Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-06-22, 5:23pm

Default Signing marbles

I have been working on marbles a bit and now I need to learn how to sign them. I have a titanium pen but I'm not sure if I am using it correctly. I wet the pen and the marble and write but the result is so light and faint, I'm not sure I am doing it right. Should I push hard enough to hear it scratching?? Any tips?? I have never been able to write small. Could I develop a one letter sig - like an S with a spiral - would that be acceptable in marble circles??

Sandy
Old 2008-06-23, 4:15am
Borovangelist

I just got a TI pen and was wondering the same thing...bump...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2008-06-23, 4:31am
Madmanmarbles

You do need to push.. You will hear a scraping noise which is not scratching the glass, but putting a layer of titanium on the glass.
There is a artist who has an S with a swirl on the tail of the S. Josh Simpson signs his smaller marbles with just an S...
Use a scrap piece of glass or a marble that didn't come out to practice on. The more you do it, the smaller you will be able to write. Just like doing glass.. Practice, Practice,Practice..
I tried to to come up with a signiture that was made up of straight lines to make it easier to write ( MMM ) But then the date changed to 08 and I have to do circles anyway which I find harder...
It will come to you...Good luck..
Joe

[color="Red"] Chettah
Old 2008-06-23, 5:08am

Thanks, Joe - just what I needed to know!

Sandy
Old 2008-06-23, 12:04pm
ManBearPig

If you take some coarse sand paper and round off the tip of the pen just a little, it will leave a wider line on the glass and be easier to read.

Old 2008-06-23, 12:12pm

Thanks, Cosmo - will definitely do that as it is too faint now.

Sandy
Old 2008-06-24, 10:23am

Mike Warren just signed a marble for me at GAS and as I recall, he just wet the marble not the titanium pen.. It looks great plus the marble is beautiful and so are his new sea shells
Old 2008-06-24, 5:15pm

It does take practice... you want to wet the glass not the pen (embarrassing to admit that I know this... but a little bit of spit work even better than water ) and use firm pressure.
-Kirsten

Old 2008-06-24, 6:04pm
Glass Hive Kiln Tech.

Mommy spit is the ultimate. Elixir of all things.

It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Old 2008-06-25, 7:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsGlass View Post
Mommy spit is the ultimate. Elixir of all things.
He he, isn't that the truth

Old 2008-06-25, 8:06am

why not make yourself some signature murrine?

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.
Old 2008-06-26, 11:57am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

My DH signs his with just one initial which can be read as a W or M. This is the first letter of his first and last name so it works! It is quite light though and you have to know what you are looking for. I'm kinda glad it's light. That way is someone trys to pawn his marbles as their own, the tell tale sign will be the very lightly scratched letter.
Old 2008-06-26, 12:01pm

Yes, that is what I like about the titanium! It is very subtle so it doesn't take away from the design of your bead or marble. But I guess I also might be a little partial since I made my own titanium pens and I sell them tee hee
-Kirsten

Old 2008-06-26, 3:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedglass View Post
why not make yourself some signature murrine?
I have found that some collectors don't want it signed, some want it signed with a ti-pen, and some don't want a signature chip in the design.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-06-27, 5:20am

I tried the sanded down ti pen tip and the spit. It worked! Still kind of faint and wobbly - but I guess practice will help with that - thanks!

Sandy
Old 2008-06-27, 1:22pm
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

...and Kirsten, your pen works wonderful! Thank you so much!
Old 2008-06-27, 2:54pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandree View Post
I tried the sanded down ti pen tip and the spit. It worked! Still kind of faint and wobbly - but I guess practice will help with that - thanks!

Sandy
The larger the marble the easier it is. I hate signing anything under 1".