Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-03-19, 11:50am
Administrator

Default Which Lampwork Etc. thread has been most helpful to you?

I want people to think back, which thread did you read on this site that has been the most helpful? Which one gave you your Ah-Ha moment? Which one inspired you the most or made you try something new?

Post a link to that thread, or a link to the particular post in that thread and then tell us why you chose it. You can pick the same thread as someone else because your reasoning may be different.

Also, post a quick little tip you would like to share with others.

I am going to randomly choose from the posts fitting this criteria made before April 20 for that person to receive a $50 gift certificate to an LE vendor of their choice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-03-19, 12:31pm
I fart diamonds

This thread by far. It pushed me out of the 104 door and into the loving arms of 96, where I've been snuggly nestled ever since:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25079

The 96 color palette is HUGE. More pinks and purples than you can dream of and all of the striking and reducing colors that I'll ever need. And I don't have to pay triple price for it. And the Iris Blue this month will be the same Iris Blue next month. And the best black and clear ever (Uroboros). No scum, no boil. I could go on for days, but I won't.

Tip: Flower Pot Saucers make great frit trays and they're very inexpensive. (Around 70¢ each)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-03-19, 12:59pm

I love the openness of this thread:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186181

I kept meaning to try some of the tips in it...

Tip:
Use a cookie sheet as a work surface - you can mark it with the COE you're using and just swap out cookie sheets when you swap COE's. (Not sure where I heard this originally, but I love it - 90, 96, and 104 are all in my studio.)

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2014-03-19, 1:08pm
Karen James

This thread saved me hundreds of dollars on tools. I learned to use this tool the right way, and more.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=200847

My tip: I work with boro, 104 and BE. Sometimes all in the same session. To make sure I don't mix the rods up, I have 3 old coffee mugs on my work bench. Each is labeled, either "33", "104", or "BE". When I'm done making the bead I'm working on, I put the glass in the appropriate mug.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2014-03-19, 1:39pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

while I cant think of a particular thread off the top of my head thats been most helpful, I will say I kept my eyes peeled on the garage sale are and got several torches inexpensively for my local guild. I have gotten lots of bits of glass and I got to try colors cheaply. When I forst came to LE I was new to beads, but not new to glass at all, The free tutorials helped me heaps and gobs to get started, and then all bets were off, I sucked up info, tutorials, and techniques like a sponge. Kevan's photography tutorial has been VERY helpful to me.

My tip of the day.....if you have neck or back problems, try elevating your torch on blocks, it can relieve some strain. I have and love a creation station for taking to classes etc, but my main work bench has a cut out in it. that is my elbow rest, and works the same as a creation station.

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2014-03-19, 2:36pm
Wonder-wench

the Storm Bead thread, any of the "show us your beads made with XX silver color" threads

Old 2014-03-19, 2:46pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

I can't seem to find the thread I originally thought of (Encasing clear in the 'around the world' method - I keep thinking Mary Lockwood or Kandice Seeber but I could be wrong). I also debated Kalera's amazing "ask me anything" thread, due to its awesome openness and quantity of information.

The other thread that I loved and was inspired by is The Blue Bead thread from 2005. Sara participated in some of the Chinese Auction games we had for a while there and so some of the players really were very involved and social with the other players - it made for some great connections and friendship bonds. Her thread was very helpful and sharing, and it reminds me of how consistently awesome LE has been from the beginning and over the many years.

For me, this thread is my favorite:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235

People were still finding it for years and using it even after she passed away, which is a sort of bittersweet and yet awesome thing.

Tip: I'd call this more advice than a real tip. While I am a proponent of people exploring their creative side, I still think there needs to be a foundation. So, my advice is to learn how to handle the glass properly. See what it does, and learn to form your bead shapes with good holes. You can have a truly gorgeous bead, but if your hole is crooked and each end of the bead is malformed... it takes away from the bead. (My opinion.)

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on

Last edited by MistyCherie; 2014-04-04 at 10:06am. Reason: forgot to add a tip
Old 2014-03-19, 3:22pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

The most IMPORTANT and useful threads for me were absolutely everything in the Safety forum. My studio wouldn't be what it is today if it weren't for Dale M and cheng076 - I know people sometimes get upset by the safety mavens, but I appreciate them telling it like it is.

From a skills perspective, I think the single thread that taught me the most was this Seahorse Tutorial from the Free Tutorial section: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19127 - it touches on SO many skills, it taught me a ton. And it let me make something really cool for the first time.

L-111

Old 2014-03-19, 3:25pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyCherie View Post
I can't seem to find the thread I originally thought of (Encasing clear in the 'around the world' method - I keep thinking Mary Lockwood or Kandice Seeber but I could be wrong). I also debated Kalera's amazing "ask me anything" thread, due to its awesome openness and quantity of information.

The other thread that I loved and was inspired by is The Blue Bead thread from 2005. Sara participated in some of the Chinese Auction games we had for a while there and so some of the players really were very involved and social with the other players - it made for some great connections and friendship bonds. Her thread was very helpful and sharing, and it reminds me of how consistently awesome LE has been from the beginning and over the many years.

For me, this thread is my favorite:

People were still finding it for years and using it even after she passed away, which is a sort of bittersweet and yet awesome thing.
OMG, I try this bead again every 6 months or so. I've never even come close, but I still try!

L-111

Old 2014-03-19, 3:39pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

This thread on Psyche:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...t=double+helix

I love the DH glass, but often struggle. While Pysche was not one I struggled with, I finally moved into the forums to look for tips with the others I had. The post/image that MrsD posted (post #22) blew my mind. I had Canyon de Chelly in a bundle long forgotten, and I pulled those suckers out and had a LOT of fun. I made one of my all-time favorite beads with a combo with it. It made me start experimenting with more of the random CIM rods I had, as well as other rods to try and see what I got.
Although most of the images I see in the DH threads are incredible and inspiring. It makes me keep trying!

My random tip:
If you are struggling with some of the DH glass, I found that if you make a larger hollow bead, and then melt and shape it (pulling it or elongating it especially) the type of heat you put on the glass REALLY makes some of the colors pop! I got some very gorgeous ranges of color that way, and it didn't require encasing or intense sessions of back and forth in different mixes of flame. Sometimes a good ego boost when you feel like you aren't getting it right!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2014-03-19, 3:43pm

This is one that comes to mind quickly for me: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20601

Wow! 192,811 views to that one! With Dawn's tips, I was even able to get color from Raku on my hothead!

Old 2014-03-19, 4:09pm

There are so many great post in both lampworking and fusing that have helped me so much over the years but there is one that touches me the most. The Blue Bead by Sarakay. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235 I had come across the thread and tried many times with no success. I had never read the whole thread and I decided to try it again and I went further into the thread than I usually do and started realizing something was not right. This thread lasted for years and the more I read I found out Sara had died. I decided I was going to make that bead and do it well. It's probably the first bead I am proud of.
Thank You Sara:
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-03-19, 4:21pm

Wow! So many are ones I have loved reading over and over trying to find that one comment that would make my beads come alive. I, too, keep trying to remake the blue bead with only moderate success. Love the 96 coe thread because I come from a 96 fusing background and it really opend up color opportunities I wasn't even aware of. And I also go back to Dawn's raku threads, especially if my raku isn't going as I hope

To add to the great threads above I add: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156517 Working with terranova. So many people helping each other find the sweet spot. I don't always find that "spot" but this thread has great info. I have it and several others saved so they are easy to find. I am going to add to my list from some of the ones listed.

One simple hint that helped me is if you use a creation station. While I love using it I found the left rest to be more of a nuisance than a help. I kept putting up with it til I told myself that just because it was there didn't mean it had to stay there! Once removed I was much happier. Your tools are YOURS. Use them the way that works best for you.

Old 2014-03-19, 8:17pm
too many rods in the fire

My inspiration thread is a little different, because it's not about a technique, although many different techniques are discussed in the thread. Here's my favorite (or at least one of many)!:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=carlo+dona

The reason I love this thread and go back to it often is because it 1) inspires me to make actual plans to visit Venice someday soon and take a class and shop for some amazing Carlo Dona tools, 2) it offers so much valuable information about Venice, the culture, places to visit, etc., and 3) it is a show of generosity that Ofilia is so willing to share information, plan trips and assist others in their dreams of traveling to Venice and Murano.

I also love almost any thread about working silver glass, and have read most of them many times. Dawn's thread on working raku also comes to mind as a great source of generously shared information. LE has so much of that.

Old 2014-03-20, 8:22am
I'm meeeeelting

I'm sure there are tons of others, but my memory just isn't that good. I'm going to go with this one: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=foot+pedal

I was in the Trey Cornette class with Deb Clutter, but was still completely confused about how to make a foot pedal after the discussion. Deb's thread got me started researching it further and provided me with info on where to buy the solenoid valves. This was the starting point for a friend and I figuring out how to make our own pedals (with the help of several other people). It saved me a ton of money and my foot pedal is one of my very favorite tools.

A random tip. Some colors show their temperatures much better than others. If you're working on an intricate project with a hard to read color, make a spacer next to it in a color that shows its temp (such as a dark transparent green - you know it's getting too cold when it gets close to its original temp, orange when its hot). If you see that your spacer is getting cold, you better give whatever you're making some insurance heat.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2014-03-20 at 8:29am.
Old 2014-03-20, 8:26am
Loving learning

It is really hard to choose a thread, because there are so many that had so much wonderful information and inspiration (including those above).
For a boost to my confidence though, I liked the newbie mistakes thread. It really helped me relax when I realized that some people who are so far above me made some of the same mistakes that I did!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ewbie+mistakes

I don't have a lot of tips, but it helped me to slow down and relax about the glass when I began listening to books on tape while I torched.
Old 2014-03-20, 8:45am

For me it's another vote for Sara's blue bead thread. That's when it clicked for me that putting blue glass on a mandrel - with some other stuff - doesn't mean you'll get a blue bead out of the kiln. It was the possibilities of playing with reactions that got me hooked.

Old 2014-03-20, 9:27am
aka Spawn Of Flame

The Perfect Bead Exchange thread: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=85756

Hayley's exchange threads contain lively discussions where you can learn techniques while having a great time.

Before this particular exchange, I did not make obsessively matched beads. I really dug into this exchange. Now, I make matched bead sets almost exclusively and I enjoy it immensely (and they sell darn well too!)

My tip to make the matching beads is to pay special attention to the base bead. I measure each base bead with an electronic caliper to get it to just the right size. Then from lots of practice, I know that if I put the same dots and stringers, the final beads will match.

I also take many notes (and save them in Evernote) about each type of bead - its starting size, etc., because after a couple of months, I forget everything.

--
--
--

Last edited by rosemarie23; 2014-03-20 at 9:31am. Reason: forgot a tip!
Old 2014-03-20, 7:24pm
KitseyBelle

You CAN do it on a Hothead! http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24873

It is really inspiring to see what can be done on this torch and even though I have added a Nortel Minor and a GTT Cricket to my torch collection, I will never give up the Hothead completely. Before I found out about oxygen concentrators, I didn't think that I would ever upgrade from my Hothead due to my fear of oxygen tanks. This thread proved, or reinforced, that I would be able to make incredible beads without a dual fuel torch.

Whenever I have been away from the torch for a while, I go back to basics: black and white. I make a few beads and pull a few stringers until I feel the grove of the glass again.

Jennefer
Old 2014-03-20, 8:00pm
Wait.....what?

There are so many favorites of mine. Kalera's Ask Me Anything where she generously shared recipes and tips and just anything is one of my favorites.

But I have to vote again for Sara Kay's Blue Bead thread.

Here's my reasoning and, not coincidentally, my tip.
I've tried this recipe a few times before Sara passed and just couldn't get it right.
After she passed I read the thread start to finish again and then went to my studio. I tried it all over and didn't get the result I expected, but it was interesting. So I took the recipe and used different colored base glass. Another cool bead, so I continued and ended up with a little set of different color beads made the same way.

This really drove it home that I have to let the glass do as it will. If I fight it, I'm never as happy with the result as I am with the results I got when I started with Sara's recipe and followed where the glass led me.

Old 2014-03-23, 3:27pm
Bead me up, Scotty.

Default Favorite Thread

Wow--so many to choose from! I've learned so much from LWE that it is very hard to choose--but I'll try. I love this thread with beadroller beads--because I love beadroller and the inspiration of all the beautiful sets --and because many people share their recipes. It has really encouraged me to make more sets. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=beadrollers

Does anyone remember a thread that I thought was called, "Can't use that rod" or something similar--and it encouraged us to use our expensive rods we were saving? I loved it but can't find it!

My tip--try a kote if you haven't already. My beadmaking improved so much after I switched to this tool for marvering. You can get them at ARTCO: http://www.artcoinc.com/kote.php

Also, buy Jacqueline's Recipe books before she retires them on April 20--they are FANTASTIC!!!! (75 Lampwork Bead Recipes and 50 Organic Lampwork Bead Recipes): (https://www.etsy.com/shop/gemsinbloo...shop-info-name

Sorry, my tips are both about buying something!
Cathy
Old 2014-03-23, 3:48pm

I always found the fuglies threads, and the what not to do threads very useful and amusing.

It helped me to see that others are capable of making mistakes and errors and yet still make beautiful beads.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-03-23, 5:23pm
Slogan Challenged...

I just came across Rich's color thread and I thought it was so timely. I remember this one from eons ago, pages and pages of color combos. I love threads like this, they are always so inspiring. I'm always impressed when someone takes the time to share all the results. Thanks so much, Rich.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141845

ETA: My tip: Slow down and work on flame control! Hotter isn't always better or even faster, if you have to struggle to control drippy glass and compensate for boiled glass or smeared designs. I have always been more satisfied with the results when I lower the flame a little and give myself a little more time.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Last edited by KJohn; 2014-04-05 at 1:58am. Reason: Added tip!
Old 2014-03-25, 10:40am
dances with ideas...

Cathy, I think this is the thread you're referring to.

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217173

Corri, thanks for starting this thread and making it a sticky!
I don't need any more glass, but I am loving re-reading the threads that other people have mentioned. And the new tips are great too!

Old 2014-03-25, 5:35pm
Bead me up, Scotty.

Yes, that's it! Thanks, Roberta. I remember it having more pics but it did encourage me to try new glass and turned me on to metallic black.
Cathy
Old 2014-03-25, 5:43pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmorphousDesigns View Post
the Storm Bead thread, any of the "show us your beads made with XX silver color" threads

Old 2014-03-25, 9:13pm

Ah-Ha moment for me was Dawn's thread.

The secrets of Raku Revealed:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20601

Elke
Old 2014-03-26, 5:24am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locococo View Post
Ah-Ha moment for me was Dawn's thread.

The secrets of Raku Revealed:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20601

Elke
I loved Dawns thread too....but unfortunately I didn't have an "ah-ha" moment. Still struggling to get color but her eye candy is unbelievable!
Old 2014-03-26, 7:29pm
Ezzy

It's easy to pick a favorite forum because it's this one, of course.

Now I'll share my favorite forum tool... Right above the first post in every thread are some options, the "thread tool" option is my best friend because it lets me subscribe to things and even if I lose my browser favorites list my subscription list is kept safely here by Corri Dawn.

My favorite thread tip is to click on the posting number. When you are looking through something like that Raku thread, if you click the post number you can print just that single posting.

My favorite thread about tools has always been Janelle Zorko's how to make a Cattwalk or Similar base: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36602

One of my favorite thread about color would be Favorite Color Romances: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=242939

My favorite glass trick for making my own frit would be the King Rupert's drops: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89917

My quick tip would be my favorite home-made tool. I like to melt big wads of glass - hence the King Rupert thread - but I'm impatient so I use a stainless ladle as a faux glory hole. This is a view from above the torch. Torch, 5/32 inch mandrel (or glass rod), ladle to reflect the head back to the glass. And of course I don't generally hold the glass and ladle in the same hand but I couldn't figure out how to take a picture otherwise.

Fun thread!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Last edited by PixieFireBeads; 2014-03-26 at 7:32pm.
Old 2014-03-27, 4:54am
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayTStudio View Post
There are so many favorites of mine. Kalera's Ask Me Anything where she generously shared recipes and tips and just anything is one of my favorites.

But I have to vote again for Sara Kay's Blue Bead thread.

Here's my reasoning and, not coincidentally, my tip.
I've tried this recipe a few times before Sara passed and just couldn't get it right.
After she passed I read the thread start to finish again and then went to my studio. I tried it all over and didn't get the result I expected, but it was interesting. So I took the recipe and used different colored base glass. Another cool bead, so I continued and ended up with a little set of different color beads made the same way.

This really drove it home that I have to let the glass do as it will. If I fight it, I'm never as happy with the result as I am with the results I got when I started with Sara's recipe and followed where the glass led me.
Same - Sara's technique led me to experiment with other colours and metals, love it

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy