Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-05-22, 1:31pm

Default Best glue for boro sculptures? Hxtal vs Hardware store?

Hi,
been experimenting and researching since this fall
I want to glue flameworked horses to flat glass bases.

UV - I tried 2 different brands with a blacklight neon and it came appart everytime.

Hardware store epoxy: so far so good. But I worry it will eventually turn yellow.

What are you using ?

considering Hxtal. Is it worth it? much better than hardware store epoxy?
I hate the so long curing time of Hxtal so far.

Glue will be under the hooves, so not to appearant. Please share experiences and opinions... good or bad!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-22, 6:43pm

I like Triolyse Adhesive from Delphi glass. It bonds securely and dries clear. It's a 2 part epoxy but no UV light. It does expire after a year.
Old 2013-05-22, 9:00pm

is it very tough? creating safe bonds? my horses are often in balance (cantering) and can be up to 6" tall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-22, 11:33pm

Malem your horses are beautiful. I don't know how you feel about silicone, but I have used it to adhere a boro anemone to a glass base. It is about 3 years old now and still feels very secure. The base of my anemone is a nice flat one inch diameter though, and I see that your horses are very graceful with perfect little hooves. So I understand that they are very different peices.

I decided to try it after my husband made the point that it is only silicone that holds together these new large beautiful starfire glass aquariums so it has to bond strong, and stay forever clear.

I have also used clear 2 part epoxys to glue bails on pendants. It almost always holds up fine- but as you know, when it does fail it fails completely in a clean catastrophic break.

I have also mounted an angel on a peice of maple burl wood by leaving a half inch long 7mm rod attached to the underside of the angel's dress like a dowel. I drilled a 7mm hole in the wood and glued the glass dowel into the hole.

Let us know what you try! Again, your horses are lovely!
Old 2013-05-23, 3:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
I decided to try it after my husband made the point that it is only silicone that holds together these new large beautiful starfire glass aquariums so it has to bond strong, and stay forever clear.
Very True!
Old 2013-05-23, 9:27am

thank you so much about your lovely comment about my horses! and for sharing with me.

I used silicon at first, but the contact zone is to small and it tends to get undone, and shows a little to much as well.
But it is true that it is very strong for aquariums! I have some that are over 25 years old, bought them used back then.. and they never leaked!
my small contact zone is the challenge...

Old 2013-05-23, 10:37pm

Ah, you've already tried it!

Let me know if you try the Hxtal too. I bet its awesome stuff. Its just toooo pricey for me to try on my little glue-on silver bails! It might be perfect for your art glass sculpture though. Keep us posted!
Old 2013-05-24, 8:57pm

Try Goop. I use the one called "Household Goop". They have quite a few diff types but this one works well. It's clear and drys hard and strong. I use it on Boro and also agate slices. It's good stuff and inexpensive. Try it
Old 2013-05-25, 1:47pm

Hi,
I ordered some Hxtal and XTR-311 from Hisglassworks.com. They were quite helpful on the phone. Hxtal is thicker but I can allow XTR-311 to thicken before gluing. XTR sets faster wich is better for the hores in balance! and a 2 cat household lol! But for the pieces that are not as balance challenging I will try Hxtal.
I am selling my art and want absolute professional results. The sculptures are expansive and I certainly don,t want them to come appart during shipping or get yellow feet after one year of sun exposure... Hxtal: I really fear the loooooonng curing time, but I am sure that it will be tough enough and remain clear... so guess I can't have it all! Expensive but still cheaper than the Bohle neon light (322.00 + UV glue + plus crazy shipping fee + customs + taxes etc etc brooker and it never ends! to get it here in Canada). I will test when I get it and update this thread!

Figured if Hxtal is good enough for Museum... who am I to disagree lol!

Thank you soooo much everyone for your help in my glue quest.

to be continued...