Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-07-02, 11:28am

Default Where to purchase Gold?

I have some gold nuggets that I dug up when prospecting. But when these are gone where is the best place to purchase more?

Also, is there a disadvantage to using pure (22-24K) gold?

Old 2013-07-02, 1:02pm

24k gold gives you more pinks and oranges, but with silver you can still get that nice green.
22k makes it easier to get the green hues, due to the impurities. that being said, i've got both 24k and 22k (the 22 i have is placer gold) and depending on what color i want, i'll use one or the other.

for buying more....you could go to one of those seedy "we buy and sell gold" places that pop up in every town, or you local jeweler....if you go the jeweler route, ask for casting grain.....it's small pellets and when smashed with a hammer, makes for easy cutting/nipping.

i've also used ebay, but be careful! i won an auction on what i thought was a 1 gram bar...for $25! yes i thought i caught the auction at the right time. turns out, it's 24k gold coated silver lol. the auction did clearly state it, so it's my bad. it does work neat though...gold and silver in the same nugget.

lots of glass people use the gold wire...easy to nip a small piece off and doesn't waste much, but then again it's more expensive then current market value. just make sure who you buy from is legit, and look for free shipping, most places sell at current market price.
Old 2013-07-02, 1:14pm

I would go to a reputable coin dealer.
Old 2013-07-02, 1:38pm

thing is, you don't want to get a coin that has a numistatistic value... that of course would cost over market value.
Old 2013-07-02, 2:57pm

Thanks for the input...

Anyone ever try reclaimed gold from electronics/computers?

Old 2013-07-03, 11:07am

its hard enough to get repeatable results with fuming. so i like to use 24 kart gold as the other guy said the 22 or lower kart gold is not pure so what i found is that when you start fuming with a chunk of 22 kart the silver other
impurities burn off faster than the gold so the first piece may be that green that come from a mix of silver and gold, but by the time your fuming the 5 th or 6 th thing it all gold and the results are different.
i prefer to use two fuming sticks one with 99.999 silver and one with 24 kart gold so i can control the different amount of silver and gold and the mixing of them as you fume. lite silver than heavy gold gets me that nice neon green.
but that your choice just know that what i have found to be the differences.

i just order it from mountain glass when i do an order. getting the thin wire you can cut off 1/16 inch or less with scissors and that will last a long time.
i know i may be able to get it cheaper at a good pawn shop but if you figure in the time and travel expense and having to haggle with the pawn shop owner and then never really know if you get a deal or not i like mountain glass more and more.

http://www.mountainglass.com/Gold-Wi...-22-Gauge.html

i do like the thin wire for its easer of getting a small amount. the guys i know that use a gold bar, coin, or those BB's from ABR are pounding them thin, to be able to cut off a small piece with scissors

And as far as reclaimed gold from electronics/computers alot of work for a small amount of questonable purity gold when if your ordering anything from mountain it $12-15 for an inch that will last a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin

Last edited by mightymike; 2013-07-03 at 11:17am.
Old 2013-07-03, 12:30pm

Thanks MM
Very informative, with what ISA said, I am much better informed. I am sure there are or will be others with the same questions.

I have 4 or so nuggets so I am good for now, just thinking to the future...

Old 2013-07-03, 6:03pm

Can you use old jewelry gold that is marked 24K or 22K?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-07-04, 12:58pm

Yes you can use old gold jewelry. sometimes they have weird coating or polish stuff but its on the surface and burns off as the gold melts. If you want to work with those small jump rings you could take a link or two out of the back of a necklace and still have a shorter necklace and some gold to fume with.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2013-07-05, 2:32pm

Nice..............Thanks Mike

Old 2013-07-05, 4:18pm
kinda torching....

i have a bunch of old computers, so im gunna cut out some gold wire off the cpu and try it out, couple free inches worth of gold i hope
Old 2013-07-05, 5:27pm
Bernhard Riegler

I bought a 1.5 g goldbar from the bank. It is pure 24K and thin enough to cut with nail clippers.It lasted for ever . . . still using it

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Last edited by Onekura; 2013-12-13 at 6:47pm.
Old 2013-07-06, 8:39am
kinda torching....

How much tho for the bar?
Old 2013-07-06, 9:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton117 View Post
How much tho for the bar?
Both banks and most pawn shops sell these for spot value. Gold closed just over $1220 an ounce yesterday. 28 grams per ounce so 1.5g is $65.
Old 2013-07-06, 9:59am

Gold was in the $1700 range not too long ago.
As the economy improves prices will fall so by small quantities whenever possible. Same with Silver...

Old 2013-07-06, 2:18pm
Alaska Boro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Both banks and most pawn shops sell these for spot value. Gold closed just over $1220 an ounce yesterday. 28 grams per ounce so 1.5g is $65.
Note: gold is sold by the troy ounce and NOT avoirdupois ounce (28.35 grams).
Old 2013-07-06, 2:54pm
Bernhard Riegler

It cost about 69 Euro 3 years ago and it fumed hundreds of pendants

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand