Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-05-31, 6:56am
Marble Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Onekura ... thanks so much for the explanation. I've always wondered but was too chicken to ask.

Your fumes are drop dead gorgeous.
Yes, thank you for sharing and your fumes are deadly sweeeet.

-BEP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-31, 8:11am
Bernhard Riegler

never be too chicken to ask - we all had help and I gladly share my experience. But even when you know how its done it doesn't always work.
Big thank you for all for the compliments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2013-05-31, 3:42pm
Flamewoman

I can tell you Onekura why some are chicken to ask. I have asked and been rudely told that "it is a secret and don't bother me with your stupid questions, I make people sign a contract before I tell them anything". Not everyone is gracious here on LE.
BTW your work is always a pleasure to see. I know nothing about fuming, someday I would love to learn.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-05-31, 11:01pm
Bernhard Riegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary K View Post
I can tell you Onekura why some are chicken to ask. I have asked and been rudely told that "it is a secret and don't bother me with your stupid questions, I make people sign a contract before I tell them anything". Not everyone is gracious here on LE.
BTW your work is always a pleasure to see. I know nothing about fuming, someday I would love to learn.
I am sad to hear this. When I started I asked a lot of questions and usually got answers that helped me a lot. Beeing asked is kind of a compliment. But on the other side I heard stories of members sharing their technique and later finding their own designs copied by chinese and flooding the market. A good way to handle this is the private messaging. I usually answer all questions this way.

Bernhard Riegler - Bay of Islands - New Zealand

Old 2013-06-01, 6:41am
Flamewoman

Yes I think it is sad too Onekura, and when I asked, it was with private message. That is why I started the two threads on floral compression and Jellyfish. The chinese have already flooded the market, that happened a long time ago, I see those cheap pendants at trade shows, and they are nothing at all like what I can make.
When I joined LE I had already been melting glass for about 6 years. There was no such thing as those paid tuts then. Everyone shared information and it was very helpfull to me. Now all anyone thinks about is how they can make a buck, the generous gracious sharing seems to be almost over. I also agree that it is a compliment to be asked. I guess I am just a left over from the peace/love generation and I just don't get it when people are rude, and unwilling to share. If you post a bunch of pictures of your work, and then don't want to say how you did it, or what color you used, I just think your ego needs to go on a diet. Some of these kids who post here the pictures of their beginning work are going to be really good someday, and If I can help them, I'd like to. I got help when I was starting out, and I'd like to pass it on. I would also like to learn more myself.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-01, 11:17am

I agree with you Mary. I thought posting here was kind of a community thing. I have learned a lot from visiting this site, and I will gladly share any info I have with anyone who asks. Sharing benefits both the receiver and the donor.
This is one of my first pendants that I posted almost four years ago. When I posted it I got nothing but encouragement and advice as to how to make my pendants better (Thank God!). I've made a little progress since then. Thanks to everyone who shares.
Dave
Attached Images

Old 2013-06-01, 11:51am

Haha Dave you've come so far! In all honesty though - that pendant is totally adorable.

Old 2013-06-01, 1:31pm

i'd melt those loops in a bit better though. you want the seam to have no acute angles. think pimple, not chocolate chip.
Old 2013-06-01, 3:33pm
Bead semi-newbie

Default murrini fun

i have been playing with making murrini and implanting them in boro beads.

having trouble with encasement, long bubble strings. ugh
LOVE silver glass
Old 2013-06-01, 3:52pm
Flamewoman

Speaking of loops or as I call them bails, I have been thinking about starting a thread about that too. I see a lot of sad bails here, & I have a way of making them that I have developed that makes them much less likely to break off and they look much better than what I used to do. I used to make a bead and put that on. lol. looked like crap and you couldn't get any cord to go thru it. When I feel better I might just do it.
BTW those are lovely beads Sara.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-01, 4:05pm

Old 2013-06-01, 5:36pm

cool marbles, istandalone!!

Do I see Sparky in the first and second ones??

Old 2013-06-02, 4:02am

there's some disco sparkle and andromeda in them!
Old 2013-06-02, 5:44am

Quote:
Speaking of loops or as I call them bails, I have been thinking about starting a thread about that too. I see a lot of sad bails here, & I have a way of making them that I have developed that makes them much less likely to break off and they look much better than what I used to do. I used to make a bead and put that on. lol. looked like crap and you couldn't get any cord to go thru it. When I feel better I might just do it.
Go Mary Go! I could definitely add a lot to this proposed thread... took me ages to get the loops/bails I make now and I went through quite a few renditions with a lot of feedback from buyers (most not so good) - breaking off being the main issue.

Old 2013-06-02, 8:30am
Flamewoman

When I feel strong enough to get back to torch I will start the bail thread. I will need to photo what I do as I do it. Lol to the breaking off, and of course they didn't drop it right? It just "fell off" while they were looking at it. lol. I know all about that. I have some really funny stories from 10 years of Art/craft show selling. Should start a "funniest story from a customer" thread. I know I'm not the only one.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2013-06-02, 9:18am
kiwi ( new zealand)

Quote:
i give up making bails for now i just put a hole in them here a new hart
Attached Images

Geoffery Bunker Glass artist
Live Stream

octarockstudio= octopuss sit on a rock studio
Old 2013-06-02, 10:27am

I had a lot of trouble with encasement when I started and I still struggle with it at times. I find that keeping the base cool and the clear rod hot is the most important part in avoiding deformation. To avoid those stringy bubbles I suggest always allowing an "out" for the air and then deeply heating the area so that as the glass melts it closes the small gap and the air escapes out the side. It doesn't always work perfectly but in that scenario the worst outcome is a small round bubble in the glass where the air couldn't escape.

For doing those cylinder beads I would try to stripe the clear on the same axis as the mandrel, and then fully heat the bead starting at one end to drive out the trapped air.... of course the murrini will complicate that! Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraconklin View Post
i have been playing with making murrini and implanting them in boro beads.

having trouble with encasement, long bubble strings. ugh

Old 2013-06-04, 4:36pm

Yes encasing especially with boro is difficult and Max has some good points. I would just like to add concentrate the heat at one end of the encasement and super heat working the flame over from one end of the encasement to the other, working it like a tube of tooth paste, don't move the flame to the next area till the first area is super hot working the air out as you go. Hard to put it into words.