Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2012-01-14, 8:33pm

Default I am learning to make beads AND I receive BOC

Hello!

My name is Beth and I am very new to lampworking. I learned about two months ago while undergoing radiation in Florida and, long story short, I now make beads for the Legacy Beads program which is the same as Beads of Courage but is only at St. Jude.

This is a picture of me with my Beads of Courage. I never got to pick out of the acts of courage beads but I did get to admire them. Those beads mean so much to lots of kids!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Here is a picture of me with my Legacy Beads. They are much more uniform and diverse in that they are awarded for a wider array of medical happenings.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I make the end of treatment proton radiation beads for the kids undergoing proton radiation in Florida as well as the ones at St. Jude. (Which is only possible because of the AMAZING Debra Clutter! She has been so very kind, is helping me learn the ways of lampworking, and allows me to make my sad, simple, boring yet meaningful beads in her studio. Thanks Debra- someday I'll be as good as you.)

You can check out my blog at: bethfightsback.com to read more about the proton beads.

All of your bright beads are making sick kids' days brighter!
(It's true... I've seen it!)
Thank you!
Old 2012-01-14, 8:46pm

Welcome Beth,I bet your beads are far from boring.So there is another program out there that uses beads for kids.Maybe you could tell us a little more about this.
Old 2012-01-14, 8:49pm

You warmed my heart.

Ginko Beads
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-14, 8:56pm

Hi Beth

Welcome to LE. How exciting to be making beads! I hope you post some pictures of them. We would love to see them.

Some my first beads were pretty wonky. Wait... Some still are,..lol... I still have a lot to learn in lampworking.

Becky
Old 2012-01-14, 8:57pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Hi Beth! Thanks for sharing
isn't glass fun! Wishing you a swift recovery!
Old 2012-01-15, 12:27am
I'm a lilac!

Hi Beth! Welcome to LE and lampworking... it's AWESOME that you're using your new skills in glasswork for BOC!!! And thanks for sharing pictures... you have a radiant smile that is a joy to behold!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-15, 4:47am

Welcome Beth! Thanks for sharing your experience. It inspires me to make more BOC beads. I bet your skills will improve quickly. That happens, once you get the lampworking bug.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-01-15, 8:19am

Welcome Beth! We'd LOVE to see the beads you make!
Old 2012-01-15, 8:24am

Welcome Beth! It's great that you have learned to make beads yourself. You bring such experience to the programs!
Thanks for posting!
Robert
Old 2012-01-15, 9:05am
uncouthful cats

Hi Beth. Thank you for introducing yourself & telling a bit of your story. It's very exciting that you have joined us in our collective lampwork delirium - welcome!

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-01-15, 9:19am
Salt Box Beads

My goodness Beth. Your beautiful smile just lights up the screen and my heart! You are a survivor and a warrior! Welcome to the wonderful world of lampworking and kudos to you for also being a giver, giving back and fighting back...

We need more people like you on this forum and in the world.

(((hugs)))
Lorraine
Old 2012-01-15, 9:39am

Hi Beth, welcome to the wonderful world of beadmaking. I used to think that taking rod of glass and turning them into balls of glass wasn't very meaningful as art goes, but then I discovered BOC. Those little pieces of glass have a healing power we can't explain.

I'm sure your beads aren't boring at all. With a smile like yours it is easy to see that you have too bright a spirit to make boring beads.
If only the kids who get your beads could know that you can truly relate to them in a way few of us can.

Stay strong girlfriend! Keep melting glass. And keep us updated on your progress.

Old 2012-01-16, 12:02pm
The Queen of Sofa King

Hi Beth! I'm so excited for you as a new beadmaker!

I hope you post pictures of your work here and in the LE Gallery and keep us updated on your progress!

Hugs and Welcome!

Old 2012-01-16, 6:46pm
Debra Clutter

Beth you are so sweet! Beth is an amazing person and a joy to work with. She is making glow in the dark proton beads which are cool. She is coming along nicely!

#C-108
Art is the desire of a man to express himself, to record the reactions of his personality to the world he lives in. -Amy Lowell-

Old 2012-01-16, 8:01pm
Loving learning

Welcome Beth! I wanted to say thank you for telling us how important the beads are from both sides, and how neat I think it is that you are making them now too! Hugs and good wishes for you,
Eileen
Old 2012-01-18, 9:51am

Welcome Beth. Thanks for sharing your story. Watch out, bead making is super addictive.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2012-01-20, 3:21pm

A BIG welcome to you Beth!!!

Old 2012-01-20, 10:45pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Welcome to LE, Beth. We're very glad to have you here. You're lovely inside and out. *HUGS* Be sure to put your address in the RAOGK. I noticed you're not in there.
Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-01-20, 11:11pm
beads....mmmm

Welcome, Beth! How wonderful that you're making beads! Good for you.

::
Old 2012-01-21, 1:28pm

Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I am absolutely loving making beads and learning the tips and tricks.

I am sending 20 proton beads today so they will have enough beads to give to the kids that will be finishing up proton radiation in the next few weeks. It sounds like nothing but everybody starts small, right?

angelique_redhead, I added my information for the RAOGK. What exactly is that?

I am going back to St. Jude this week for my 6 week checkup scans. Maybe there's good news in my future!
Old 2012-01-22, 6:03am
Evil Glass Enabler

RAOGK is Random Act Of Glass Kindness. Those of us who have been in glass working for a bit try to share some of what we've gotten from others here in the past. For example glass, twisties, frit, beads, tutorials... If we have an address or email address that's been mudged it makes it easier. For example, mine mudged is angelique_redhead at yahoo dot com

20 beads is a fair number of beads. When our lampwork group has a BOC beadmaking night we get somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 beads so that's not shabby at all! Good luck with your St. Jude's trip. *HUGS*
Angelique

Quote:
Wow! Thanks for all the kind words, everybody. I am absolutely loving making beads and learning the tips and tricks.

I am sending 20 proton beads today so they will have enough beads to give to the kids that will be finishing up proton radiation in the next few weeks. It sounds like nothing but everybody starts small, right?

angelique_redhead, I added my information for the RAOGK. What exactly is that?

I am going back to St. Jude this week for my 6 week checkup scans. Maybe there's good news in my future!

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2012-01-22, 6:10am

Welcome Beth! Thanks for sharing your fantastic story. So glad you've joined the LE fun!

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2012-01-22, 2:41pm
what's a senior moment ?

Welcome to LE and the world of beadmaking Beth ! It is a wonderful addiction !

Thanks for posting about the St. Jude program. Something I had never known about before.
And thanks for posting those pictures ! What a joy to see your smiling face with all your beadies.
Please come back and let us know how your check-up went.