Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-03-07, 12:58pm

Default Oxygen Concentrator Newbie Questions

Very pleased to have found this forum, and excited to be making my first post!

I have a couple questions regarding O2 Concentrators -- functionality, how to set them up, etc.I wanted to start by saying if there is a thread that is all inclusive of questions regarding this topic, please feel free to direct me there. Thank you!

First off, what should I be looking for in a machine? Currently, the most accessible options to me are an Invacare Mobilaire V IRC501 (higher hours but least $), a Millinium Respironics, unsure of model #(more $ but a lot less hours), or a NewLife Elite AirSep (in between the two in price, unsure of hours). I can provide pictures if necessary. All are said to be working, although I have read about these units needing to be rebuilt, which leads me to my next question ---

What is the process of rebuilding, or modifying use for lampworking? Is this generally rather involved, or more intuitive?

Also, I might be misunderstanding the purpose, but it is possible to use an oxygen recharging machine in some way?

That's all I can think of for now, though there may be more.
I greatly appreciate you taking the time to read my thread, and thank you in advance for any assistance!
Old 2016-03-07, 3:02pm
Salt Box Beads

Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of info here. It is like going to the library .

"I wanted to start by saying if there is a thread that is all inclusive of questions regarding this topic, please feel free to direct me there. Thank you!"

There is no such animal here, we ALL would love that.

Use the search button, I have spent hours and hours, days upon days doing research here when I needed to. I just get a comfy chair, nice music, cup of coffee and dig in. I have saved info to a thumb drive, some I printed out and then I have several binders full of notes. Just like being back in school.

The reason to do the research yourself is because you will get as many differing opinions as people here. The one thing we all have in common though is SAFETY FIRST! This includes proper exhausted air and replacement air. There is so much to learn for all of your questions you really do need to research the answers and then start applying them to your particular studio area to be set up.

Do not forget about home owners insurance or renters insurance, lots of peeps found out they couldn't even have a hot glass studio. SO be sure to start there and then work your way forward.

Best wishes to you.
Old 2016-03-07, 8:14pm

Yes, I suppose all inclusive is a rather strong way to put it, but I was speaking specifically towards the context that followed, and in regards to specifically oxygen concentrators, I wasn't sure if there was something along the lines of a guide or break down of common ones or features. This is a very common thread-format that I've found on various forums regarding different topics.

I have and continue to do research, of course, but I have struggled to find any information on certain sub-topics, such as the purpose and technique required when rebuilding an oxygen concentrator (or two), and if its possible to adapt an oxygen recharger, or even just use this to refill oxygen tanks.

I posted here in hopes of a) finding people that may consider themselves knowledgeable on the topic & I would be glad to entertain and extrapolate upon their opinions, and/or b) be pointed in the direction of resources so that I might further my own research independently.

So yes, I would still be glad to hear anything anyone might have to say on the topic! Thank you.
Old 2016-03-08, 12:07am

Oxygen concentrators dont have to be modified at all. Pipe them to the torch and run the hell out of them. I run a 5 liter machine at 4 liters for better purity.

They are made to run day and night and keep people alive so a few hours feeding a torch is nothing. I have 2 that have 64,000 and 54,000 hours and they are going strong.

All the brands you named are commonly used so get the most LPM you can. None of them are lemons.

I run a GTT Phantom on 3 oxycons, its a realy nice torch. All of 2015 I spend $30 on oxygen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmfymeMiJyk
Old 2016-03-08, 5:35am

Thank you so much for your reply! That is very helpful, and an obvious point I will be sure to consider

In regards to your multiple oxycons -- I have found conflicting information on the psi of these machines. Do the oxycons all need to put out the same psi to be used together?

Again, thank you. I look forward to your reply!
Old 2016-03-08, 12:02pm
ManBearPig

I'm by no means an expert on concentrators, but I found an older post talking about them. I remember the poster being an engineer or something, so I would trust what he says:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...60&postcount=8

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.