Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-04, 11:30am

Default What the hell is going on?

My mom is about to give up on trying to lampwork again...

Let me explain the huge menagerie of problems!!

Ok, so originally her meter on her propane regulator was not moving. We actually bought a new regulator.
Got it in, put it on... started up the oxy concentrator. Well it would not dial up past 1 liter.

I have one for myself for my medical reasons. So took it out to her room last night. Turned it on... worked fine.
However Mom didnt have her regulator up to the pressure she needed, it was only up to 3, and her flame was only about an inch and a half long, so couldn't melt glass. It was dark so she thought she would just do it today.
Now, my oxygen concentrator is giving off the loud alarm saying it needs to be serviced.

There should be propane in the tank... but when she went outside today... her regulator dial would not move today either!!!

This is so hard to do via email without someone actually coming over to help her. But there is no one that can come help her.

Let me also add this: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64119
We never could get the regulator to work, so like I said above... we bought a new one... but still problems all around with everything it seems.

Silver Mist Studios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

High Quality Handcrafted Jewelry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Silver Mist Studios; 2007-09-04 at 11:44am.
Old 2007-09-04, 11:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Mist Studios View Post
My mom is about to give up on trying to lampwork again...

Let me explain the huge menagerie of problems!!

Ok, so originally her meter on her propane regulator was not moving. We actually bought a new regulator.
Got it in, put it on... started up the oxy concentrator. Well it would not dial up past 1 liter.

I have one for myself for my medical reasons. So took it out to her room last night. Turned it on... worked fine.
However Mom didnt have her regulator up to the pressure she needed, it was only up to 3, and her flame was only about an inch and a half long, so couldn't melt glass. It was dark so she thought she would just do it today.
Now, my oxygen concentrator is giving off the loud alarm saying it needs to be serviced.

There should be propane in the tank... but when she went outside today... her regulator dial would not move today either!!!

This is so hard to do via email without someone actually coming over to help her. But there is no one that can come help her.
I'm sure lots of us would like to help but your message is kind of confusing. What does your propane regulator have to do with your concentrator? These are two separate systems.

If you have propane in your tank it should be heavy and slosh a bit when rocked back and forth. If you have your regulator installed properly you just turn the "T" handle until the dial reads the pressure you desire. If you have propane in the tank AND you have the valve on the top of the tank open, AND you turn the T handle clockwise the pressure on the guage does not increase THEN you got a problem.

If you have pressure on the propane guage but nothing at the torch then you have a problem with you hoze connection somewhere.

You should disconnect your hoses and take the tank and the regulator down to the local welding shop to have it looked at.

I don't use a concentrator but issues with that should be completely separate from propane issues. The two gasses should be completely independant until they exit the torch.

Give us some more info and we will try to help.
~R
Old 2007-09-04, 12:05pm

That is the problem, they are two separate identities and we can't figure out where the problem is or if it is both, or the hoses, or whatever.

All of her stuff has been un-used for over a year.
Initially she tried with her regulator it was not reading anything. We just went ahead and bought a new one.

Got it hooked up... then it was reading on the propane dial.

So then my mom was going to try to torch some... turned on her concentrator and it wouldn't put out the amount of oxygen needed. Which would only get up to 1 liter.

So we brought in my concentrator. My Dad tried it out and it was going up to 5liters where mom needs it.
So then last night... she tried to start lampworking again... turned on her concentrator... dialed in the gas and her gas was only up to 3, so she needed to dial it higher to get the right flame along with the concentrator... but it was dark so she decided she would just do it today.

So today... my oxygen concentrator is alarming saying it needs to be serviced... and her new propane regulator is not showing anything on the dial when turning the lever all the way up.

Does that make more sense per se? So we don't know if it's a problem with BOTH or what... ironically this is the 2nd regulator, and 2nd concentrator. Which leads me to believe it's something else causing the problems. Maybe the tank doesn't have the propane in it my Mom thought?? Maybe the hoses are screwed up?? She has the 50ft hoses which is way way too long, and nothing has been totally disconnected at the torch and they worked fine the last time she used everything.

????????????????????????

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2007-09-04, 2:22pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Oxy cons will briefly alarm when you first turn them on, but go off shortly after. You should have the oxygen knob on your torch on when you turn on the concentrator. Also, I was told to adjust the concentrator with no hoses attached first. I can't remember the setting, but I had to disconnect the hoses, turn it on, and adjust the setting. The folks at OxygenPlus helped me when I had a problem.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-09-04, 2:32pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Tell her to open the oxy dial on the torch all the way - ALL the way - and see if the oxycon still alarms. If it does, disconnect everything from the oxycon and turn it on - if it works fine then you have a blockage somewhere in your connections to the torch.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-09-04, 2:43pm

Thank you guys!! Ok so first off my Mom went out and tilted the propane side to side and it didnt feel that heavy, nor make a slosh sound... so maybe she didn't have as much propane as she thought as to why her old regulator and new regulator are not showing anything on the meter. Although it did dial in some gas last night, but not much... and then today nothing.

Boy what a bummer if we didnt need a new regulator and its something as simple as the tank!

For the concentrator... her old one, I am pretty sure is screwed up somehow... we turned it on here in my room and it hummed nicely, but wouldn't put out any more than barely 1 liter after leaving it on. The filter doesnt look dirty, do they normally look dirty? But we will clean it.

The "new" concentrator, the one I used for my medical needs... she is going to try disconnecting it and then turning it on. My mom did open her oxy line all the way on her torch and still wouldn't put out any oxygen. So we will disconnect it. But last night after attaching everything to it, it was working... but not now.

So we do have two separate issues it seems at the same time... sigh....

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2007-09-04, 3:02pm

Ok so on the 2nd concentrator, the one that is sounding the alarm and also not dialing in any lpm's... MINE the one that WAS working... she disconnected the hose from it and it is still sounding the alarm saying it needs maintenance.

WTF??

Two concentrators and neither working??? Does someone not want mom to do lampwork again?

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2007-09-04, 3:03pm
Missing presumed fed

Are you sure that you don't have the oxygen concentrator set to put out only one liter? You don't say what model you have, but on the concentrators I've had, it's a knob right under the tube with the ball in it. Make sure it's turned the whole way open. If it's turned down low, that's what's limiting your flow. (I know, if you're used to using one medically, you probably thought of this first, but I had to mention it.)

If you've tried adjusting that knob, have you checked to see if the knob is on the concentrator securely? Maybe you think you're adjusting the flow, but the knob has come loose and is spinning without engaging the piece underneath enough to change the setting.

Double-check to make sure that all of your connections are secure. Maybe you're not getting the hoses onto the concentrator securely enough, or maybe there's a leak at the torch (that wouldn't explain why your machine continues to act funny, though. Hmm.) Anyway, a little while ago I thought one of my concentrators was giving up the ghost, and it turned out to be a leak in the hose (bad connection with a quick-connect). I had to do the dabbing everything with leak detector solution trick to figure it out.

Good luck!
Old 2007-09-04, 3:06pm

My moms concentrator that wont go past 1 lpm is a DeVilbiss... not sure which model number. But we got it from Jim and Rose at Blue Moon Glassworks.

Mine is a umm... not forsure... its in mom's craft room so I cant see it off hand.
Neither are working even completely not attached to the torch.

Oh yeah we know about the knobs... As far as the basic use of these things, it isnt our first rodeo... but at the same time, dont know what to do with these issues. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2007-09-04, 5:14pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Mine did the same thing when I first got it so I'm pretty sure it's something with the setting. I had to disconnect the hose, turn off the concentrator, turn the knob all the way down. Then, turn on the concentrator & turn it slowly up until the ball reached 3.....I think. Then, I turned it off & hooked the hose back up & it worked fine.

Vivian

-

Old 2007-09-04, 7:46pm
Gentleman of Leisure

ON propane problem..... IF tank is empty it should weigh in about 18-20 pounds on bathroom scales (check weight on safety collar should be something like "18.5 tare") any weight more than that indicates propane in tank... Propane weighs about 4.25 pounds per gallon.. Full tank will weigh in about 35-38 pounds... Also you can check amount of propane in tank by heating a pan of hot water on stove then dribbling hot water over side of tank. By running you hand down side of tank you will find a "line" where temperature changes from warm to cool... That is level of LIQUID propane in tank. Also if regulator is not properly seated in OPD valve of tank, it will not open the "free flow" preventer valve built into tank valve... IF regulator is not fully seated there will no fuel flow, therefor no gauge reading...

If you can't reset alarm on concentrator by either external reset button or internal reset on internal circuit board then its a real unhappy concentrator. Also if you can not get a full 5lpm flow with hose disconnected, concentrator need service... IF one can make concentrator happy with hose disconnected then problem is with hose or torch or torch settings...

Try to solve one issue at a time, trying to do both at once will only confuse issue...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-09-04, 8:18pm

Thank you...
Actually the concentrator we had that was mine for medical emergencies, the one that would not stop alarming. Since it is leased through my insurance, we got them to replace it with another tonight. So mom will use that one until we can figure out whats wrong with hers.

Hers is working per se, but wont go above 1 liter, even with hose disconnected. So maybe we can see if an oxygen place can trouble shoot it.

For the regulator, my dad has done it numerous times for my Mom and it's always worked. I am not out there when he does it, but I know he screws it in as tight as it will go. I mean my question is, how often does this happen where its not "seated" correctly?

Something is telling me that she didnt have as much propane as she thought. When she picked it up, she said it didnt feel very heavy and heard no sloshing of liquid.
So we have a concentrator that will work... now we have to get the propane/regulator to work.

Also, a question... I read somewhere on her the filter on your concentrator needs to be cleaned once a month. I don't think Mom has ever cleaned hers. It looks and feels clean to the naked eye. Could something like cleaning the filter be what is causing her old concentrator to not go over 1 liter? or is it likely something more internal or something?

Thank you everyone for helping so much!! I would be lost without you guys here to help!

Silver Mist Studios

Old 2007-09-06, 12:27pm

WE ARE UP AND RUNNING!!! YAYYYYYYYYY!!

At the same time we feel so stupid... all the "regulator" problems... the tank was empty! My Mom felt for sure it had a lot in it... that should have been the first thing checked!!!

We are using the new concentrator that my medical place brought out. Everything is working beautifully now!! Now we just gotta see if we can get Mom's concentrator working, so I can bring mine back in the house incase of emergency. Which maybe only happens once within 1-2 yrs.

Silver Mist Studios