Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-23, 8:30am
Carpe beadum

Default What is this glass?

Can someone tell me what brand/color this glass is?

Soli Deo Gloria

Last edited by Quicksilverart; 2012-08-23 at 9:56am.
Old 2012-08-23, 8:39am

Looks a bit like a Vetrofond odd with those ends.

Or a not-odd. Could be ivory or something similar, I can't really tell the colour.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2012-08-23 at 8:41am.
Old 2012-08-23, 9:49am
Carpe beadum

The ends have a pinkish look to them, but the rod looks a bit gray/slight pink, if that helps.

Soli Deo Gloria

Last edited by Quicksilverart; 2012-08-23 at 9:56am.
Old 2012-08-23, 1:51pm
Plumb

Maybe one of those odd pinks...that we were supposed to love . Fish, flower or whatever the other was?

Old 2012-08-23, 3:44pm
Naysayer

I would say it's vetro only because, look at post #14, I have white that is like that.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ht=vetro+white

oops scratch that, I never did find out, I ordered Moretti but some say their vetro was like that, so i'm of no help at all haha

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2012-08-23 at 3:48pm.
Old 2012-08-23, 8:22pm

I put this in the bathroom but I'm going for Vetrofond Special Ivory which was renamed "Italian Marble. Kind of pinkish grey rods....

Old 2012-08-23, 8:23pm

actually kind of an ivory, pinkish, and add a touch of grey hue lol

Old 2012-08-24, 4:11am
Carpe beadum

Wow, Ravenesque...that's just what it looks like....I figured it was Vetro just because the center is that thin, clear core.
Reenie, I wonder if it is Italian Marble. When you posted in the bathroom that it might be Special Ivory, I immediately thought no, it isn't ivory at all. But when they renamed it Italian Marble....now that makes sense. I have never ordered Italian Marble, but these arrived unlabeled and it would be easy to mix this up with Mauvelous which I did order. That would also explain why my Mauvelous never lustered up and just looks streaky mauve. I think you may have hit it, Reenie. Anyone else out there have any labeled Italian Marble that they can check?

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2012-08-24, 5:54am

Doesn't look like the Italian Marble I have.

Old 2012-08-24, 5:58am
Nikki Haverstock

We need a 'DNA test' for glass. Haha

Old 2012-08-24, 6:36am

Actually I do think it is one of the many batches of Vetro Mauvelous Odd they put out.I have about 10 different batches of it..all diff shades of greyish,pinkish,purplish..and I took this pic of one batch.Its the only one with the same exact markings you have in yours..

Mystery solved..maybe?
"

Old 2012-08-24, 6:51am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Mystery solved..maybe?
I think you did!!!!

Old 2012-08-24, 7:06am

When I first started to buy the Mauvelous,it was a much more lt purplish color..gradually each batch got more and more light and then grayish..little pinkish too.However..on my first batches I discovered a neat thing and tho I haven't tried it on this particular batch..I put dots of goldstone stringer on the Mauvelous.Out of the kiln I found that the goldstone had turned clear with a bunch of little green sparkles.I have not seen that happen anywhere else and if you were to give it a try..bet it would show you do indeed have Mauvelous there.I just tore apart my studio looking for just one of those beads to photo as I have made plenty..but not a one to be found Anyway..give it a try any of you that have it!Neat reaction! ♥
"

Old 2012-08-24, 8:00am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rareripes View Post
Actually I do think it is one of the many batches of Vetro Mauvelous Odd they put out.I have about 10 different batches of it..all diff shades of greyish,pinkish,purplish..and I took this pic of one batch.Its the only one with the same exact markings you have in yours..

Mystery solved..maybe?
Sure looks like it. I never ordered that color because besides true maroon, mauve is my least favorite color. Which explains why I don't have it

~

Old 2012-08-24, 8:02am
sunscreen me baby

If you use factory goldstone rods as stringer and make melted in flower petals, they will get clear with dark green speckles too.

~

Old 2012-08-24, 8:54am

Lol,Suzy..since I have a nasty palsy in my one hand and not much good at stringer control..I never knew that.I bet it does it on many things..I just can't lay down good stringers so I relapse to organics..I truly admire those that have perfect stringer lines
"

Old 2012-08-25, 4:19am
Carpe beadum

Yup, Diana, that looks exactly the same as mine. Thanks so much! Now I can put a label on it and put it away and hoard it for years till the rubber band on it rots. Like I do with all my odd glass.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2012-08-25, 5:03am

LOL..I have been replacing rotten rubber bands for the last several months since I finally have a studio and don't store all my glass in boxes.I use those plastic ties kinda like the police use as cuffs..except a smaller version..take out a rod and tighten it up..works great!
Glad I could help,Carolyn!♥
"

Old 2012-08-26, 11:22am
Carpe beadum

Oh! Zip ties. Brilliant! I started using covered rubber bands, but they lose their stretch quality pretty quickly.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2012-08-26, 11:41am
Flame Dames Rule!

I use stretchy pony-tail holders, get em in packages of 50 at the dollar store.

That's a cool glass pattern in the crosscut. Has anybody tried cutting slices and using it like a murrini?

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-08-27, 12:11pm

Hmm..you might be con to something,Sharon..
"