LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room > Free Boro Tutorials

Old 2007-03-09, 4:33pm

Talking Boro Marble Demo Video + GTT in action

I have uploaded a video of me making a marble using my GTT Mirage. I make a modest marble using the dot implosion (or is it compression), technique. It is long @30 minutes.

Modest Marble - The Movie is fearured on my main page.

I mounted the camera and headset microphone on the insides of a welding helmet that I took apart. So the video is shot from my right eye perspective.

If you do watch it please leave me a comment and/or rank it, on the youtube site. It is all the reward (or punishment) I get.

I hope you have as much fun watching it as I did making it.

~R
Old 2007-03-09, 4:40pm

Thomas Dolby - Hyperactive (live) 2006, is where I got the idea to mount all the stuff on my head. I am not going to show you a picture of me in the gear so you will just have to settle for looking at Thomas Dolby's set-up.

I am soooooo happy to see Thomas back in the business. I was a huge fan back in the day.

~R
Old 2007-03-11, 7:17am

good video. why do you wear gloves? wow, your 45?
Old 2007-03-11, 8:20am

Loved the video!
Robyn
Old 2007-03-11, 8:27am
Booyarashaka

Great video! Thanks

"Temet Nosce"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-11, 8:36am

Yep - I am 45. Believe me, I am more surprised than you.....

I find gloves more comfortable for my hands. For some reason the radiant heat from the glass and the torch hurts my skin. Maybe my skin is just getting thin.

I know most folks don't use and don't like to wear gloves but I like them. They are very thin leather and work for me. I thought about not wearing them when I was filming but decided to go ahead and video the way I work.
Old 2007-03-11, 9:01am
Tinder Bloom Studio

Love your videos Ross. I send people over to watch them when they are looking for tutorials.

40's sneak up on you when your not looking!!

Old 2007-03-13, 1:13pm
ManBearPig

Just out of curiosity... Why do you run the outer flame the whole time?

Of course, that would explain the need for the sleeves and gloves....

Old 2007-03-13, 4:13pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Just out of curiosity... Why do you run the outer flame the whole time?

Of course, that would explain the need for the sleeves and gloves....
Well, I use the gloves even with my Barracuda's inner fire so I think it might just be comfortable for me to work that way. My glove are getting a bit warn, but initially they are tight and I keep them a bit damp. I shed a few layers in the summer but it is plenty cool here with the ventilation going.

I ran the outer fire I guess, for several reasons. I was trying to work fast so the video wouldn't be too long. Maybe it isn't actually any faster but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
I have only had the torch for a couple of weeks and I am enamored with the power... It is just kind of cool having that big ol' flame there.
I suppose I was just having fun at the expense of O2 and fuel.
The other thing is I am the only one in the studio when I am taping so I do everything myself. It is a lot of multitasking and turning the outer flame on and off and readjusting it was more than I wanted to take on. Now if you want to donate a pedal.......

I think the real feat was the headset camera. I spent weeks trying to mount the camera on a stand and reach around it. I just couldn't get it to work with the bigger torches like I do with the Minor.

Thanks for asking Cosmo.

~Ross
Old 2007-03-15, 2:14pm
Senior Moment

Hi Ross, I love your videos. The marble video is great. You said you just got your new torch. What did you have to work your boro with before that? I have a minor and have only worked soft glass with it. I am just itching to try boro but not ready to buy a new torch quiet yet.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Old 2007-03-15, 3:10pm

Thumbs up

Hi Sharon

I have been working on a Barracuda for the last two years. I personally love the torch but I wanted something to let me work bigger and hotter. I also have a Minor that I still use every week for my soft-glass beads. I've had that one for five or six years.

I really like your Gandhi quote. I am trying to make the videos I want to watch. So I suppose, in my own way, I am being the change I want to see.

Thanks,
~R
Old 2007-03-17, 11:13am

thanks for the video!!!!
ro
Old 2007-04-01, 9:43pm

Wow Ross. I can't wait to get a mirage!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !