Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-03-10, 4:30am
one day at a time

Default Dichro newbie - what can you recommend?

Several years ago, like about 7 years back, I tried some Effetre dichro on clear. This wasn't the CBS stuff, and it didn't have nice fused edges. I think it was scrap strips that I bought in the Garage. I got a halfway decent bead of it on a base of black, and that was on my HH. Then I tried again with my Mini CC and burned all the color out, a few times. I gave up because it was expensive and why waste it. I held onto it for a while saving it to use if I ever hooked up my HH again, and then I re-sold it.

I make small round beads about 12mm, so I was wondering about using a solid base like black or transparent dark colors and making a "wave" of this glass over the surface. Just a random "swizzle" on the surface, and then melted in smooth for some sparkle. I prefer not to encase if I don't have to. I understand that the dichro surface has to be up against the bead and not directly in the flame. I used to have Pat Frantz's video and it was great! I just need to know what brand of 104 dichroic glass to buy and where.
Old 2010-03-10, 11:08am
Lampworkaholic!

Try out Carol/Crystalflipz dichro stringers. They are perfect for your application. She sells them in her Etsy store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-03-10, 12:49pm
FatCat Mama

I like the stuff from Rocio Studios, here's the link.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2010-03-10, 3:29pm

Arrow Springs has fused scraps on sale right now for a pretty good price.

Old 2010-03-10, 6:27pm
Lover of all things color

Just curious, were you making sure that the dichro side was down, as in towards the bead. It's sometimes hard to tell which side actually has the dichroic on it, I've been told to touch a pencil point to the glass and if you see a reflection you are on the glass side but it never seemed to work for me. When get dichro strips I take them into good light and mark the glass side with a little scratch on one end.

Always head on the glass side, that way you won't be as apt to burn the dichro away, then after it has been laid down cover it entirely with clear to protect the edges from burning and turning white.

Now if I could only follow my own advice. I just made a bead the other day with a strip and really made a mess on the ends where it kind of boiled. I covered it with twists and murrini...LOL

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-03-26, 10:20am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

When winding the dichro on, right when you're about to finish the wind, how do you make a neat seal between the first bit laid down and the last bit? Hope you guys know what I mean... I'm getting a little overlap but I don't see that in other people's beads.

Old 2010-03-26, 10:56am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri.p View Post
I like the stuff from Rocio Studios, here's the link.
I second this source! It's beautiful and easy to use.

Old 2010-03-27, 11:58pm
The Forgetful Beadmaker

Here's a nice video from Don McKinny at CBS. It should help.

http://www.glasspalette.com/BeadVideo.html

Also, one of my favorite ways to use dichro is to make a twisty out it. Make a clear paddle, put one color dichro on one side and another on the other side, encase the whole thing and twist! You can do it with three colors too. Just make a triangle gather at the end of the clear rod and add three colors the same way. It's REALLY pretty on a black bead.

Janet
"The standard for lower-risk products for use by current smokers," argues the American Association of Public Health Physicians, "should be the hazard posed by cigarettes, not a pharmaceutical safety standard." Telling smokers they may not use e-cigarettes until they're approved by the FDA is like telling a floundering swimmer not to climb aboard a raft because it might have a leak.
Old 2010-03-28, 12:02am
one day at a time

Thanks to all!

Oh to answer the question - I could tell which side had the dichro simply by the feel of it. The dichro side was smooth, but not as glassy smooth to touch as the non-dichro side.
Old 2010-03-28, 7:03am

Thank you for the link to the video, Janet! Excellent tutorial on using dichro. I've bookmarked for future use.

Old 2010-03-28, 7:31am
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos* View Post
When winding the dichro on, right when you're about to finish the wind, how do you make a neat seal between the first bit laid down and the last bit? Hope you guys know what I mean... I'm getting a little overlap but I don't see that in other people's beads.
I don't worry too much about overlap for non-patterned dichro, but when there is a pattern I wind the dichro around to within 5mm of the start then cut it with nippers. I then tuck the end carefully in, creasing the end edge firmly in with the edge of my stump shaper

Old 2010-03-28, 8:49pm
one day at a time

Where can I get a pair of nippers like the ones in the video? Looks like the perfect angle to get up close to the bead to cut.