Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-12-12, 10:10pm

Talking looking for a good free list of nice color combinations in 104

Anyone have a great link? There is nothing more frustrating than making a bead and having the colors look yucky when they come out of the kiln. I am looking for a list of tried and true combinations.
Old 2011-12-13, 1:00am
Meet Molly

Melanie Graham has a monthly Blogspot on (I think mostly CIM colors)a few specific color combo reactions with a specific COE 104 CIM color. Each month she focuses on a different color. In Nov. she focused on Jade Palace. I recommend her blogspot strongly. The URL address is: http://melanie-graham.blogspot.com/

Kandice Seeber posts on a regular basis her findings of a specific new color of COE 104 in her blogspot Coloraddiction. She does an excellent job, as well.The URL address is: coloraddictionblog.blogspot.com

There 2 e-tutorials for purchase still available with many wonderful ideas by 2 different but talented lampwork artists, Hannah Rosner and Sarah Hornik.
Sararh's e-tutorial uses all COE 104 glass.
Hannah's e- tutorial uses lots of COE 104 glass but she also describes combos with COE 96 silver frit. The 2 e-tutorals are:

1.Silver Glass & Magic Color Reactions- by Hannah Rosner (Good River Gallery)
2.100 Color Ideas- by Sarah Hornik.

I hope this is of help! Enjoy experimenting with all the beautiful colors out there.
Neomi
Old 2011-12-13, 10:09am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Just surf finished beads on Etsy or Ebay?
Old 2011-12-13, 10:11am

But figuring out color schemes is most of the fun Following published recipes makes your work look like 99% of the stuff out there.
Old 2011-12-13, 10:46am
Nikki Haverstock

The color addiction blog. She shows each color but also shows it with other colors. I have found it very inspirational. ( anyone have the link handy)

Eta: it was mentioned above. Well I second the suggestion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Polgarra; 2011-12-13 at 10:49am.
Old 2011-12-13, 12:01pm

I am not looking for recipes on how to make a bead, I just want good color combos that don't turn out yucky. Like ivory and copper green. They are delicious together. The problem with looking at beads for inspiration is I don't know the color names.

Thanks for that link! I will check it out.
Old 2011-12-13, 10:53pm
honorary bead lady

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=141845
Old 2011-12-14, 8:56pm
Glass-aholic

There are a ton of colors out there that look great in other peoples beads that I would make look like crap! And just the opposite! You really need to play and try things out to see. most colors work flawlessly with each other... So play away! There are a zillion ways to modify hundreds of basic color combos. Best way is to look at beads, anywhere, and find what speaks to you! start in the gallery, etsy, eBay, artfire... Blogs, even china beads. See what colors are put together in other glass. I'm not saying copy the bead, but you will get an idea for color some artists will list the colors. Some you will have to just wing it. But it's not necessary to get the same exact color names, just the color itself. If I say green and blue I bet 10 glass peeps would have 10 different colors. All unique and awesome together. have fun playing!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2011-12-14 at 8:58pm.
Old 2011-12-14, 10:01pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
But figuring out color schemes is most of the fun
This is me. Experimentation is what I love best about glass.

That said, when I was just starting out I did look at lots and lots of LW beads and try to figure out color combos I liked. It's overwhelming at first until you get a feel for what you like to do.

Have you done any experimenting with transparent colors over white? I could spend ages doing that. Do like a white core and then put three or four stripes of different transparents on it. You can try out bunches of combos with just a few beads that way. Just a thought.

Old 2011-12-16, 11:52am
I ate a big red candle!

Sometimes I use a color wheel for nspiration

My fledgling etsy shop

Old 2011-12-16, 12:07pm
In the line of fire

Fabrics are my favorite inspiration on new color combos. Best to do those with non-reactive colors first, so there are now negative surprises. When you have a feel for the reactive colors, they can be added with more positive results.

Old 2011-12-18, 3:09pm
one day at a time

Best thing to do is experiment. All I can really tell you to avoid the ugly color disaster is not to mix the opaque turquoise and greens with ivory and yellows, EDP with ivory or yellow, because those make greenish blackish mud. You can use those in stringer applications over the top and get the dark reaction lines, but do not blend.
Old 2011-12-18, 4:54pm
Glass-aholic

I got on my laptop and found my bookmarks on color.
here are a few:

http://users.zoominternet.net/~beadg...ce_effects.jpg
http://colorschemedesigner.com/

I was also looking at your beads and see that you like to swirl colors together and thought it may be helpful to you to look at frit, and use similar colors together in your beads color combinations. Here are a few links.

Here is Kay's research. She has amazingly taken every color she can get her hands on and done it up with a bunch of colors to see if there is any reaction and so we know what it does and how it looks. She is amazing, and the work behind it was immense! This may help you a lot in figuring out what works with what.
the first link is for the frit, and the second has everything else.
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/frit.htm
http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/

Frit is a great way to know what colors work together and what doesn't. Although you may not see any names on the blends you can choose your own colors to match the combo's you see and like in frit. Check out any number of vendors in sidebar links and elsewhere (and if you want to make your own frit, I have a free tutorial and some mixes on my blog in the link below)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.: