Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-23, 8:03am

Default 96 help needed - reactive glass

I am helping a friend that uses COE 96. I am familiar with COE 104 reactive glass *makes a black line between colors, ie, dark ivory next to dark sky blue) but I don't know 96 reactive glass.

I need the rod color name of the Kugler 96 that would leave a black line between the colors.

Thanks for your help!

Rich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-08-23, 1:09pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I don't know about Kugler at all Rich but I can tell you that Uroboros Cloud Opal does some interesting things when paired with silver foil or used under frit and then reduced. Just if he wants some other options.

Old 2012-08-23, 2:57pm

Thanks Astrid - I bet it looks beautiful!

Old 2012-08-24, 5:19pm

ok may I assume that no one uses COE 96 to make beads?

Old 2012-08-24, 5:27pm
Loving learning

I know that Shawnette does exclusively, and she's very nice if you wanted to PM her.
Old 2012-08-24, 6:13pm

Ooooo, nice idea - thanks!!!!!

Old 2012-08-24, 7:30pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Rich, you might contact Leslie at That Frit Girl or Robin at Glass Diversions. Because they sell so much 96 in frit form they might have more info for you.

Some of us use 96, I do almost exclusively but most of mine is Uroboros and Gaffer. What about posting in the furnace glass section? That's what I did when I was looking for a cranberry in 96 and I received good help from them.

On the front page, bottom section, find 'Furnace Glass'.

You might also call Hot Glass Color. They sell Kugler and might be able to help you.

Old 2012-08-25, 7:47am
Debra Clutter

You can use Kugler silver blue. I am not sure what you are looking for but check my website. I have a free recipes for 96 glass. I also have one for sell for 96 reactive glass. http://www.cluttercreations.com/lamp...ers_free-2.pdf

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-08-25, 7:51am
Debra Clutter

after looking at your post again I think this isn't what you are looking for. Can you show us a picture? Many of the 96 glasses are reactive to each other.

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-08-25, 8:32am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclutter64 View Post
You can use Kugler silver blue. I am not sure what you are looking for but check my website. I have a free recipes for 96 glass. I also have one for sell for 96 reactive glass. http://www.cluttercreations.com/lamp...ers_free-2.pdf
Thank you for posting this! I wondered what all the fuss was about with Firelight Opal. I have some but just used it as a white or base! NOW I can really get some use out of it! LOL

Oh, and Iris Blue R 144...sometimes I can get a beautiful dark blue silvery shine and other times...nadda. Does it over reduce or reduce quickly?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-08-25, 9:40am

ok, in 104, if you put dark sky blue (it does not have silver in it) with dark ivory (it has silver in it so it is a reactive glass), no matter what pattern you design, it always leaves a black line where the two glasses touch.

I want to know the names of the 96 glass that will do the same thing. I called Kugler and ordered glass - a lot of glass!!!!! I want to speed my process of finding out how to get the black line using 96.

Thanks

Old 2012-08-25, 10:19am
...displaced ocean lover

Santa, I went on the OCR website and they have a lot of info there. You can email or call and they are super helpful.

Also, I thought Sky Blue's and Turquoise Blues did have silver. I didn't know that ivory had silver.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-08-25, 12:38pm

Dark ivory reacts with several other colors too because it is so reactive.

Old 2012-08-25, 1:58pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsantaclaus View Post
ok, in 104, if you put dark sky blue (it does not have silver in it) with dark ivory (it has silver in it so it is a reactive glass), no matter what pattern you design, it always leaves a black line where the two glasses touch.

I want to know the names of the 96 glass that will do the same thing. I called Kugler and ordered glass - a lot of glass!!!!! I want to speed my process of finding out how to get the black line using 96.

Thanks
I don't believe dark ivory has silver in it.

Glass Pigments

Compounds = Colors

iron oxides = greens, browns
manganese oxides = deep amber, amethyst, decolorizer
cobalt oxide = deep blue
gold chloride = ruby red
selenium compounds = reds
carbon oxides = amber/brown
mix of manganese, cobalt, iron = black
antimony oxides = white
uranium oxides = yellow green (glows!)
sulfur compounds = amber/brown
copper compounds = light blue, red
tin compounds = white
lead with antimony = yellow

Old 2012-08-25, 3:48pm

Why then does it react so well with other glass? Could there be lead in it? Several 96 rods have lead in their make-up according to the glass person at Kugler.

Old 2012-08-25, 3:52pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Rich, there was a thread back awhile where a bunch of us were begging Uroboros to do a dark ivory in 96 but nothing came of it. I think actually that this is something that is lacking in the 96 palette for some reason.

I can get some reactions that are similar when I use Uroboros opal almond and then apply Kugler light tobacco so maybe explore the light tobacco? Try layering it with some of your other Kugler or maybe as a base and see if that gets you anywhere.

Kalera might know more on that, I got the light tobacco idea from her.

Old 2012-08-25, 5:54pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

The black line is a copper/sulfur reaction when you are talking about turquoise and ivory in 104. That is one thing the 96 palate lacks(or at least did last I got to work with it). Kalera started a thread here a while back asking if we'd support with purchases if a company created a "reactive ivory" on 96. My shop has been stuck in the permit stage for a year, so I haven't gone to see what came of that. You can get a slight reaction out of the copper blue and light beige or vanilla. You'll probably see it on tobacco too. Much less dramatic than 104.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2012-08-25, 9:03pm

ok, I broke down and made a $200 Kugler glass order - you guys remember the 104 color thread I did with over 140 color combinations?

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...s+color+thread

I get to play with Kugler now! I want to only use Kugler glass for this experiment in glass reactions because they are sending me "reactive" glass too.

Last edited by richsantaclaus; 2012-08-26 at 7:23am.
Old 2012-08-26, 10:32am
...displaced ocean lover

Great info, Donna!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
I don't believe dark ivory has silver in it.

Glass Pigments

Compounds = Colors

iron oxides = greens, browns
manganese oxides = deep amber, amethyst, decolorizer
cobalt oxide = deep blue
gold chloride = ruby red
selenium compounds = reds
carbon oxides = amber/brown
mix of manganese, cobalt, iron = black
antimony oxides = white
uranium oxides = yellow green (glows!)
sulfur compounds = amber/brown
copper compounds = light blue, red
tin compounds = white
lead with antimony = yellow

Introducing...MY Etsy!!