Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2010-12-03, 12:30pm
frenetic crafter

Default Glasscraft Customer Service

I ordered from Glasscraft a little over a week ago, and I regret it so much. I know there are people who haven't received glass from orders and have been through much worse, but I am still pretty bummed about this. Here are my major issues:

- I ordered half a pound of ink blue. I got 3 oz. This is not half a pound! This is not even a quarter pound. Not only did I get a tiny amount of glass, I got a bunch of shorts. A good retailer would call and ask if this was ok - in this case, I would've cancelled my order - I need 1/2 lb of ink blue. Instead, they sent it with the wrong amount of glass.

- They double charged me for shipping. The total cost of my order was under 60.00. The shipping was around 25! They have two retail locations, and when they decided to send my shipment from both. I was charged over 10.00 from each location. I ordered two lbs of glass, some bead release, and 12 skinny mandrels.

- When I called to see if I could do anything about either of these issues, they were rude to me! No sort of apology was offered for the shorts, no comment on the shipping. Basically, they said "we can't do anything about it".

I know it's not the most grievous of glass offenses, but with so many wonderful sellers out there, why choose ones that treat you badly and overcharge you? Frantz is amazing, Arrow Springs has been wonderful to me, Double Helix goes above and beyond where they need to, Sundance is totally understanding, The Mandrel is awesome. I feel a little duped, and it won't happen again. Hopefully this will help you decide where to buy glass from - go with somebody that appreciates you as a customer, not somebody that has seemingly good prices but treats you like dirt.

Last edited by emkay; 2010-12-05 at 6:10pm. Reason: they are trying to help, I'm not holding a grudge - wanted to get that on the front page
Old 2010-12-03, 12:38pm

Glasscraft was bought out by Winship recently. Actually I heard it was 6 years ago, but the owner stayed on until recently. Since then things aren't the same. That's to be expected with new ownership I guess.......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-03, 12:49pm

Ouch! I've had good luck with them before, and Dave from Winship always seemed like a really good guy. I'd try tracking him down directly.
Old 2010-12-03, 1:42pm
needs creative tagline

I would try again, talk to Dave as suggested, or even just try another person. I recently ordered from them and they were very nice - contacted me to let me know they had less of something than I wanted, asked if they could help find a subsitute, etc. And they had an option on the ordering page to indicate if you didn't want them to ship from both locations. I took at class at the CO location about a year and a half ago and everyone I met seemed really nice. Hopefully you just ran into someone having a bad day or something?

laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2010-12-03, 1:44pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Wow......bummer emkay! I'll keep them on my "DO NOT ORDER" list. Thanks for the heads up!

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2010-12-04, 8:47am

I recently ordered from Glasscraft for the first time also and had one of the same experiences as emkay. One pound of glass was not included in the order which surprised me since I had corresponded with them regarding shipping and the omission wasn't mentioned. If I order from them again I'll be sure to confirm what I am getting.
Old 2010-12-04, 9:13am

This is good to warn others. I have been looking them up just this past week as someone with a tutorial said they got all their glass from them. I won't be.
Old 2010-12-04, 9:57am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
This is good to warn others. I have been looking them up just this past week as someone with a tutorial said they got all their glass from them. I won't be.
Please don't let one incident ruin your chances of getting in on doing business with a great company.
Listen to the other posts about talking to Dave. He may clear this up and it may have been just one bad sales clerk who will "taken Care" of.

Dave may not even know about this.....once he does he will take care of it.

It is important NOT to run to LE until you have exhausted all means of getting satisfaction with an order gone wrong. Not fun but it is necessary.

Telephone call(s) not just one to a grumpy unfriendly clerk. Phones calls all the way to the top even if that is a half dozen, e-mails, etc. After a week or so of waiting and NO satisfaction, no correspondence etc...
THEN come to LE and post your story.

Sorry if this seems harsh but too many good business are not given a chance to make good before people come posting on LE and as in the quoted post above they have lost a customer. JMHO
Old 2010-12-04, 10:08am

Still, I am personally glad she didn't wait.

I don't need the stress!
Old 2010-12-04, 10:26am
frenetic crafter

Lorraine, I know it is important to try to talk to the company before mentioning it on LE. I do feel that after two phone calls, I have done what I can. I know a few of you say to talk to Dave - I never knew who Dave was, and how would I have known without this thread? At this point, I feel like it's a done deal - what happened to me and what I got isn't going to change. If your Dave wants to fix things, that would be wonderful! I'm probably not going to go out of my way again to most likely get told that they won't fix anything.

I promise that I'm not out to bash a company - I'm just here to share my experience. I don't want the same thing to happen to anyone else, and I feel that warning you guys it is the right thing to do.
Old 2010-12-04, 10:30am
Grateful

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you Emkay. I agree with the others to talk to the head guy. I have had nothing but positive experiences with Glasscraft. They even helped me with my ventilation free of charge! They had me send a picture of my workspace and requirements and directed me to another company who carried the appropriate CFM fan I needed. I really hope you are able to resolve this.

Old 2010-12-04, 12:00pm

Personally, I don't see why emkay should have to "go all the way to the top" to get these issues resolved. Common sense dictates that you don't send 3 oz of shorts when the customer ordered 1/2 pound, without first contacting the customer. Common sense also dictates that a customer would not want to pay double shipping. Why should you have to chose that option? It sounds like Dave needs to do a little customer service training with his staff.
Old 2010-12-04, 1:39pm

I also have to disagree that people should wait before posting to LE. Others can chime in about their experiences, both positive and negative. Ultimately the business owner is responsible for every customer's experience, and public accountability is part of that.
Old 2010-12-04, 2:04pm
Salt Box Beads

Talking

I also stand by my words, as a person who has owned several major businesses I always appreciated it when problems were brought to my attention, I appreciated the chance to get it resolved.

That meant my customers going through the proper channels, first with the receptionist, if that failed with the supervisor, then manager, if that failed then with me, the owner.

It is the owners responsibility to hire and train employees but sometimes a bad apple slips through, or they are having a bad time and take it out on the customer. Wrong but it happens.

I just hate to see generally good suppliers get called out before the owner has been spoken with, not any of the hired help, but the owner. The one who is ultimately responsible and can and should ultimately take care of any problems. If it is not addressed in a timely fashion then by all means post for all of the LE world to see and be forewarned.

Stating they were pretty AWFUL in the title for all to see is " pretty Awful in my book, because it is there forever. You made a judgement call and pronounced sentence on someone publicly way too soon IMO. It has been only a little over a week by your own words and you did not give the owner much time to address the issue. Actually you didn't give the owner anytime to address the situation because you did not contact him directly. Ebay gives a lot longer than that to resolve an issue.

I stand by my words...We will just have to agree to completely disagree on this issue. Now I'll shutup, and leave your thread alone.....
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-04, 2:39pm
Tweedle Dumb

Anyone in the glass biz knows that sending shorts (and not even the correct amount) to fill an order for regular 1st quality glass, is not acceptable. That's pretty common knowledge. Even a new hire would (should) know that.

Going to the top of the business is a good thing to do if there is a problem, most often it is cleared up straight away. But I know if I called and was given the run around by an employee (new or old, grunt or owner) I wouldn't be happy. I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix their mistake when customer service is obviously not a priority with the person that takes their incoming calls.

Emkay is ticked, and rightly so. She gave them the opportunity to fix it, and the person they put in charge to handle these kinds of things, didn't do a very good job. That isn't her problem, it's thiers.

If I had an experience like this, you better believe I'd come here and warn ya'll, too. Poor customer service is reason enough to avoid a particular vendor (Jodel anyone?) especially when there are SO MANY out there that will go above and beyond to help make it right if something goes wrong.

I buy from Irene and Mike now. They are fast, and have fair prices. I've not had a problem yet, so I can't say much about their customer service... but not having a problem in the 3-4 years I've been buying from them says a lot. IMHO.

There is only one vendor that I've had a (yes, singular) problem with, they were given the opportunity to make it right, and they didn't follow through with their promise to make it right. I will not go back. Ever. There are so many more vendors out there, some just aren't worth the hassle.

One strike. You're out. Don't waste my time.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-12-04, 2:56pm
Borovangelist

And what's the deal with the weird grey italics font? It looks like you're having some sort of flashback conversation with yourself.

|
|
Old 2010-12-04, 3:42pm

Actually, this isn't the first time someone has been told to be a "better customer" and spend their time working their ways through channels to get a problem resolved.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

It is not up to the customer to demand good customer service. It should be a given, and if not received, it's the company's fault. Period. And if they have contacted the company, and it only made the situation worse, they have every right to complain.

Old 2010-12-04, 4:36pm
da General

I agree with the mass. emkay should not be the one being reprimanded for starting this thread.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-12-04, 5:30pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

"Telephone call(s) not just one to a grumpy unfriendly clerk. Phones calls all the way to the top even if that is a half dozen, e-mails, etc. After a week or so of waiting and NO satisfaction, no correspondence etc...
THEN come to LE and post your story."

No, one phone call (that gets through to a human, not voice mail) should be enough, *she* is the customer.
As business owners we may wish that customers conformed to our expectations, but if we insist on it too much, we'll be former business owners.....
Old 2010-12-04, 5:48pm
Ad astra per aspera

In a GOOD business, one shouldn't have to go to the top (or even partway beyond the bottom) to expect and receive good service.

Old 2010-12-04, 8:37pm

Default Customer Service

I agree with those who say that going through channels is best, but I also agree with those who say that the problem should be handled to their satisfaction by the first person after the receptionist directs the caller to the person who can fix the problem.

Since I am in "the business", we get customer service issues, a missing item, the wrong item, maybe a missing shipment and even broken glass.

I have had customers whose problems could not be solved by the first person they spoke to and that is when it goes to me as the owner.

An unhappy customer becomes a non customer, and that is not good for business. Keep customers happy, but sometimes you do have to draw the line, but that is only if a customer is unreasonable, and yes some have been, but most of our customers are happy, well balanced, centered and grounded individuals who just want no hassles and great customer service and a good sale once-in-a-while.

If you do not get the satisfaction that you want, do not just accept what you are told to accept on the phone or the email. Tell the service rep that you were unhappy with how this turned out and who can you speak to. And remember the person that you are dealing with might be an evil person (or just be having a very bad day), and not representing the the company the way the owner would like.

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206

Last edited by mikefrantz; 2010-12-04 at 8:40pm.
Old 2010-12-04, 8:50pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
And what's the deal with the weird grey italics font? It looks like you're having some sort of flashback conversation with yourself.
That's what I like. I like colors and I use different colors all of the time. I find the tone of your comment rude. What does it matter to you what I color I use and what type I use?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lorraine
Old 2010-12-05, 8:44am
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Actually, this isn't the first time someone has been told to be a "better customer" and spend their time working their ways through channels to get a problem resolved.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy that.

It is not up to the customer to demand good customer service. It should be a given, and if not received, it's the company's fault. Period. And if they have contacted the company, and it only made the situation worse, they have every right to complain.
I agree. If a customer contacts the seller and gets some sort of communication which is totally unsatisfactory then it's not up to the customer to jump through a variety of hoops.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-12-05, 8:58am
frenetic crafter

Update: got a message on here from Dave. I'll let everybody know what happens. I'm pretty impressed that he found me and contacted me, it's definitely a step in the right direction!
Old 2010-12-05, 9:48am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Actually I ordered recently from Glasscraft and it had the option to split shipment. I'm an idiot, I've never been asked that before and clicked OK, it never occured to me they would charge me double shipment which they did. The bulk of my order came from Eugene and then one container of frit I paid $5 for was $10 and change shipping from the other facility. I wasn't happy but can't call about it because it was my bad. Lesson learned.

The mandrels that were $2.50 for 10 I just don't like, they are a different material from what I'm used to. Again, lesson learned, and I'm not calling about that because it's just not worth the trouble over $20 to me, YMMV.

OTOH, I ordered a marver that is the bomb and would cost two or three times as much anywhere else so it balanced out for me. I didn't really end up with a 'deal' but I came out of it all with a good tool.

I didn't order any glass. I rarely order glass on sale unless I know the vendor well and have had good experiences with them.

In my experience in the three years I've been doing this sometimes the larger places that deal with furnace glass workers are not geared to do customer service for lampworkers. I tend to picture a 24 y/o guy who's hot and tired picking up the phone because everyone else is busy and listening to a woman complain about shipping problems when all he wants is a beer and his girlfriend.

I can totally understand his lack of enthusiasm. OTOH, I want what I want and if a company (because of the economy or whatever reason) can't hire a customer service rep or front office person who can be politic and deal with my problems then I'll take my business elsewhere, it's just that simple. I am sometimes a grumpy old lady. If you want grumpy old lady money then you need to line up grumpy old lady customer service. I thought everyone loved old ladies, at least that's what I read at the melt forum.

I think one phone call and then coming to LE to talk about it is perfectly reasonable. It's gives people like me who hesitate to bring up their experiences a chance to chime and say, "Hey, yeah, me too, I didn't like the split shipping either." That way others who don't want split shipping can be aware they will be asked this question at this vendor and can make the appropriate response for their situation (yeah, split it I don't care or no way).

If the vendor finds this is costing him money perhaps he'll decide to change this aspect of his business practice (or not).

I'm glad Emkay posted. Thank you Emkay for giving me a voice.

ETA: In the time I was writing this Emkay posted to say that Dave contacted her, I'm happy to hear that!

Last edited by alb6094; 2010-12-05 at 9:51am.
Old 2010-12-05, 9:51am
Miles from nowhere...

I appreciate the information. Spending that much time and energy to get a problem resolved that shouldn't have happened in the first place is crazy. I don't want to work that hard to spend my money. There are plenty of vendors who do a great job with customer service (Frantz and Double Helix, and many others) so why waste your time on the ones that don't?

Old 2010-12-05, 10:05am
Resident hippie

Quote:
so why waste your time on the ones that don't?
The value was really good which is why I went to them.

Loco started a thread a while back alerting us to the good deals available on this website.
I put in a substantial order and got it filled correctly with only a couple of broken rods out of a big order. The only thing I wasn't 100% happy with was the size of the leaf masher I ordered. It was huge! But since the size wasn't mentioned and I didn't enquire it was a case of buyer beware.

I am very happy with the value and service I received.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2010-12-05, 11:40am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Lorraine, I would like to know who died and left you in charge of the complaint department of LE. I don't know what kind of big business you ran, but obviously you didn't sell a product directly to customers. Or maybe your take on customer service is why you don't have a business. Your principles apply to employees, not to your customers. And I have run a very successful business. If this is an example of how you would help a "newbie", by smacking their hands in public, I think this would be a really really good time to take DOWN your little sign as a "Newbie Helper".
Pat
Old 2010-12-05, 12:13pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I had the same experience with Glasscraft mandrels, Astrid. Yucky. Does anyone know what they're actually made of?

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-12-05, 12:26pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh man... so glad I didn't order those. I almost did, I think they are even still in my shopping cart. Thanks for the save!