No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-03-01, 7:20am
Lifelong Student

Default Got wire storage?

I have various different gauges of wire that are on spools or coiled. Trying to figure out how to organize them so they are organized yet easily accessible. How do you organize your wire?
Old 2016-03-01, 7:25am

I have mine in a sterlite drawer but have seen people on pintrest that have it in a wooden rack with a wood dowel to store it. Would not work for silver though
MarieAnn
Old 2016-03-01, 7:36am

I keep thinking that one of those ribbon storage/dispenser units would work pretty well, but I haven't tried it. Maybe this link will work...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...aH0&ajaxhist=0
Old 2016-03-01, 9:53am

Mine is in a sterlite drawer too. The only favor I've done myself is to clearly label all the coils. What gage, how hard, what mfr.
Old 2016-03-01, 12:24pm
Must..have..more...glass

I mis-read that as "wine" storage. LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-03-01, 12:38pm

I keep mine in coils and put each gauge in a gallon zip lock bag, then pit the bags by size into an accordion folder.
Old 2016-03-01, 12:39pm

oh, i label the bags with the gauge size
Old 2016-03-01, 12:41pm
I'm meeeeelting

Most of mine are coiled. I keep them in 3-hole punched plastic envelope-like folders in a three ring binder, divided by gauge and metal type. I used to keep them in plastic bags, but I got tired of having to dig through them for the correct ones each time I wanted to make something.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2016-03-01 at 7:23pm.
Old 2016-03-01, 12:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyuno View Post
Most of mine are coiled. I keep them in plastic 3-hole punched plastic envelope like folders in a three ring binder, divided by gauge and metal type. I used to keep them in plastic bags, but I got tired of having to dig through them for the correct ones each time I wanted to make something.
Really like this idea, Felicia. Right now I'm keeping them in zippies in a drawer. Not great.

Old 2016-03-01, 4:32pm
Lifelong Student

I'm liking that idea too Felicia. That will work very well for my coiled silver.

There have been some really good suggestions here, thanks
Old 2016-03-01, 6:19pm
Dix Harrison

I used these extra-heavy-duty clear folders to store my coiled sterling and fine silver wire. A separate folder is used for each gauge.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

Then, I place the individual folders in a binder. The folders are zip-top and prevent tarnish.
Attached Images

Old 2016-03-01, 7:31pm
I'm meeeeelting

I like those!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2016-03-01, 9:23pm
Corgi Cult Member

I keep mine in labeled gallon ziplock bags, then all of the bags are in a plastic storage container that was intended to hold 12x12 scrapbook paper. The squarish shape of the container works well with the size of the coils, although different silver suppliers seem to coil their silver differently. I think I also have a spool of 30ga hanging out in the corner of the container.

I never take the banding off the coil that it is shipped with. Instead I unwind the amount I will need for a given project. I find the coil stays more manageable that way.

Old 2016-03-01, 10:08pm
Lifelong Student

Would it be bad to wrap coiled sterling onto spools?
Old 2016-03-01, 11:40pm

I love the binder idea, I have tried using a wooden dowel ribbon store but it wasn't very clear which gauge was which and it got tangled up sometimes.

Old 2016-03-01, 11:55pm
I'm meeeeelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mina View Post
Would it be bad to wrap coiled sterling onto spools?
I did that to contain a couple of ounces of sterling that I wanted to take with me to Cabo last year for Viking Knit. It worked just fine.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Old 2016-03-02, 6:20pm

Mine are coiled, in plastic zip locks and stored in hanging files by metal and gauge in a portable file box.

Georgia
Old 2016-03-03, 1:07pm
Colors outside the lines

I keep my various gauge coils of copper wire in this fishing line keeper- works well as there is an opening to pull it through and it doesn't get all tangled up. I got this idea from Sharilyn Miller.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00

I keep sterling and other wire in a zippered folder with compartments sized for scrap booking sized paper. - got it at Michael's with a coupon. I keep it in individually labelled ziplock bags.
Old 2016-03-03, 2:31pm
Senior Moment

I use one of these; the drawers are just deep enough for most (not all) wire spools:

Name:  image_11844.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  46.0 KB

Harbor Freight has em; sometimes they have a coupon for $20 off as well: http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-st...est-94538.html

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2016-03-03, 3:48pm
Salt Box Beads

I have two main drawers for my wire plus another 'safe' location for the gold and silver wire.

We went to look at a vintage sewing machine and the man had the fastenal drawers unit for sale, not priced. They had to move from a large home to an appt and he was selling all kinds of things. I knew it would be waaay out of my price range, I asked anyway and when he said $25.00 I couldn't get my money out fast enough!!! We bought the Pfaff sewing machine too.

I had hubby install it on my sewing/jewelry work bench which is industrial and would easily hold it and it was heavy enough to hold all of my large diameter wire on huge spools from Rio Grande. I can barely pull the drawer out.

I know it looks kinda grungy but I did clean and sanitize it, the stains just wouldn't come out. I was sooo tickled to get it. The other drawer pictured houses my smaller wires and some leather too. If you can find any of these heavy metal drawers bargain priced snag em....they are worth it
Attached Images