LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-07-07, 7:09pm

Default New Craft Table/Workbench

I posted this thread over in the family room but since I'm including pictures now I though I'd move it here.

I'm so excited DH promised to help me build my DIY dream craft table today! For those that are familiar with the Pottery Barn craft table, that's my dream craft table. HOWEVER it's super expensive and just not going to happen for me right now or possibly ever. About a month ago I found a blog that had a DIY version of the desk and even better at price we could afford. Well, i got all the supplies to do it and before the boys get home from camp tomorrow DH promised to help me with it. Can't wait to have space to make jewelry, sew and do my paper crafts!

If anyone else is interested the link to the blog is right below.

http://www.anythingpretty.com/2009/0...raft-desk.html

So far this is what DH and I have managed to put together. I've made some changes like doing away with the decorative trim and instead my table will be white to match the rest of the trim already in the room. Tomorrow I'll take the sander to it to smoth out my not so wonderful wood putty work and then the paint. So excited to finally be getting my dream room started.
Attached Images

Old 2013-07-07, 7:14pm
Loving learning

That is going to be wonderful!
Old 2013-07-07, 7:22pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
That is going to be wonderful!
I think so as well. DH even suggested possibly attaching a yardstick on the side for my sewing. Eventually I want to get a big comfy chair and some other furniture in there to make it nice and cozy. My son is also pretty excited because I plan on getting two stools so he can do his drawing and painting. He's outgrowing his art desk (see well loved table in background.)
Old 2013-07-07, 11:34pm
I'm meeeeelting

Very nice!

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-08, 5:11am

Clicked on link, doesn't work?
Old 2013-07-08, 7:00am

Love it!!

Old 2013-07-08, 7:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsmom View Post
Clicked on link, doesn't work?
Oooops sorry. Try this link instead. If you click on the DIY tab you can scroll down and see the desk.

http://www.anythingpretty.com/
Old 2013-07-08, 7:23am

Erin, that's great! We worked on the same project, yesterday! Today I am filling in with putty and getting ready to paint. I'm going with the black and will move upstairs into my craft & glass room. More to come!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-08, 8:00am

Julie, originally I was going to go with black also but my OCD side has to have it match the already existing moulding. I'm weird I know it. LoL. I did the wood putty last night and found a few more spots I need to touch up. Luckily for me when we bought our house four years ago it came with a formal dining room and we don't do formal dining in our family so I claimed it as my craft room. Make sure and post your pictures as well I can't wait to see how your table turns out. For me this is my dream table/room.
Old 2013-07-08, 9:46am
BeadsonCypress

wow. super nice!!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2013-07-08, 10:17am

You're table is going to look beautiful! You should fix dinner on it the first night in your "dining room," lol

I am going to do some puttying today and put some primer on, like I mentioned...waiting on a ton of glass to show up as well! Can't wait to see your progress and finished room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lilypad View Post
Julie, originally I was going to go with black also but my OCD side has to have it match the already existing moulding. I'm weird I know it. LoL. I did the wood putty last night and found a few more spots I need to touch up. Luckily for me when we bought our house four years ago it came with a formal dining room and we don't do formal dining in our family so I claimed it as my craft room. Make sure and post your pictures as well I can't wait to see how your table turns out. For me this is my dream table/room.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-12, 7:01am

Hubby insisted that he sand the table so i had to wait a few days for him to have some time with his school and all to be able to do it. So glad I waited because the table is just awesome. Will be wiping table down to get all the fine dust off of it and painting tomorrow morning! Can't wait to see the end results and will post pictures when it's all done.
Old 2013-07-12, 7:17pm
They see me rollin'...

That is so cool! I am going to have to build one for my sewing room. Thanks for the link!

-Patti

-Patti
Old 2013-07-15, 7:53pm

This was the only way we were getting my new craft table up the stairs...from the outside. Lol. More pics to follow

Attachment 140196

~
~
~
~

Last edited by julieann1674; 2013-12-12 at 6:44am.
Old 2013-07-17, 8:58pm
They see me rollin'...

Yikes! I hope you got it up there ok!

I plan on putting it together IN the sewing room. If I ever move I will have to take it apart again.

-Patti
Old 2013-07-17, 9:12pm
Loving learning

Maybe it's a good thing I never got my 2 story house!
I was thinking if I made one, I'd do it so the trim came down & "captured" the end units so the top could be lifted & removed if I wanted for ease of maneuvering, etc.
Old 2013-07-18, 4:49am

Well, my 13 year old son did suggest to my darling boyfriend that we construct upstairs or put together then with a "removable top" so it wold be easier to move. However, Dave did not listen! So this is how he had to do it, after trying to get it up the wide stairs that we do have. It was a stressful time at the house. haha

I have a smart young boy. LOL

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-19, 7:54pm
They see me rollin'...

Yes you do!

I just know from experience that moving large things upstairs is not a fun thing. When I got a couch off of Craig's List we had to lift it up and over a railing that overlooks the stairs. If we hadn't had a guy installing fencing who was gracious enough to help us, we still wouldn't have a couch in the living room (yes, our living room is upstairs. Weird I know.)

That is a very good idea to make the top removable. I'm thinking that attaching it with wing nuts might work. Because I'm having trouble deciding if I should make the craft table for the sewing room or for the lampworking shed. Or, I could build 2 of them. If the top is removable I can change my mind later and move it.

I got the 9-cube shelves yesterday. I settled on espresso. Tomorrow I will get the rest of the materials to make it. Should be fun!

-Patti
Old 2013-07-19, 8:47pm

We assembled mine in the room it was going to be going in our issue right now is the paint. lol I just had to have white to match the existing moulding however my two attempts to paint it were both epic fails so my husband is once again coming to my rescue to "help" me with the paint. hopefully will have 100% done pictures to share tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire View Post
Yes you do!

I just know from experience that moving large things upstairs is not a fun thing. When I got a couch off of Craig's List we had to lift it up and over a railing that overlooks the stairs. If we hadn't had a guy installing fencing who was gracious enough to help us, we still wouldn't have a couch in the living room (yes, our living room is upstairs. Weird I know.)

That is a very good idea to make the top removable. I'm thinking that attaching it with wing nuts might work. Because I'm having trouble deciding if I should make the craft table for the sewing room or for the lampworking shed. Or, I could build 2 of them. If the top is removable I can change my mind later and move it.

I got the 9-cube shelves yesterday. I settled on espresso. Tomorrow I will get the rest of the materials to make it. Should be fun!
Old 2013-07-20, 5:56am

I will take pictures today after I get some work done and get it cleaned up again. lol

I bought the expresso too, then ended up painting everything. I bought spray paint primer. After the primer, I decided to paint with a black flat texture paint...it covered any imperfections with the cubbies. It looks great.

I am glad I went with the textured paint other than a flat, because I just spent many hours cutting 1000#'s of glass by hand and the glass cutter wore out a mark on the desktop. But once I cleaned up, quick sand and a dash of textured spray paint and you can't even tell. No mess.

I was out yesterday to purchase some organizers for the cubbies or something, but didn't find anything I liked yet. But I use the monster of a desk, everyday. It's fabulous.

After counting all of the receipts it came to under $300. Better than $1,500 from PotteryBarn!! And I would have been SICK if I had wore a bare spot in that desktop.

Pictures later today.

Erin, are you rolling with paint???

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-20, 9:28am

Julie, it looks like a wall. ROFL. DH thought the roller he bought was a foam roller and it wasn't. Needless to say DH will be sanding again this afternoon and making a fourth trip back to Home Depot to get one.

On a positive note both of us should be experts on painting furniture after this is over.
Old 2013-07-20, 10:18am

ohhh, I hope there isn't too much cursing going on. hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lilypad View Post
Julie, it looks like a wall. ROFL. DH thought the roller he bought was a foam roller and it wasn't. Needless to say DH will be sanding again this afternoon and making a fourth trip back to Home Depot to get one.

On a positive note both of us should be experts on painting furniture after this is over.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-20, 10:40am

Here are some final pics of the heavy desk....my room isn't as pretty as yours is going to be Erin. This is my "work" area upstairs; but at least I can stay organized now and I am all in one place in the house. However, my torch is outside in the studio.

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-20, 1:29pm

It looks fabulous Julie! I love it! I really like your workspace as well. Is that where you torch?
Old 2013-07-20, 2:44pm

No, Erin, I have a second work space in the studio/garage. I have propane, oxygen, 240V outlets etc out there so I am all set up in there. Luckily it's an oversized two car garage!!

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-07-31, 1:08pm

Great work tables girls!!
Glad they were able to hoist it up the ladder to get in place
MarieAnn
Old 2013-07-31, 2:56pm

Great job ladies! Looks like a very versatile table. Tremendous savings making it yourselves. Looks like you'll be living in those homes forever. Who wants to move it all again!!! HaHaHa.