Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-03-30, 8:33am
Mango Beads

Default Lynx set up advise please

I would be very happy if someone could reassure me !
I have a Lynx with the factory hoses attached and I am in the UK - When my torch first arrived I was advised that I could NOT attach UK propane hosing to the attached hose as the diameter was wider ( this advise was given by a gas man with no experience of the set up lampworkers use )
I sent my torch away to have the thing set up by someone who reall does understand lampworking , and it has come back with the UK hosing attached to the hosing that came with the torch ( as advised not to remove the factory hosing ) and I have been assured that this will be quite safe , but i am still very nervous .
The torch has run for 20 mins with no problems .
Am i being silly to worry that the hose could blow off because of the two different diameter hoses . As i said I have been assured of the safety but having been told not to do it I guess i am just being over cautious !
Would love to hear of any one in a similar situation !
Also what should the regulator be set to - I have no todh instructions to use so advise would be very much appreciated !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Manda x
Old 2008-03-30, 11:10am
Gentleman of Leisure

Two things you can do....... Grasp hose on each side of "connection"
and tug on it a bit ( maybe applying 15-20 pounds of pulling force) ... If it does not pull apart, then it is a "mechanically" sound connection. Also spray a bit of soapy water or leak test fluid on connections. IF there are no bubbles, then its not leaking. Remember the are low pressure connections and it does no take much mechanical force (clamps) to secure a good connection.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-03-30, 11:14am

Hi Manda,

I have a Lynx and after much head banging I took it to the local welding shop where a lovely chap cobbled it together for me, strictly against health and safety of course but I wasn't going to argue I have been using it for nearly four years now with the UK hosing attached to the factory supplied hosing and it has been absolutely fine. I do seem to remember obsessively testing for leaks though. Surprisingly when I got my Cheetah last year I didn't have a problem with the hoses, they just went stright on.

I have fished out my instruction sheet and the gas pressure for a Lynx is 5-8lbs pressure. I can't read anything that small on my regulator so I just listen for the hiss when I turn it on and then see how it works when I light the torch.
If you want a copy of my instructions I can try scanning them or send you a photocopy just let me know.

Congrats on your new torch I'm sure you're going to love it

Are you going to the Flame Off in Towcester?

Judith

Old 2008-03-30, 12:14pm
Mango Beads

Thankyou both for that - I feel better already . Judith particularly nice to hear you have the same set up . Martin did it all for me so I was sure it would be OK and if I hadnt gone to the Gas man first wouldnt have given it a second thought !
So i shall relax and check for leaks etc session ! How exiting I have had this torch since January so its taken me along time to get this far !
Thanks so much - not sure yet about Flame Off I have a ticket but things are a bit up in the air at the moment but if I come I shall come say hi !

]

Manda x