Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-31, 10:12am
as in the state

Actually, I think I do have the entire Acrobat, not just the reader. But I hardly use it for more than the reader....

I just started typing using Excel last night to get it put in the computer vs. having it in pages in a notebook...like I said, it's still a work in progress!!

I am trying to upload it now....never done this before, here goes nothing!!

-Amy
Attached Files
File Type: doc glassanneal.doc (62.5 KB, 851 views)
Old 2007-01-31, 10:20am
as in the state

Okay, that didn't do what I thought it would do. I uploaded it into a .pdf file, and found that some of the columns were close enough that it blended the numbers together (COE and annealing temp) so it looks like 104960 instead of COE 104 and temp of 960F. I will make a few changes, and then post an attached file as a .pdf.

Darleen, HONEY, you are forcing me to learn WAY too much about my computer WAY too early in the morning. Hee.
Old 2007-01-31, 10:29am
as in the state

Now let's give this a whirl....a .PDF and everything. Same info as the .DOC file, just in a different format.

Now, let's fill in the blanks!!

-Amy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LEpostPDF.pdf (11.1 KB, 1096 views)
Old 2007-02-01, 8:36am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Phantom View Post
Now let's give this a whirl....a .PDF and everything. Same info as the .DOC file, just in a different format.

Now, let's fill in the blanks!!

-Amy
I'll get you the info you need for the Lauscha blanks... It's beautiful what you have done - thank you all for all your hard work. Really really nicely done.

Carol Anne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-01, 9:10am

Really nice!
Thank You so much for all the hard work

Old 2007-02-01, 10:15am
da General

Amy,

Awesome job!!! Thank you for putting that together. Perhaps we can add CiM?
There is a thread on CiM and Kathy Seamands of Creation is Messy on Messy Color annealing points for the different CiM colors:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44022

Our testing shows different annealing temperatures for each color:
Cirrus 970-1040
Peacock Green 1050
Gelly’s Sty 950
Ginger 1010
Celadon 1030
Butter Pecan 1050
Bordello 940
Leaky Pen 980

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-02-01, 11:15am

Amy you do NOT need to have the full Adobe Acrobat to print to a pdf. Not with a Mac, anyway. Ever since OS X came out we have had the option to save a document as a PDF file ... from ANY program.

When you select PRINT look at the LEFT side of the window. You'll see a drop down menu that says "PDF". If you click that button you'll be given some options. Just choose the first one which is "SAVE PDF"

That's all there is to it.

Old 2007-02-01, 11:21am
as in the state

Darleen--Never saw that before...thanks! That's pretty cool!

I will add CIM (DOH! How could I have not thought of CIM!??!!) Anything else?

I'm so excited that it's gotten this far. Maybe when Tink gets back she can add her info to the pile...

-Amy
Old 2007-02-01, 11:21am

Oh and I have a handy little Widget called Unit Converter that allows me to quickly convert stuff so if you need to change Celsius to Fahrenheit, LMK. For example, the Reichenbach would be 914-968F.

Old 2007-02-01, 11:53am
as in the state

Hee. I don't have a Widget, but I have a chart in my James Kervin book that coverts. And somewhere I have that not-used-since-Calculus calculator (TI-85) that does conversions, too. Might be at my house in Colorado...dont' think I"ve brought it on assignment with me. Bah. More crap to carry!!

I chose to just use F because it was fewer keystrokes, smaller file, and, hey, I'm selfish. I don't use C. But if everyone wants, we can add the info in C as well. Like I said, it's just a baby and it can go anywhere anyone here would like to take it.

-Amy
Old 2007-02-01, 11:57am

This is amazing ... it will be a huge resource for us all when done. Big thanks to Amy!!!

Old 2007-02-01, 12:00pm
da General

Amy and Darleen -

You do not need any chart or gadget. Just use google - do it just like a search, example:

960 F to C

Google will show you:

960 degrees Fahrenheit = 515.555556 degrees Celsius

You can do that with most conversion - Imperial to Metric, etc.

The KEY work is "to," as in:

1.5 inches to centimeters

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-02-01, 12:05pm
as in the state

Awww, you guys....*blush* You're all awesome!

I got the idea from this thread and gathered info as I read forums here and then started going to websites. I think it's something we all need so we have the info in one place (that said, I think C should be included....) I will make revisions tonight at work if I get a chance to add CIM glass and Celsius to it.

Anything else you'd like to see in it?

-Amy
Old 2007-02-01, 1:24pm
Biscuit Lover

Double Helix, R4, Wiesenthal, CR from CRloo, Kinari, Schott, Momkas, Simax, Kimball
Old 2007-02-01, 1:34pm
Biscuit Lover

hey, lookee here- they're organizing glass by COE's in this thread:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31631
Old 2007-02-01, 3:55pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Amy and Darleen -

You do not need any chart or gadget. Just use google - do it just like a search, example:
Well, Widgets are FREE and they are resident on my computer and part of the system. To call them up I press F13 and there they are, any and all that I choose. I like the translator widget because I can convern about anything in a flash. all you do is select what you want to translate and enter the number you have in the correct field. voila. done.

And people wonder why I love my Mac so.

Old 2007-02-01, 3:59pm
as in the state

Hee. I ran across that thread earlier before the list here was posted...I've PMd FiredDesires about what we're doing here on this thread...in Tucson at the moment. So, I'm sure once Tucson is over there will be plenty more people chiming in.

Darlene, Macs rule!!

Last edited by CO_Phantom; 2007-02-01 at 4:03pm. Reason: to add Mac comment...
Old 2007-02-01, 10:29pm
da General

Darleen,

You are absolutely right - I am on a Mac too! I need to use the Widgets more often. Since I am usually online - it's just habit for me to google the conversion. Silly me. I love my Mac too!

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-02-02, 8:06am

LOL, Hayley, I'm too impatient (even with dsl) to wait for google. Esp since I discovered BitTorrent via Xtorrent and have been busily downloading past eps of Prison Break which I am now totally hooked on. That's how we got all of the current Boston Legal eps as well. Hubby's hooked on that one along with me.

Oh wait. Stop. Didn't mean to highjack the thread.

Amy, if I haven't said THANKS prior to this then pardon me. THANK you for putting this info together. I was just wishing I had all that info at my fingertips.

Old 2007-02-02, 8:20am

Amy-Thanks for your help with this. It's an invaluable resource.

Mary
Old 2007-02-02, 11:43am
as in the state

You guys are totally welcome!! As long as you're patient with me in getting the new info added...some days I'm just a total lazy butt. And now I'm in the middle of negotiating a new work contract and things are up in the air...staying in Ogden? Moving to Salt Lake? Will be working night shift and was originally told 2nd shift...originally thought 7 on/7 off, now will be M-F...it's nuts! And I'm tired! =) Okay, enough whining...

I heard back from R4 glass, so I have info for CiM and R4 to add. Still waiting to hear from DH about their glass info. And I'm searching for the sag temp for Effetre/Moretti (for use with CiM colors where it was suggested to garage at 1050...)

Darleen, soon the info will all be at your fingertips. Yay!

-Amy
Old 2007-02-02, 4:55pm
My opinion not needed

WOW! I just found this thread...great info!! Thanks for all the hard work

Old 2007-02-05, 12:49pm

Bump
Old 2007-02-07, 8:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I've been working on a chart. I keep trying to post it here, but the formatting gets all screwed up.

The chart has 24 types of glass so far. Information columns include:
  • Product Name
  • COE
  • Annealing Temp (or range)
  • Strain Point
  • Sag Temp
  • Working Temp
Is that enough info? Anything else?
Another important factor is the cooling rate in the first 100 degrees below annealing temp, and also the soaking time depending on where in the annealing range you choose to be. I once saw a chart in French in a presentation but I think it was a very generic one for lime soda glass. I'll try to investigate the details, I know there is a glass organization in France that has lots of technical information but I doubt they would have tested any of these new glasses.

Sea Rocks Tutorial
- Ebook
- Follow me on
- My
shop
Old 2007-02-08, 2:08pm
as in the state

Default Updated list

Okay, I've made some revisions to add the other glasses that you guys suggested, but I haven't found much info for many of them, so there are more blanks to fill in. I emailed Double Helix but haven't heard back from them about annealing temp of their glass.

Some of the end colums scrunched a little bit, but the info is still understandable.

Here we go:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LEnewglasschart.pdf (26.2 KB, 1238 views)
Old 2007-02-08, 2:16pm
trying to follow along

this is great thanks!!
Old 2007-02-08, 2:17pm
as in the state

Thanks for giving me that extra push to get off my duff and get the other glasses added. I realized when I read your post in another thread that I've been slacking about this....oops! Sorry about that guys! Come at me with numbers now! =)
Old 2007-02-08, 2:18pm
kindasorta Spring almost

and I still owe you some info... have not forgot... just went to sleep for a week during school holidays...

Carol Anne

Old 2007-02-08, 3:47pm
as in the state

Hee. That's alright. I'll get it stuck in there as soon as I get it. I'm pretty happy with it so far....will PM Tink and ask if she has any other info to add.

-Amy
Old 2007-02-09, 12:38am
Sadie's From *hotties*

OMG- thank you- ty ty- - the newbie finally gor the kiln and read the book to start annealing all the beads I's made- what a hoot to see some of the shapes they turned into as I just packed that baby with every type of mixed bead glass to get all of the kazillion the needed annealing done.

Question- when mixing your glass do you anneal to the lowest temp glass used-
also any annealling post that would help learning how to use the kiln and anneal- lost of stuck together beads.
thanks
sadie from hotties