Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-12-05, 4:28pm

Default Snowflake Tutorial

Step 1: Prepare a design drawing of the snowflake at the size you want to make it.

Step 2: Start with a 6 mm rod and attach a cold seal punty to the end. Heat the rod about 1/4" from the end and pull out slightly to create a thinned section.

Step 3: Remove the punty and melt the end into a small ball

Step 4: Add bits onto either side of the rod just below the thinned section of the rod.

Step 5: Melt in the bits on either side of the rod and then gather the glass ball that you created in Step 3 further while allowing the flame to splash on the tops of the two side balls so that as it collapses you don't create any cold seals where the arrows are.

Step 6: Add two larger bits on either side of the rod about 1/2" down from the cluster at the tip.

Step 7: Add two more bits lower down on the rod. When applying these heat the rod and the back side of the smaller bit above it so that the union between the two "arms" flows together as much as possible.

Step 8: Use a pinpoint flame to melt in all of the cold seals.

Step 9: Now make 5 more - or whatever your design calls for.

Step 10: Make a maria on a 10 mm rod.

Step 11: Punty onto the maria face then melt off the 10 mm rod.

Step 12: Melt the excess 10 mm rod back into the maria and use a marble mold to round out the face. Fire polish out any chill marks.

Step 13. Here you can do something interesting if you want to enhance the optical effects of the clear glass. I just heated the back and used a push to make a depression in the glass then fire polished it, but you're all more creative than I am so I'm sure you'll come up with something better.

Step 14. Now add all the branches onto the maria you've made and add a loop and your done.

Happy Holidays!
Old 2013-12-05, 5:14pm

Pretty!
Old 2013-12-05, 5:16pm

Thank You!

I think I am going to try to make these in a 2 inch diameter size to hang on the tree.
Old 2013-12-05, 5:21pm

Very cool!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-12-05, 9:15pm
Sucks at being nice

Amazing! Thanks for sharing! I am going to try this the next time I light my torch.

Old 2013-12-05, 9:35pm
I fart diamonds

Nice!! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2013-12-06, 1:28am
Naysayer

Super pretty! Thanks for sharing
Old 2013-12-06, 8:58am

Nice and easy instuction with great pictures! Thanks for sharing

Old 2013-12-06, 9:52am

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Old 2013-12-06, 12:23pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

That is just awesome!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2013-12-18, 9:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
Thank You!

I think I am going to try to make these in a 2 inch diameter size to hang on the tree.
Thanks for this tut! Did you make small ones successfully? I'd like to make one small enough to wear as a pendant!

Old 2013-12-24, 9:38am

I had time to play! This is my first attmept! Thank you so much for posting this tutorial!
Old 2013-12-24, 10:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmountainglass View Post
I had time to play! This is my first attmept! Thank you so much for posting this tutorial!

Awesome Donna! Thanks for posting a picture of your snowflake

Last edited by Talonst; 2013-12-24 at 12:28pm.
Old 2013-12-24, 11:15am

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387908915.859800.jpg
Views: 4612
Size:  48.7 KBmy first
Chuck
Old 2013-12-24, 12:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rough_necked View Post
Attachment 145216my first
Chuck
Nicely Done!

Just love seeing everyone's snowflakes - Keep 'em coming!
Old 2013-12-24, 4:08pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Oh how cool... It's too late for me to try this year, but I think this is a great thing to get a head start for next years holiday season. =)

Old 2013-12-24, 10:18pm

Awesome. Thanks Talonst!