Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-08-26, 9:20pm

Default the prettiest thing...

This morning, I checked on some Monarch Butterfly chrysalises in my yard, and they are gorgeous; inspiration for some fabulous beads, I think.

I would start with a thin coat of nile green over clear, add a ridge of goldstone (I swear, it's metallic!), then dot it with tiny dewdrops of clear. Yummy!
Old 2012-08-26, 9:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Ooooh, someone here used to make chrysalis beads and they were so pretty! I'll see if I can find a link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-08-26, 9:32pm
I'm a lilac!

Here it is! I am so glad I could still find this... her beads are so wonderful!

http://www.juderose.com/

Old 2012-08-26, 10:23pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Is this what yours looks like? Gorgeous, and it would be a fabulous bead! I've also seen them in an almost seafoam teal color.
Attached Images

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-08-27, 5:17am
flight risk

We raise monarchs every year, this year I had six- two have already hatched and been released. It's such an amazing process. I wish I was good enough to create a chrysalis- or even a caterpillar- in glass, they really are beautiful!

Old 2012-08-27, 11:10am
Melody of Glass

That's fascinating, Glenda. How do you do raise them? How did you get started?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-27, 6:56pm
flight risk

It's actually very easy. The butterflies only lay eggs on the milkweed plant (Asclepias family, more than 100 varieties) because that is the ONLY food the caterpillars will eat. Late summer/ early fall (in North Carolina- times will be different in other places) I look for the plants in the wild, they usually grow along roadsides and in meadows. We check the leaves for baby caterpillars- they are easy to spot, black and yellow and white striped. We put the little guys, along with a few leaves in a container and pick lots more leaves to feed them- all they do is eat and poop. As long as they have fresh leaves (they can be stored in the fridge), they eat and grow, then after about two weeks they attach themselves to the tops of the container and turn into a chrysalis. About 7 to 10 days later they split the chrysalis and are butterflies.

I've always wondered what happens in there during those two weeks, it's just so amazing.

Lots of good info is here- it's a conservation group based out of Kansas that has people tag and track monarchs- It's sad, the monarch numbers are declining due to destruction of the milkweed...
http://www.monarchwatch.com/index.html

I'll try to post some photos of the process when I get a chance!

Old 2012-08-27, 7:31pm
Melody of Glass

So cool! Thanks for explaining. Definitely post some pics.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2012-08-27, 11:44pm

It looked almost exactly like this...but the photo doesn't do it justice. It's more crystalline and fragile in person. And yesterday I thought they were dewdrops, but today I think they're more solid; crystallized fairy tears, maybe? Ooooh, cutesy!

Last edited by steiconi; 2012-08-27 at 11:50pm.
Old 2012-08-28, 5:30am

I found one detached in my yard. I put it in a jar and set it in my garage to see what would happen. A week later I noticed it had hatched. Just outside of my garage the beautiful new butterfly was fluttering around. Loved the experience.
Old 2012-08-28, 5:30am
flight risk

You know, I've never seen a chrysalis "in the wild". Oh, wow, and I just noticed that you (steiconi) are in Hawaii. Imagine the trip that butterfly makes to winter in Mexico (or do Hawaiian butterflies migrate?)

Old 2012-08-28, 12:13pm

No, I don't think they have any reason to migrate out of Hawaii. Maybe down to sealevel, where it's a bit warmer.

Years ago, I saw monarchs overwintering in Pacific Grove, CA. Bajillions of them covered eucalyptus trees by the ocean. Amazing!
Old 2012-08-28, 4:45pm
Must..have..more...glass

Default Monarchs

We were lucky enough to watch one attach to our gate, form its chrysalis and hatch: http://plantagarden-itllgrowonyou.bl...011/02/mr.html

Now we're watching some Anise Swallowtail caterpillars who are just about ready to pupate, but I don't think their chrysalises will be as beautiful as the Monarchs'.

Last edited by Winter Fire; 2012-08-29 at 1:37pm.