LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-03-03, 7:58pm
Angie09

Default What's your favorite frit to use over silver foil?

Now that Amber and others have helped me with the application of silver foil, I'd love to know (and see pis of) what are your favorite Frits to use over silver? Much appreciated!
Old 2013-03-04, 9:11am
Jacqueline Parkes

If you go to beadgoodies , her frit blends list which ones play nice with silver. I hope this helps.

http://www.beadgoodies.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-03-04, 9:54am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
If you go to beadgoodies , her frit blends list which ones play nice with silver. I hope this helps.

http://www.beadgoodies.com/
Thanks so much for the info!! I'll go check it out ... from the number of replies, I'm guessing this is not an appropriate question to be asking.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:20pm
Queen Bee

I think it's a fine question, people are probably just busy, or they don't want to give out their secrets, lol. I'd love to see pics of beads made with silver and frit too One of my favorites is Bead Goodies Astral Meditations with silver. I'll see if I can dig up a picture.

Oh, and I've found a lot of pinks don't look that great with silver, though I'm sure there are exceptions.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2013-03-04 at 12:23pm.
Old 2013-03-04, 12:26pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Here's a free tutorial I did quite a while ago on using silver foil with frit:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...97&postcount=1

The first two sets were done with 96 COE frits; the third set was done with frit that I made myself from Moretti aqua and ink blue.

I love using silver foil with frit that is blue and green based. The colors stay true and the foil stays silver. The red is a little trickier. You have to work slow and cool or it will turn into a liverish color mess. Furnace frits (COE 96) that are in the purple family will turn gold against silver. It's actually a good trick if that's the color you want. If you want purple make your own frit from your glass rods in the color desired.

Let me go look for some more pictures for you.

Old 2013-03-04, 12:35pm
Mary Lockwood

My favorite combo is a base bead of opal yellow, rolled in silver foil, rolled in leopard diva frit. Then melt it all smooth, gravity swirl it, final shaping. I love it.

Old 2013-03-04, 1:13pm
novembersfyre everywhere

These are made with 96 COE frits. The first one is blue based, the second is just green, and I believe the third is a Val Cox blend in peaches and oranges.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-04, 1:28pm
Queen Bee

OMG Mary Beth those are stunning! Are you using the fit on top of dichroic, or is it just silver foil?
Wow!!!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Last edited by BeadBlossoms; 2013-03-04 at 1:35pm.
Old 2013-03-04, 1:38pm
I fart diamonds

Iris Blue, Iris Green, Fuschia. (All Reichenbach) Oh! and Gaffer Jade Green!

Old 2013-03-04, 2:05pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
OMG Mary Beth those are stunning! Are you using the fit on top of dichroic, or is it just silver foil?
Wow!!!
Thank you! Those are just silver foil. I still kind of suck at dichroic

Old 2013-03-04, 2:24pm
Angie09

Mary Beth those are gorgeous ... do you normally just use a clear base for the silver frit. I see OY mentioned ... wondering if you use a color do the transparents or opaques work best?
Old 2013-03-04, 2:25pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Iris Blue, Iris Green, Fuschia. (All Reichenbach) Oh! and Gaffer Jade Green!
Shawnette ... what do you use for a base? I have the Blue and Green and would love to try it.
Old 2013-03-04, 2:30pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Mary Beth those are gorgeous ... do you normally just use a clear base for the silver frit. I see OY mentioned ... wondering if you use a color do the transparents or opaques work best?
For the types of beads pictured above I usually use a pale transparent like light aqua or clear for the base. That way I don't get any unintended reactions.

Here's an example of beads made with copper blue and hyacinth violet frit (it turns gold on silver.) All Reichenbach:
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-04, 2:56pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Shawnette ... what do you use for a base? I have the Blue and Green and would love to try it.
Sometimes clear, sometimes white, sometimes black.

Old 2013-03-04, 6:42pm
Lampworkaholic!

MaryBeth are you encasing 96 frit with 104 clear?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-03-04, 6:54pm
Melody of Glass

I bought both of these frits because I love the beads over silver foil shown in the pic. Oh, and because I have a little frit addiction problem. Haven't tried either over silver foil myself yet, though!

http://www.glassdiversions.com/frit/silvergreen.html
http://www.glassdiversions.com/frit/silverblue.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-03-04, 7:43pm
Queen Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
I don't know about Marybeth, but my Reichenbach copper blue and hyacinth are 96 COE.....

Donna

Old 2013-03-04, 7:53pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Yes, I am! And, I have batches of beads from almost ten years ago that are fine. It's not really as much frit as it looks. Some of those beads are BE which is around 90 and they also have 96 frit on them (encased with 90 clear of course).

And, additional food for though - the COE of silver isn't 104 either. (It's 191)

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2013-03-04 at 8:01pm.
Old 2013-03-06, 6:58am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Here are a couple of my favs over silver foil.

I think this one is Fairy Realm (Bead Goodies)

Transparent Aqua & Turquoise Rain (Bead Goodies again)

Cinnamon Spice (Glass Diversions) on Ghee

And lastly Indian Ocean (Glass Diversions)

I probably have more, but can't find any other pics right now.

Old 2013-03-06, 7:04am
Angie09

Oh I love those Robyn ... especially the Turquoise Rain! Is that Effetre Light Aqua base???
Old 2013-03-06, 10:55am
Queen Bee

Turquoise Rain is one of my all time favorite frits! It also looks great on light turquoise

Donna

Old 2013-03-06, 3:18pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are beautiful, Robyn!

Old 2013-03-06, 4:45pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Thank you Angie, Donna & MaryBeth .

Angie, yes, Effetre transparent light aqua, foil, Turquoise Rain, raked & etched.

Donna, yes, it's probably my favourite frit too.

MaryBeth, yours are gorgeous too, I wish I could do the encasing over silver thing, whenever I try it I always burn away the silver!

Old 2013-03-07, 10:20am
Queen of the milo field

Head nodding vigorously - Agree w/Shawnette - Iris blue. Love it over silvered pale Extremely Pale Light Olive - there's no green frit on that bead, just iris blue.

dj
Old 2013-03-09, 1:42pm

I haven't played with it in a long time, but Val Cox's Ocelot Spots was fun over silver.
Old 2013-03-10, 10:04am
Ad astra per aspera

I have a lot of favorites, but one of the coolest surprises I've ever had was with GGGlass Bejeweled Frit.
http://www.ggglass.com/item_35/Bejeweled-Frit.htm

It's lovely with rich color over clear, white, etc...but put it over silver leaf or foil and the colors all go TILT! and you suddenly have faux boro. I looked and looked and don't have any pix, so I'll make a new bead today and post it asap.

Old 2013-03-10, 10:44am

Who sells leopard diva frit? I looked at all the places I know of.
Old 2013-03-10, 2:13pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
Who sells leopard diva frit? I looked at all the places I know of.
That was a Val Cox frit. I don't know if she has any currently.

Old 2013-03-10, 2:30pm

OK thanks MB. That must be the only one of hers I don't have.
Old 2013-03-11, 9:14am
Ad astra per aspera

As promised, I made a pair of beads with GGGlass' Bejeweled frit yesterday. Both of them use regular Effetre clear (I've used other clears and never seen a difference) with a double roll of frit and some simple shaping. The upper bead got a layer of silver foil before rolling in the frit. As you can see, you get more 'organic' colors from the silver. It's fun over ivory, too.
Attached Images