Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-07-14, 9:02am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
and btw, i have no skills. still learing. will always be leaning.

i'm still not sure what exactly you meant by that. gotta love txt.
Ditto.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-07-14, 10:27am

Old 2012-07-14, 11:27am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
what, your saying it's justified that he was so disrespectful of his audience because he's so respected in the industry?

and btw, i have no skills. still learning. will always be learning. if i pull off something pretty in glass it's because the the planets are in line and the solar storm must have missed me.

i'm still not sure what exactly you meant by that. gotta love txt.
No I don't think what he did was acceptable. I was suggesting he did so because he was intimidated or jealous of her amazing skills. It was a joke.

~

Old 2012-07-14, 11:54am

i figured it was meant in jest....just wasn't sure what you were trying to get across.
Old 2012-08-04, 12:46pm
Disconnected

Please Amy, could you share what you ended up with?
I think I'm due for a replacement of my AUR-92, I've been torching more than usual these days and my right eye is telling me that something's not quite right.

Old 2012-08-04, 12:50pm
Storm Queen

Malcolm got some glasses made for me and I should have them today or Monday. I know they hit my post office this morning because I'm stalking the tracking info. I need to test them out once I get them and if they are the answer to my problem and working with silver laden glass then Malcolm will have a limit number made. It's ACE 2 lens material which was an odd lot of glass and there is only a little left. I'm sure it will be enough filtering to reduce the brightness but I'm just hoping it's not too dark. I'll keep everyone posted.

Old 2012-08-04, 1:00pm
Disconnected

Thank you!
I don't need prescriptions lens nor do I work with a lot of silver glass, but I have recently started to feel that some regular colors seem to yield much more flare than others. I didn't think lenses could lose their efficiency (I've had them for 6 years), though, so I'm wondering if it's just me and whether I should get darker ones.
I will check this thread.

Old 2012-08-04, 3:43pm
apt to wander....

I started with a pair of Phillips 202 but stupidly forgot them when I went to SGI. I bought a pair of the SB's from Wale while I was there and have really noticed the difference. I was having a problem with flare/brightness on some regular colors too and they have totally made a difference! Maybe I was meant to be forgetfull

Melissa
Old 2012-08-04, 4:29pm
Disconnected

Thank you Melissa, that's helpful

Old 2012-08-05, 3:47am

I have been using the Wale SB's for 3 weeks now (I have the groovy purple ones) and really like them (previously had really, really heavy phillips), they are darker than the didys but I find I can see the flame definition much better than I could before (I torch outside and it's quite bright).
Before I got the Wale's I ordered a pair of Auras (I checked for estimated dispatch before ordering after reading a lot of negative feedback, anyway, it all ended in tears and a Paypal dispute ...)
Go the SB's ...
Old 2012-09-30, 6:10am

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Amy ... any update on the glasses from Malcolm ... very interested to hear!!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-09-30, 9:20am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonwoodStudio View Post
Amy ... any update on the glasses from Malcolm ... very interested to hear!!
Sorry I didn't post. The lenses are fabulous. I was afraid they would be dark but they are pretty much the same as my AUR92's in how much light they appear to let in. In other words I can see just as good through them. Two years ago I got to the point that I needed reading glasses so the best solution for me were fitovers. I could have gotten prescription lenses but I knew my prescription would change so I didn't want to do that. I'm really not a fan of fitovers because they put so much pressure on my ears and nose. But that's got nothing to do with the lens filters.

Are they the solution to my eye problem? I really don't know. When working with silver glass and super heating glass colors like TNT during a four hour torch session, I would sometimes have issues with my left eye. It would feel irritated and dry during the torch session and look a bit red later on. Sometimes....about once a year it would get really red which is what happened a couple of months ago and I didn't torch for a week waiting for it to get better. The first time this happened I did see my eye doctor and he said my eye was fine. I've talked to my current eye doctor and my eyes are fine. I was just concerned that maybe I was getting some IR from the silver glass and that was causing the reaction with my left eye. So since these filter out IR that my AUR92's didn't, I'm hoping I won't have that problem again. Time will tell so I can't give an answer for that and I asked Malcolm if Philips has any specs on this filter and apparently they don't.

Old 2012-10-03, 7:32pm

Location: Loving Bermuda, dreaming of Africa and looking forward to Maine!

Hiya .. Tx for the post. Did it help deal with the brightness issue when melting silver glass also? I really need something to deal with this ...! I've got the fit over glasses but it really hurts my nose as they are heavy, when I've been torching for a while and the brightness is a problem. Been having a lot of problems also left eye and red/inflamed but not so much recently ...haven't done torching since Oct last year, just did another session on Tues so will be interesting to see what happens!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got." Janis Joplin
Old 2012-10-04, 4:41pm

Don't know if will help those that wear fitovers or not but I tie a bandana around my head and put the end of the bows up on that. It seems to help.

Georgia
Old 2012-10-06, 4:49pm

Bill Brown at Philips Safety Eyewear just made me a pair of Ace 3 with the 1.5 magnifying lenses and they are fantastic. I love them! They were well worth it at under $200 and I had them within a week or so. does anyone use the ace 3 also with soft glass? Or is it too dark.
Old 2012-11-01, 12:43pm
Storm Queen

I just wanted to give an update on the special order glasses Malcolm had made for me. I've been super heating silver glass for quite a few torch sessions back to back with no eye issues at all. I'm pretty confident that these new glasses have solved my problem.

Old 2012-11-05, 11:10am

I just wanted to report that I ordered a pair of the AGW lenses from Aura Lens mentioned in the beginning of this thread back in March. I really like them, but still have a chunk of shade 5 welder's glass that I can hold up in between me and the torch from time to time. I mostly don't use that when working glass anymore, just when purging my lines at the end of a session. I did order with the expectation that I would have to wait about 3 months for the glasses, and I did follow up (respectfully) a few times to check on progress. I ended up with the wrong colour goggles and was supposed to receive the pieces to change the colour, but have not. I don't really care about that in the long run.

I should say that my credit card was charged right from the start, contradictory to statements I've read elsewhere in this forum. That gave me added incentive to follow up.

Overall, I'm happy with the glasses. I'm not sure if I would order again or not, but at least I did receive my order, and was not treated disrespectfully.

Facebook:

Free Lampwork and Jewelry Tutorials, with easy searching, prominent linkage to your shop or site, and rotating featured tutorials: