Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2007-10-22, 10:10am

Default Re Lox

We use a 750 lb dewar at the studio. They wheel it in on a dolly. In 3 years I've only had one that was loud. And it doesn't need to be kept outside. My supplier also delivers smaller ones to homes if they can get them in. I LOVE LOX. It's even better than high pressure tanks!! Paula

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-10-22, 7:48pm
Playing with Fire!

We also considered the Onsite Pro-8, we have 2 Mirages, a Phantom, a Hellcat, and many mini ccs. We found we would need a very large compressor, and as others have said, they are very loud. We looked into quite compressors, and the do exist... the are called scroll or screw compressors. The problem is they cost a LOT of money, $5,000 and up!

We decided on liquid oxy, and use 180 liter GP50s... equal to 18-20 k tanks! They cost us $80.00 a refill, k tanks used to cost us $26.00! The GP-50s last us up to 7 weeks each.

Our tank is kept outside of our building.

-Ed-

Playing with Fire!
Old 2007-10-23, 8:43pm
Lampworker

a liquid holds aprox 16 tanks. if you use the liquid within a month you should not have much vent off, esp if you use it every day or two.

liquids arent allowed in residental areas. i work in an industrial area so this isnt a problem. i go through about 1.5 liquid tanks a week.

to get them off a truck get a chain hoist mounted above where you can drive your truck under and use that to lift it up, drive the truck away and lower it down onto the ground.

as for concentrators, i am going to try a huricane beause the noise is low and the output will run two lynxes, so they say?....we will see... if it ever gets here.

i just talked to wally from GTT and he tried a Quad 100 by sequal. takes as big a compressor as the airsep. i have heard bad things about several companies. one thing is that the pressure is cranked up and ends up blowing too much reg air through...the other thing is that they break really eaisly and cost lots of $ to repair. dont know if these accusations are real or just one time problems. the biggest thing i dont like about the larger generators are the price and huge compressors needed (loud, $, need air dryer and oil seperator, and they take lots of electricty which i am lacking due to my large fans, heaters, and kilns)
Old 2007-10-23, 8:58pm

That's why we didn't go with a large generator also. Plus the system would have had huge electrical needs. I love the quiet of LOX. Btw in CT they will deliver to homes if they can get a truck in. My supplier told me that they also install permanent tanks and refill them from the truck. Kind of like our oil tanks that we use for home heating. They do this for people with medical needs.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-10-24, 8:55am

I'm thinking about fitting my old "beater" pickup to permanently hold a LOX tank. I can park it under a overhang right outside my shop and plumb the O2 inside. I might need to use some jacks to take the load off the springs while it is parked but other than that it seems like a good idea. I only use the truck in the summer for garbage runs so 95% it is just parked anyway.

The O2 guys said they would swap tanks off my truck if I drove it to their shop. I dunno, it could work.

~R
Old 2007-11-06, 2:37pm

For a lot of single bench shops even a pro 4 wich willl still make a K tank in 6 hours of use. Is big enought if you are using a k tanks worth in a 6-8 hour work day.
They use a smaller compressor. A 5 or 6 horse power is enought to run one of onsite pro 4's I grew up in suberbia and my dad always had a big 6 horse power air compressor for his air tools and paint guns. So to me I thought every guy had a big air compressor in there garage. Tho these days a lot of guys don't even have tools in there garages.

So some of the ladies hear that have men as husbands might be able to get the husbands behind you if they know they can now buy air tools.
IF any of you married a Tim Allen type guy you may already have the air compressor in the garage. lol lol

Yes it is true the air compressor to run the o2 genarator does have big power draw. But even in NY were its 14 cents per kilowatt of power. It only uses a lil bit under $2 of electric per K tanks worth of o2 produced. and thats with some of the highest priced electric in the country,

And they are the safest meathod of having o2 being there are no high pressure tanks and no liquid tanks venting off. They are even even aproved for use in a mails and places that you would never be allowed to have a liquid or well alone a tank of compressed gas biger then knee high.
Jewlers are starting to use them to replace tanked o2 for the cost savings and because they can run them in malls and other places thant tanked and esp liquid is just out of the question.

Thing that sucks for them. Is if they buy one from a jewlery equiptment supply house the price is double to triple then if reg joe off the street bought one for any other use then for jewlery manifacturing. lol lol lol and they still work out as being more economical in the long run for the Jewlers. and a lot of them don't even throw away rags if there is cents worth of gold dust on them.

Electric draw is a factor as far as having a heavy duty dedicated line for the air compressor to be on. and having the power needed in the studio.

its not to much difrent then a line for a large kiln. But yet not having to be as big being as they don't near as much power as a huge kiln would.

Old 2007-11-11, 8:58am

Getting ready to switch to LOX in a backyard studio (separate 300 sqft building). Need to store the tank inside due to desert temperatures. Studio is well insulated & cooled.
During off-torch times, is there a safety problem with venting -- as in oxygen buildup in the building?
If so, what do I need to do to keep from blowing up the neighborhood.
Keith
Old 2007-11-11, 9:15am

You won't have a problem with it inside. Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-11-11, 9:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingice View Post
Getting ready to switch to LOX in a backyard studio (separate 300 sqft building). Need to store the tank inside due to desert temperatures. Studio is well insulated & cooled.
During off-torch times, is there a safety problem with venting -- as in oxygen buildup in the building?
If so, what do I need to do to keep from blowing up the neighborhood.
Keith
Regulations regarding the storage and use of these tanks indoors varies widely from local to local. Your best bet is to check with the local fire department to find out what the regs are in your area. Something that is legal in Montana or Maine may get you cited and fined in California.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2007-11-25, 10:36pm

Anybody has coments about the oxygen generator Psyclone I? the manufactor claims it can run large torches such as the Carlisle CC. Anybody has experience with this?

V
Old 2007-11-26, 4:59am

Quote:
the manufactor claims it can run large torches such as the Carlisle CC. Anybody has experience
Maybe the center fire. on a cc but definitly not the outter fire or atleast not with the outer fire actully running any kind of a big flame.

Old 2007-11-26, 5:45am
In search of her path....

Most oxy places require you to have a containement area for the liquid tanks. They are very profitable to steal and reclaim...so you have to make sure they are secure. You CAN have them in a garage and its actually preferable. Its usualy on a nice concrete slab. Its secure and not visable and it helps keep the venting sounds from freaking out the neighbors. It also keeps it out of the elements both heat / cold. We ran a line from the garage into my studio when I had it at my last home. While I was using it it was a really great deal and gave me awesome results. I was able to get a contract with airgas...and they would deliver to my residence. There are some places and neighborhoods where you would not be able to have it because of city ordinances, neighborhood ordances / home owners assoc. rules..... just something to think about if its possible I would totally try to go with liquid. If there are 2 people torching everyday its really worth it.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-11-26, 6:59pm
Skeptical Optimist

Yah, I'd seriously doubt its ability to run a CC...

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-11-28, 9:56pm
Melting for Glass!

I have a Hurracaine and a small concentrator. I had been using my Lynx with both hooked together and found them to be sufficient although I did not seem to have a problem melting mandrels.
I just hooked up my Hellcat, and hooked the hurracaine and other concentrator to the inner ring and it gets HOT! I mostly can work with that flame and make some decent size beads (2 in. x 1 in.). I hooked up an oxy tank for the outer flame, and since I only run the outer flame when I make cane or an insanely big bead, my tanked oxygen seems to be lasting a while.
My conclusion is that a GTT torch really needs tanked or liquid oxygen to melt Boro like butter. Carliles such as the mini or Hellcat can do well with the larger concentrators (generators??) for the inner flame.

Cecilia

Old 2007-12-05, 10:00am
Lampworker

i got my huricane hooked up about 2 months ago....hooked up two center fires on phantoms. the outers are hooked up to liquid.

they run well can get all the flames needed. the only problem is when one person cranks the oxygen to get the "hissing" flames the other torch suffers a little. if you dont use these flames too often then you will be all good.

im going to bring my camera to work today and try to get some video footage of them to show you all after i upload to youtube.

i am thinking of buying more huricanes because as i stated before i have electrical issues with large compressors. huricanes pull 12 amps 20 at start up. im running it on a 20 amp circuit with a florecent shop light (64w) and hasnt fliped the breaker yet.

i talked to jack at unlimited oxygen about a Psyclone to run three centerfires and he said i would be better off running two huricanes linked together. so i am contimplating that set up for my three torch bench. it would provide plenty if not more than what i need for 3 centerfires all running at the same time full on. he said he would even make me a manifold to Y the two together and then have a three way splitter coming off the Y.

the huricane is saving me a lot of oxygen. hard to tell exactly how much, because i have 6 phantoms hooked up to one liquid in the shop. we use the torches that are on the gen. first as to save as much oxygen as we can. we were going through 1.5 liquids a week and now are down to 1 a week at most, depending on how much we work we may be able to get a liquid to last 2 weeks. woo hoo!!!

since we use the center fire the most that is what i am concentrating on getting on generators.
Old 2007-12-06, 7:21pm

Jack's site on the hurricane claims it will rum a phantom at 90%

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2007-12-06, 8:07pm
Skeptical Optimist

Yah it won't. I have a mirage and hurricane, hurricane wouldn't run the barracuda to 60%. I've had the hurricane for a year and have used it lots.

Patrice & Paul, Running a Mirage and Barracuda on a Pro-8.
Old 2007-12-06, 11:27pm

I run the hurricane on the outer fire seems to work fine for my use. if i had as many torches as Oldschool sound like a good choice for the center fires. It was my understanding that the Psyclone might be discontinued? don't take my word on that though, ask Jack.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.