Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2010-02-26, 11:36am
It's all about the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMissD93 View Post
I opened the box... and was confronted with a refuge from the 90s.
It was mauve.
I was never so disappointed.
Kimberly does custom torch painting. I ordered my cricket through her and as soon as she saw the color on mine (supposed to be a purple sparkle color) she knew I would be disappointed and asked for permission to fix it. I couldn't be happier with the job she did on mine. It can't hurt to send her a PM and ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-02-26, 12:05pm

Kimberly - when I click on the link to your video, I get the message that this video is private.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-26, 12:13pm
PyronamixK

Sorry about that. I fixed it; so, it should be public, now.
Old 2010-02-26, 12:54pm

Wow, GREAT video, Kimberly and Willy. It's nice to see an expert put the torch through its paces. Thank you, thank you, thank you. MUST GO PLAY!

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

My Blog
Old 2010-02-26, 1:28pm
Borosapien

finaly i see what kind of flame you can get with the scorpion.
Thank you Kimberly for making this clip.

Old 2010-02-26, 1:40pm

Thanks, I can see it now. Wonderful video. I'm gonna have to add some cement backer board to my torch area when I get mine.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2010-02-26, 2:09pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL at the intro to the vid.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-02-26, 2:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

HOLEY SNIKEYS!!! Did you see that outerfire!!!!?!?!?!?!?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-26, 2:14pm
PyronamixK

Remember, the video shows the torch being run on high tank pressures. I'll make a video later showing what it can do on some concentrators.
Old 2010-02-26, 5:17pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

i know, but that was bootiful!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2010-02-26, 5:26pm

Could I get that "sick boro flame" on 10lpm?

Old 2010-02-26, 6:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
But Hey, some people just love Mauve! And maybe it will fade, crack or wear with age and won't be mauve anymore.
I bet it won't be long before you don't even see it.
I was watching "Wall Street" the other night, and I kept saying - "Hey, that's my torch colour!"
(I think I irritated my family!)

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone who commented. I'll probably either learn to deal with it, or contact Kimberly if it still bothers me in a month.

Did anyone receive a red scorpion?
Old 2010-02-26, 9:00pm
Flamewoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
Remember, the video shows the torch being run on high tank pressures. I'll make a video later showing what it can do on some concentrators.
Oh, please, please, pretty please make a video of it with a Regalia!
That is what I am dying to see!

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2010-02-27, 2:25pm
PyronamixK

Meker, I doubt that you can get that same huge flame on 10 LPM, but you can get a nice boro flame. I will run it on some concentrators and show what it can do.

Miss D93, I don't think you got a bad batch. That's just the color. I think in the name "ultra red pearl," "red" describes "pearl" in the color name - as in, it is a reddish pearl (i.e., mauve *blech*). The red that GTT powder coats is like a fire engine red color.

GTT posted the color samples, so you can get an idea of the colors. Of course, they vary from batch to batch and they cannot guarantee anything. The sparkly purple Scorpion they have posted, for example, looks nothing like the sparkly purple Cricket I received from them.
Old 2010-02-27, 4:10pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

OMG Kimberley...check out the hot pink one with the hot pink knobs ( this sounds awefully dirty, but anyway)

That is mine! It looks awesome!

Old 2010-02-27, 9:52pm

After seeing that video I am so excited to get my scorpion!!

Old 2010-03-01, 12:30pm
traumaqueen

She's here! My precious!!!! I absolutely love it! ( her looks that is, I haven't hooked her up yet)

Old 2010-03-02, 1:10pm

So, who makes foot pedals? Are they hard to hook up? I want one real bad. A Scorpion with a foot pedal. I am on the verge of ordering one...
Old 2010-03-02, 1:58pm
DSDWC

Hey all,
After seeing the video that Kim posted I have come to the conclusion that I must have a purity issue with my concentrators that are feeding my O2 re-compression system. I think this may be why I was having a problem with the flame at higher pressures. This is the only solution I can come up with as to why I could not get my Scorpion to perform like the one in the video. I have ordered another Scorpion and will be running it on tanked O2. With this I should to be able to get the same flames that are in Kim's video.

While I wait I am looking for a way to have my concentrators tested. Anyone out there have a tester for this they would be willing to let me borrow for a few days?

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have not given up on this wonderful torch. I should have explored possible causes for my issue before passing on the torch. Now I am in the back of the line playing the waiting game again.
I'll let you know how it works out when I get it.
Peace,
Trey

Old 2010-03-02, 1:58pm
DSDWC

Hot Ass Tools make a nice foot pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
So, who makes foot pedals? Are they hard to hook up? I want one real bad. A Scorpion with a foot pedal. I am on the verge of ordering one...

Old 2010-03-02, 2:22pm

Thanks Trey! Fitting that you should reply, since your class is what made me want a foot pedal.
Old 2010-03-02, 2:51pm

I have a Smutboy foot peddle that came with my Mirage and it works great. I also bought an external digital controler for one of my kilns directly from his site http://www.hotasstools.com and can say the service was excellent.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2010-03-02, 3:11pm

There are several good pedals on the market. Ask yourself if you want an electric or mechanical pedal. This is probably a topic for another thread, though.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-03-02, 5:18pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
Oh, please, please, pretty please make a video of it with a Regalia!
That is what I am dying to see!
I just put this up (minutes before posting- so it might not be processed just yet):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9geqaBmZS8s

This video is just straight flame, no glass. I've got several irons in the fire, right now, but hope to have a video with some glass working going on sometime in the near future.

If you like my videos, please rate them.

The next videos up will be the Scorpion running on two 10 LPM machines (Integra 10 and Regalia) and the Scorpion running on an 8 LPM, 13 psi machine (M-20 dialed down to 8 LPM).
Old 2010-03-02, 5:58pm

Best glass free vidoe ever!!

Can you show it running on two 5lpm machines? I want to be absolutely sure this is the torch for me. And actually show some boro work? Please?

Old 2010-03-02, 11:37pm
traumaqueen

I hooked up my scorpion and I am using two 5 lmp concentrators and this torch runs hot!! The flame is very steady, both the pinpoint flame as well the large flame. So far I am loving this torch. I've made some boro beads ( the glass melts like butter) and I've done some small and larger soft glass beads and so far the results are really nice.

Old 2010-03-02, 11:42pm
traumaqueen

Meker I've owned a Barracuda wich I absolutely adored BUT it had some trouble with my concentrators.I had it running on three 5 lpm concentrators but I hardly used the outer fire because I just didn't have enough oxygen to make the torch run at it's best.

I've had a lynx wich is a nice torch but the flame was too sharp for me, too agressive. It worked fabulous for my boro beads, but I couldn't work soft glass properly with it, but that's my own experience. I believe torches are a very personal choise, and there are many people making awesome soft glass beads on a lynx, I just couldn't get along with it.

I also have two bobcats and I adore those babies to death. I sold one, and I will keep one because it's just such a nice torch. Very hot, lovely pinpoint flame, and the perfect torch for me to do demo's at stores with because it runs on just 1 concentrator.

Old 2010-03-03, 5:23pm

I thought that the scorpaion was made for consintrators but the first vid was on tanked and the next on 1 $1500 con.?
What does it take to run one of these??
My Knight Bullet runs great on 2 5ltr. for the center and 1 M15 on the outer.
if anyone has ran one with this setup next to a Bullet or lives near buy I would love to see what works best.
if anyone wants to bring a Scorp to run on my setup or would like me to bring my Bullet to see how it work on thier setup let me know.
I live by Seattle.
G.

Last edited by G.L.McBead; 2010-03-03 at 5:28pm.
Old 2010-03-03, 8:33pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.L.McBead View Post
I thought that the scorpaion was made for consintrators but the first vid was on tanked and the next on 1 $1500 con.?
The Scorpion was indeed designed to be super efficient so that it could run on concentrators.

The reason the first video shows the Scorpion on high pressure tanked oxygen is because someone in this thread (Trey, whom I like a lot - there's no problem between us) said that he could not get good flame control once he ran it on pressures higher than 15 psi. I made the video to show that it could.

The next video I made (and keep in mind that I am the one making these videos, not GTT) is to show how the Scorpion runs on my favorite concentrator, the Regalia, because people were asking me how it would do.

But, really, you can get similar performance from a pair of 5 LPM machines or a reconditioned 10 LPM machine (in fact, in my next video, I use a Regalia and a used 10 LPM machine). You will not have a full 10 LPM with two 5 LPM machines, and there will be a difference, but it will be similar. I can dial my Regalia or one of my other 10 LPM machines down to 9 LPM or 9.5 LPM to mimic two 5 LPM machines running together.

I am still making videos. I have some in the editing process right now. I have plans for making even more.

Speaking of videos that are planned... I have a Knight Bullet that I can film running the same machines.

Quote:
What does it take to run one of these??
It all depends on what you want to do with it. Two 5 LPM machines is great. If you have more oxygen to feed it, it will do even better.

Quote:
My Knight Bullet runs great on 2 5ltr. for the center and 1 M15 on the outer.
if anyone has ran one with this setup next to a Bullet or lives near buy I would love to see what works best.
if anyone wants to bring a Scorp to run on my setup or would like me to bring my Bullet to see how it work on thier setup let me know.
I live by Seattle.
G.
That would be cool. I believe that one of my video editing programs has a split screen feature. I can film whatever torch on whatever oxygen source and show them side-by-side, too.
Old 2010-03-03, 11:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
The Scorpion was indeed designed to be super efficient so that it could run on concentrators.

The reason the first video shows the Scorpion on high pressure tanked oxygen is because someone in this thread (Trey, whom I like a lot - there's no problem between us) said that he could not get good flame control once he ran it on pressures higher than 15 psi. I made the video to show that it could.

The next video I made (and keep in mind that I am the one making these videos, not GTT) is to show how the Scorpion runs on my favorite concentrator, the Regalia, because people were asking me how it would do.

But, really, you can get similar performance from a pair of 5 LPM machines or a reconditioned 10 LPM machine (in fact, in my next video, I use a Regalia and a used 10 LPM machine). You will not have a full 10 LPM with two 5 LPM machines, and there will be a difference, but it will be similar. I can dial my Regalia or one of my other 10 LPM machines down to 9 LPM or 9.5 LPM to mimic two 5 LPM machines running together.

I am still making videos. I have some in the editing process right now. I have plans for making even more.

Speaking of videos that are planned... I have a Knight Bullet that I can film running the same machines.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. Two 5 LPM machines is great. If you have more oxygen to feed it, it will do even better.

That would be cool. I believe that one of my video editing programs has a split screen feature. I can film whatever torch on whatever oxygen source and show them side-by-side, too.
Cool thats what i would like to see a Bullet running on the same setup as the Scorp.If it's better I would love to have one.
I find it very funny that you say you have no thing with GTT when You are marryed to GTT,ARE YOU kidding or what??
I tested a Lynx with 2 5Ltr cons. and the center of my Bullet was way faster.
If the Scorp is better than my Bullet I would love to have one.
You forgot to say the he wanted to sell the Scorp. the day after he got it.
Just looking for info,
G.