Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-04-19, 6:27am

i have made many of these products and sold them for 40-80 depending on the size.

i even had a wholesale buyer who used to buy them, but he thought that 25-35 was too much too pay.

the general rule for annealing boro is 15 min/mm of solid work.

a polariscope is a very helpful tool, especially if you do complex welds and multiple attachments.
Old 2009-04-19, 9:51am
Bliss Junkie

yeah, i've had a shop want me to match prices with the imports they sell... even though my stuff was inch and a quarter, while the stuff they wanted me to match was three quarter stuff... something like 10-11 bucks for a 7-8 inch piece

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-04-19, 9:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbacher View Post
yeah, i've had a shop want me to match prices with the imports they sell... even though my stuff was inch and a quarter, while the stuff they wanted me to match was three quarter stuff... something like 10-11 bucks for a 7-8 inch piece
pfhhhhtt...imports!!!! like the $3 i/o spoons at every gas station!!!!!
Old 2009-04-19, 10:24pm
Fire and Fluidity

On the Crystal Adult site their pieces are "lucite glass", isn't that like "apple oranges"? LOL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-19, 10:54pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Cool

I was thinking the same thing. Hmmmm. Plastic! Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
On the Crystal Adult site their pieces are "lucite glass", isn't that like "apple oranges"? LOL

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-04-20, 11:10am

I actually sent them an email asking what exactly they are selling since they refer to glass toys, but they say that they are Lucite (acrylic or plastic).

I need to play fire up the Mirage when I get home and see what I can come up with. It looks like an interesting area.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-04-20, 5:14pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Lucky Angelique...I wish my husband was so productive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
I actually sent them an email asking what exactly they are selling since they refer to glass toys, but they say that they are Lucite (acrylic or plastic).

I need to play fire up the Mirage when I get home and see what I can come up with. It looks like an interesting area.

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2009-04-20, 5:15pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Cool

Well, I have to have something to do while he's in other countries. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Lucky Angelique...I wish my husband was so productive!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-04-20, 5:20pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrsmith View Post
It comes packed in a "cardboard metal" container too .

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-04-20, 5:21pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Cool

I'm beginning to wonder if Engrish is their second language. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
It comes packed in a "cardboard metal" container too .

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Old 2009-04-23, 12:17am
Dildo Kween!

OK here's food for thought.

It's just plain clear glass. It looks exactly like the Chinese imports that sell for $10 - $15.

Make it something that the Chinese are not doing.

Put color in it - do some switchbacks and make it pretty... get a gilson opal inside and charge $80 to whatever

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2009-04-23, 12:19am
Dildo Kween!

41 replies on this topic? geezus.

My Tutorials have been FREE since 2001

Old 2009-04-23, 6:29am
Mary Lockwood

Good luck.

Last edited by Moth; 2009-06-10 at 8:40pm.
Old 2009-04-23, 9:06am

I recommend staying away from gilson opals (remember that any inclusion like that may cause the glass to break or crack at some point in its lifetime) and definitely stay away from any colour you might have had trouble with concerning borderline or dubious compatibility. There is almost no colour which is 100% compatible. There is colour which will fit into a certain range of compatability that will fit with boro, either side of 33. I've had pieces fall apart on me like 3 years down the track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
This customer isn't paying for the looks (mainly)- they are paying for reliability, safety, custom dimensions and service. They knew what they wanted, ordered it and will pay whatever it takes to make them feel safe and well, - satisfied. That is what would be important to me- knowing I could trust it, and that always comes with a price attached.
That's a really well considered answer and it's pretty much the bottom line. It's a personalised custom piece and hence worth more than a prodo piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
I groaned out loud at that.
I didn't actually mean it like that, my apologies and i agree, it's a silly turn of phrase using it in this context.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2009-04-23 at 9:09am.
Old 2009-04-23, 2:19pm
ManBearPig

I would say $80 is plenty fair for something like that. I have sold quite a few for more than that in the past.

I used to offer free installation too...

Old 2009-04-24, 10:04pm
specializing in obnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I would say $80 is plenty fair for something like that. I have sold quite a few for more than that in the past.

And I thought good customer service was dead

I think that $100 is too cheap. Maybe the shops around here are just super expensive. I haven't seen glass, but if molded rubber can be sold for 70 bucks it seems that glass should be much higher.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2009-04-24, 11:13pm
Sharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
My DH is a woodworker. His favorite tool to work on is the lathe. He has a wonderful Delta lathe with a 36" bed.

Few years ago he decided to make me a gift. Lets just say that it was beautifully designed, had an interesting ridged texture and nicely shaped end, and he had thoughtfully finished it very smooth and coated it with food safe salad bowl finishing oil.

The only problem with the piece was that when it was put to use, it would almost instantly suck away any moisture or lubrication in the "area".

(I eventually hit on the idea of putting a condom on it btw)

Yeah...TMI
Old 2009-04-29, 8:01am
CatTickler Extraordinaire

A wooden doldo.... that is absolutely hilarious! What an awesome gift to receive!
Old 2009-04-29, 8:18am

I think between $80 - $120, I am sure since it is a custom Job, I would be willing to pay $120 for it.

Nice work btw.!!!!
Sherena

Old 2009-04-29, 8:32am

You guy's are seriously cracking me up!
This thread is rich with joke material....

Old 2009-04-29, 8:51am

Default Dildo Dildo Dildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna T. View Post
Because the subject matter IS in the title and it was on the front page when I opened LE. So the under 18 crowd or those of us a little more senstive can't help but read it. Even left in this room I would have perfered to not see the word "dildo" on the opening page and you could have added a warning. I've seen many LE'ers use this method. I know I'm being more senstive than others and I'm by no means judgeing anyone for buying, using, making, selling or admiring this art form. I just don't like seeing it blantatly when I first log in and there are children here. I just think it would have been better to hint at it and then post a warning. I also think the boro room is probably the room it should be in. When I posted my other post I thought I was in the general "tips and tech" room.
Do you take offense to the word dildo? Would personal masturbation device looked any better to those young eyes?
Glass work is an art form of the highest order, censorship can also be an art form when practiced to promote a personal agenda.
We live in a free country and many folks have given their lives to give me or anyone else the right to print the word dildo in public. Perhaps you would have preferred that someone publish descriptive words about the unbelievable amount of child sexual abuse that happens in the United States compared to the rest of the free world?
Sexual terms are just words, dildo sounds like a fun word, like cheerios, when the time comes I am sure that any responsible parent would be able to explain what that word means to their child.
The intent by the poster was made in an honest tone, please don't read between the lines and make it something dark and secret.
Keep it hot,
Sabrina
Old 2009-04-29, 10:41am
CatTickler Extraordinaire

Now every time I see cheerios, I am going to think dildo! That is not I word link that I needed ;p
Old 2009-04-29, 1:53pm
Bliss Junkie

YES!!!
CHEERIOS!!!

that is most excellent!!
just did our towns earth day celebration, and i was able to bring my glass to set up at a friends booth.. she does clothing for dancers and belly dancers and such.. cute stuff.. we were right next to friends who where belly dancers, and on one of my short walks away from the booth, i come back to all the ladies huddles behind the tent with "that" case open... sold one too, what a fun day...

its just glass, and its just a word, neither has done anything wrong, we shouldnt treat them like they did...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2009-04-29, 2:33pm
product of the universe

Its funny but late night on tv they sell dildos like a home shopping network setup selling dildos,vibrators, ect.... I was just flipping through the channels and i was like is that a dildo, no way thats a dildo but yup sure enough it was. They also had glass ones. Its pretty weird to see this on television but this is the age of girls gone wild and all.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-04-30, 9:30am

Charge double what you normally charge...

I am not offended at all by your post! I mean a dildo you could say was an unusual rolling pin if "children" asked! If this offended me than Goddesses would be equally offensive since they actually show the breasts attached to the body and there is no way to say its not the female torso!

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2009-04-30 at 9:38am.
Old 2009-04-30, 9:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

almost missed this!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-05-03, 1:31am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

Thanks for the information! And the links. I think you Dildo is a beauty!

I am planning on starting to play with Boro soon, and this has given me quite a few good ideas, as we (most darling b/f and me) have started to play with ceramic bits and bobs, converting the member into Salt & Pepper shakers and coat hooks. Due to the 'sensitivity' of some members, I think it is not appropriate to show the pics, but I am willing to pm images to those that want to see it ...

Old 2009-05-04, 7:16am
On a good hair day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
OMG Angelique! You made my day. That's the first real LOL I have had.

Patricia

Old 2009-05-04, 12:37pm

We fret about sex but no one would bat an eye if this were a glass gun!
Seriously I think we should teach girls about these at an earlier age. It might cut down on teenage pregnancy...

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2009-05-04, 12:52pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Thumbs up

I'm glad I could amuse you. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalamitysClan View Post
OMG Angelique! You made my day. That's the first real LOL I have had.

Patricia

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry