LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-07-09, 8:36am
Born on date: 11/3/09!

*sniff* I didn't know Sara at all so why am I tearing up here? I was just a beginner lampworker when I tried The Blue Bead. That was back in 2005. I must have read this tut around the fall of '05. I will never ever forget my total excitement when I took these beads *unannealed at the time* from my fiber blanket. I got excellent effects from the mixture of the cobalt and silver. So from there I added different colored reaction glass frits, tried other transparent glass (red makes for some cool looks,) used tiny dots of rubino... all based on Sara's tut of The Blue Bead. I "perfected" my encasing from making so many variations of The Blue Bead. I can truly say that The Blue Bead was my jumping off point that let me know I would be a talented lampworker (if not small time

I am very sad to read that this kind woman has left us yet know she is somewhere wonderful.

Jennifer

As I read back I see I commented in 9/05. I dunno- for some reason this is one of those poignant eye-opening situations. A lot can change in five years.

Last edited by NorLigh; 2010-07-09 at 8:39am.
Old 2010-07-10, 5:33am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

About head out the door for classes... I hope the day goes fast, so I can come home and try this! It looks absolutely gorgeous!
Old 2010-07-29, 3:05pm
Bead Geek!

I stumbled on this thread a few weeks ago and was very saddened to hear of the passing of the originator of this lovely technique. I had to try it and after a couple of icky looking results I got a bead nice enough to share.

Prax
Attached Images

You must do the things you think you cannot do.
Eleanor Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-my blog (Don't be scared-go visit!)
Old 2010-08-06, 4:09pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Wow, I am speechless, I was just so excited about the tutorial, and did not even read the thread trough. Her passing really is a tragedy, sad, very very sad.
Old 2010-12-25, 2:28am
I speak Murrini!

Thinking of you tonight, Blue Bead Girl, and your kindness and generosity....

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-12-26, 1:13pm

Aw...De, nice thoughts from you!
Old 2011-01-02, 8:46pm

I can't wait to try this one.
Old 2011-01-20, 12:29am

Default Love the Bead!!

Thanks so much for sharing such a lovely bead recipe, cant wait to give it a whirl. I’ve tried it with Rubino pink wrapped in silver foil pulled into a stringer. Turns into a greenish color.

Tammy
GlassElephant.etsy.com
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-20, 2:40am

That's a very cool bead Tammy!
Old 2011-01-21, 2:57pm

I didn't know this wonderful artist, and it's sad that she left so suddenly. But don't you think she'd be pleased to know that 5 1/2 years after she posted this tutorial, people are still discovering it and are excited to try it?
Next time I'm at the torch, I'll give it a whirl...
Old 2011-11-11, 4:17am
Lover of Hot Glass, BABEE

This bead is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Old 2011-11-12, 5:59am
Who me?

I met Sarakay at the first Gathering in Louisville. She was wearing the blue bead. I found her to be a kindred spirit. We both were in awe of the lampwork greats, but needed quiet time to refresh. We spent breaks silently side by side on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. I was saddened by her passing. She left her sweet memory far beyond her short life.
Old 2011-11-28, 1:58am
FireBeads

I've been thinking of Sara Kay lately. Reading this again brings tears.
Old 2011-12-06, 6:20pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I'd seen this a few months ago, but failed to read the entire thread. For some reason, I did last week and, well, here's my contribution to it all.
First attempts:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-12-07, 4:44pm
Duchess of Dichro

I miss Sara

Old 2011-12-07, 6:39pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dana View Post
I miss Sara
So do I.

Old 2012-03-04, 4:59pm
reaction junkie

I am making a memorial bead today and using this recipe as my base... and so am thinking of two beautiful people the world is missing... I'm so glad Sara's tutorial lives on...

/
/
/
Old 2012-03-06, 12:49pm
Practicing perfect

I just read this today. So sad. What great contributions to her memory.

Old 2012-03-07, 3:20pm
Lover of all things color

I just found this tutorial today also, how strange to be reading her posts and then to find out that she is gone. Life is just to darn short.

Peace be with you Sarah...

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-07-07, 7:19pm
Senior Moment

Came across the tutorial and decided to give it a go with CIM's Azure. Had no idea till I got to the end of the thread that sarakay is no longer with us. Damn shame; she obviously was a great gal as well as a talented lampworker. I'm sorry I'll not get the chance to meet her.
Attached Images

Old 2012-07-27, 8:33am

That's really cool, I am going to try that when I get home.
Old 2013-01-10, 4:27pm
Unmedicated since '62

giving this a bump to the top for the newbies

this is a really great tutorial for learning how to play with silver and reactions plus it has some wonderful techniques you can use in other projects

in memory of a very generous Sara

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-01-11, 7:22am
Redheaded Thread Killer

<3 Sara - Miss you.

Thanks Deb. I remember the fun times for Chinese Auction. I have a bracelet made with her beads and treasure it greatly. It's always nice to see this thread make its way back to the front for others to see.

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2013-10-15, 12:28am
Phill

Just a tap to remember Sara.
Old 2013-11-02, 8:30am
Practicing perfect

So glad this was bumped up again. I tried this when I first read this with not much luck. When I saw this again, I decided to try again. I sure am glad I did.

Front and Back. That is silver, not gold. I used Effetre crystal clear and while melting in the second string of clear the silver had a fuming affect and the clear turned this lovely gold.

Name:  IMG_0182_resized.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  29.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0176_resized.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 2013-11-02, 11:01pm

Inez,
That's really pretty! I was sorting my beads tonight and came across a couple I made from Sara's tutorial. I just had to come back to this thread to read it again.
Cheryl
Old 2013-11-06, 8:07am
Practicing perfect

thank you Cheryl. I'm going to play with this some more. I would really like to try to get more of the robin egg blue Sarah got.

Old 2013-11-06, 12:53pm

Nice job on the blue bead Inez.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-06, 1:05pm

Deb, Thanks for having bumped this post. I go through the archives alot and made Sarakay's blue Bead with limited success. I decided to come back and try again so I thought I would read through the entire post this time, I did not know Sarakay had passed.
I thought I would make another one today after reading the entire post and this is the first one I am really happy with.
I know it's to late but, Thank You Sarakay:

Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-11-06, 4:02pm
Practicing perfect

Thank you Bob and ditto on your bead. Love the variations of colors you got out of this technique.

Yes, thank you Sarah for your generous soul. May it live on forever.