I can, so maybe this will be moot...LOL Sure hope so. I have those 1/16 mandrels, I have not use for them, I ruin them every time I try to get a bead off the mandrel.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-24, 7:31am
Live and Let Live

The 5/32 are MUCH beefier and you should be able to tell them apart by sight and feel with no problem.

Old 2011-01-24, 7:57am

Oooh Lisa, your scaring me...LOL I have a couple of really fat, I mean FAT mandrels, I wonder if those are 5/32??? If I just bought 2 dozen of those suckers I'm going to be sick to my stomach...yikes.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-24, 8:17am
I'm meeeeelting

You'll be able to tell them apart by sight, however nail polish works well if you use a kiln with a bead door (vs. putting the entire mandrel in the kiln).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2011-01-24, 8:27am
Peerless Thread Killer

If you're feeling adventurous, you can get a digital caliper, measure them, then group them together.
I have a board I drilled to hold the dipped mandrels by size.

Old 2011-01-24, 8:45am

Thanks Nina, I have a board for the three main sizes I have but I'm wondering if I'm going to need new holes for these...we shall see.

So, I can use the nail polish? I use a bee hive kiln with bead doors. The mandrels do get pretty hot, even the part that sticks out.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-24, 9:35am
Borovangelist

They sell markers you can use too. The welding shops have them fairly cheaply, and Bullseye sells one that is supposed to last up to kiln temps.

|
|
Old 2011-01-24, 10:16am

Can someone, who has a caliper measure one for me. I'm going to go measure the big one I have and see what it measures out as.

thanks,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-24, 10:18am

OK, I just measured mine and it's 1/4" or 6.5mm Ok, I feel better now. These things are heavy...LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2011-01-24, 12:24pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Every serious beader should have a digital caliper! They are so cheap now that it is rediculous; they are cheaper than the old linear ones. Ten years ago I paid several hundred dollars for decent digitals. Harbor freight, Enco, and others have them in the less than $20 range.
JMHO, PJ
Old 2011-01-24, 7:58pm

I tried to group mine together... no luck keeping them that way

I used the etching tip for my dremel and wrote the actual size on one end. You can get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $10, $7 on sale.
Old 2011-01-24, 8:44pm
Borovangelist

Just a note about the digital ones, if you happen to have a shop that gets ice cold, maybe take them inside; the cold kills them pretty fast.

|
|
Old 2011-01-24, 9:14pm
Alaska Boro

If you have some twist drills use the drill index to check for sizes. Or make each set a different length. Say a 1/2 shorter for the 3/32 and keep the 5/32 at twelve inches. Works well for quick sorting.