Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-07-18, 3:15pm

Default Annealing?

If i blow a small bubble and completely close it up... like you might make for a christmas ornament.
Then i let it cool and then put it in my kiln to anneal.... is it going to explode in the kiln when it gets hot and the air inside cant excape?
or will it not get hot enough to blow itself to pieces?

i really need to know because i have a hundred ornaments that need annealing but i am afraid i cant put them in the kiln....
what to do???

Khan
Old 2013-07-18, 4:06pm
kinda torching....

I'd try one that doesn't mean much, and also, all the glass ornaments I've seen are open at the top.
Old 2013-07-18, 4:31pm
Borovangelist

I actually had a sealed one blow up in my kiln once, scared the poo out of me when it happened, but I was glad for that nice thick door.

If they're consistently thin enough, sealed ones usually don't get annealed.

Like suggested, though, try with your least favorite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2013-07-18, 7:32pm

Why not leave a tiny hole? It is always a good practice if its possible.
Old 2013-07-19, 9:15am

Well i do sometimes take the time to try to leave a hole but it is a pain in the tail to have to do that.
So sometimes i just dont. I do usually flame anneal them but still ive had some just sitting there for like a few days and i find them broken... and i can see it was from stress and the thing just cracked on its own. I have even hung them up and come in a few days later and find half of it on the table under where it is hanging.
I can use a pick and make a hole after they are made but damn... i spend all that effort to make them nice and symmetrical and perfect then i start pushing a hole in and of course that distorts things.
Its just a pain to try to make a hole and not ruin something cause there is really no good place to make it. I will see if i have a picture to post and show you what i mean.
Khan
Old 2013-07-19, 9:23am

tiny hole with tunsten pick is all that is needed.
Old 2013-07-19, 9:36am

Default Stuff like this

This is not my work but i didnt have a pic of mine but they are very similar to this one.
So, where is a good place to leave a hole??? the end?? it is hardly big enough on the end. But i have opened the ends of some.
I could make a small hole where the bubble meets the narrow part. Thats when i have heated just a point and made the hole with a hot pic. But it usually distorts around that spot and looks bad.
Its a real pain. Im so tired of finding the best ones broken from stress.
Name:  candy wrapper cobalt-white 10-31-11 jb-2118_1.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  7.9 KB
Old 2013-07-19, 9:40am

Istand,
The smallest tungston pic i have is 1/8"... well that is actually as big as the end of the thing. So yea i can make the hole on the end but it makes the end more like 5/16" rather than the nice looking 1/8". That is the problem with the tungston pic.
Khan
Old 2013-07-19, 10:32am
Queen Bee

Hmmm, this is very interesting. I just blew an ornament at the Corning Museum of Glass, and it was large and completely closed up at the top with a glob of clear and a loop. It had a very thick wall. They immediately popped it right into the kiln. They shipped them to us the next day, and they look great, and no hole whatsoever, but are incredibly heavy because of the thick wall. They were cranking out ornaments every 6 minutes with folks. I wonder what they do different to not have anything explode?

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-07-19, 11:57am

aahhhh Donna... now that tells me something
Maybe if i anneal in the kiln as soon as its finished before it cools... just stick it right in the kiln...
Maybe ... just maybe that would be what i need to do...and forget about doing them all at once ...later.
Thanks Donna
Khan
Old 2013-07-19, 8:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
Well i do sometimes take the time to try to leave a hole but it is a pain in the tail to have to do that.
So sometimes i just dont. I do usually flame anneal them but still ive had some just sitting there for like a few days and i find them broken... and i can see it was from stress and the thing just cracked on its own. I have even hung them up and come in a few days later and find half of it on the table under where it is hanging.
I can use a pick and make a hole after they are made but damn... i spend all that effort to make them nice and symmetrical and perfect then i start pushing a hole in and of course that distorts things.
Its just a pain to try to make a hole and not ruin something cause there is really no good place to make it. I will see if i have a picture to post and show you what i mean.
Khan
When i blow ornaments i leave a hole right at the top where i apply the hook.
Old 2013-07-20, 1:20pm

Larry... so how do you keep from closing the hole when you put on the hook?
I have tryed to do that but i always wonder if the hole got closed.

Khan
Old 2013-07-21, 3:58pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I think he means to pop a small hole nextto the hook. I could be wrong.