Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2014-10-07, 12:37am
Bernhard Riegler

just fume bullet
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-10-07, 5:34am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
just fume bullet
I sure do love that. Great job.

-BEP
Old 2014-10-07, 12:22pm

awesome work. keep it up
Old 2014-10-07, 1:00pm
Bead semi-newbie

gold or silver fume?? it is so wonderful!!!!! silver bullet is the glass, right?
LOVE silver glass
Old 2014-10-07, 9:26pm
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
gold or silver fume?? it is so wonderful!!!!! silver bullet is the glass, right?
It is gold and silver fume. Silver bullet as in glass may exist, but I don't know of it. I call this bullet because of the shape. It is only clear glass with a gold fume at the tip and silver fume at the bottom - but I use a little blue sparkly colour for the bail.

Old 2014-10-08, 7:03am
DaveK

I'll jump in here. I have had problems with 24K gold. Don't know what I am doing wrong. When I swich to gold leaf or 14-18k I seem to get more to stick. I know everyone says to use 24K.

Also there is a document in the Tips and Tricks forum in Facebook that may be of interest https://www.facebook.com/notes/glass...41627342553340

(I guess you have to be signed on to Facebook, not sure if you need to be a member of that group to read it)
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2014-10-08 at 7:07am.
Old 2014-10-08, 12:24pm
Bernhard Riegler

could it be that your work piece is not quite hot enough? I have mine just under glow. Never had sticking problems . .

Old 2014-10-09, 9:24am
Bead semi-newbie

such a coincidence! there is a boro glass called Silver Bullet! what are the chances of that, great. so this is silver and gold fumed on clear??

i have an old 18K ring, can i use that to fume?
LOVE silver glass
Old 2014-10-09, 12:59pm

It is INSANE how beautiful that bullet is. My jaw just dropped.

Michelle
Old 2014-10-09, 1:53pm
Bernhard Riegler

thank you Vitesse6
and Sara, you need 22k or 24k gold - 18k is not pure enough

Old 2014-10-09, 8:51pm

Breathtaking, Bernhard. That sums up my thoughts.
Old 2014-10-10, 4:40am
DaveK

Here is some information that might interest.

Fumed Honeycombs

What is amazing to me is all, or most, of the colors are achieved by fuming silver and striking in a certain way.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-10, 4:45am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onekura View Post
could it be that your work piece is not quite hot enough? I have mine just under glow. Never had sticking problems . .
I think you are right. I tried it again an got some results, def pink hues, but the end result was too light. I was trying to keep from going white, which is usually what happens. I have read a gasoline color, with the silver after the gold, is ideal to get the subtle hues.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-15, 10:23am
DaveK

So my fuming is very intermittant. I either do it too light, not pictured, too heavy - the butterfly, or rarely, just right. I have trouble with the 'too light' vs. 'just right' differenciation.

You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-15, 10:40am
ManBearPig

What clear are you using? The kind of clear plays a big part in what kind of fuming results you get.

Old 2014-10-15, 11:00am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
What clear are you using? The kind of clear plays a big part in what kind of fuming results you get.
Not enough, looks good only in full sun.

i like the blue though, wish I knew what i did to get that!

Glasscraft is right by my house so whatever they sell, usually:

You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2014-10-15 at 11:14am.
Old 2014-10-15, 11:24am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlando1 View Post
Just got the bad news today. The studio space I have been using for the last three years is no more. I rented half my neighbors garage. The insurance inspector came to write a new policy and said that the studio is a fire hazard and the house will not be covered if there is a kiln and propane in the garage. I was hoping that I could torch while my knee was on the mend (Torn tendon). Looks like it might be a while before I can find another place to play. As glass addicts yourselves, I know you know how disappointed I am.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's work. I hope to post mine sometime in the future.
Dave
Maybe try The People Connection
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-15, 1:15pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Not enough, looks good only in full sun.

i like the blue though, wish I knew what i did to get that!

Glasscraft is right by my house so whatever they sell, usually:

Throw it back in the kiln for a couple cycles and see what you get.

The blue is from a light fuming of silver. The more you fume the whiter and more opaque it turns.

Simax doesn't react with fume as well as Kimble, but you can sometimes kiln it a few more times and get more out of it.

Old 2014-10-15, 6:50pm
DaveK

Where do you get Kimble?
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-16, 7:42am
ManBearPig

I used to get it at Mountain Glass. They don't seem to be carrying it any more though, so I'm not sure. I have several cases here so I haven't had to buy any for a long time.

Old 2014-10-16, 8:51am
DaveK

I found this on Amazon. I have Amazon Prime, so no shipping. If anyone in Eugene wants to split a case, PM me.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-16, 9:55am
Bead semi-newbie

went on the link to the Kimex site and they say "ships in 1-2 months" for some stuff, glory be, i have had stuff take that long from China when i didn't notice - or could figure out - the source for an order. they must start trolling the beaches for sand when they get the order.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2014-10-16, 12:33pm
ManBearPig

I have heard about good results from Schott as well. I have not tried it though.

There are several people I know that get good consistent fuming from Simax. I'm not one of them.

Old 2014-10-16, 1:22pm

I get excellent results with Simax. With some small adjustments in mix and flame chemistry very much like I used to get with Kimble. Also Simax is readily available and I find the quality and consistency to be the best.
Old 2014-10-16, 1:41pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
I get excellent results with Simax. With some small adjustments in mix and flame chemistry very much like I used to get with Kimble. Also Simax is readily available and I find the quality and consistency to be the best.
I have a good friend who teaches a lot in Japan and he switched to Simax because that's all he can get there. He gets incredible results from Simax. I just haven't messed with it enough to be able to have any luck.

Old 2014-10-16, 2:19pm
Bernhard Riegler

I can only get Schott and Simax - Schott was useless for fuming - the colours are dull. All the fume I do now is Simax and I am happy with the colours I get

Old 2014-10-16, 4:16pm
DaveK

Yeah, I have been told, even with free shipping that $383 price is really high. I thought it was a good deal since Kimble-Chase was charging over $600.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-21, 7:59am
DaveK

I think I am finally getting the hang of it.

Fuming over Fuming
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2014-10-21, 8:44am
ManBearPig

Yep. Looks like you're getting it.

Old 2014-10-22, 3:55pm

Beautiful Ka.