Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-10-11, 11:34pm

Default Camera suggestions for under $400 Please help

I need to get a new camera, and have limited money. What can I get for under $400? Preferably cheaper.
I have researched and googled until my eyes are sore.
I want to take good photos of my beads.
I am not fussed about bells and whistles like WiFi, video recording or long distance shots.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 2013-10-12, 4:44am
da General

Doug Baldwin just answered this exact question in post #6 of this thread... Very informative!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=252664

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2013-10-12, 5:41pm
Pixel Dude

The question about what camera to buy has been asked in two different posts, so I'll do my best to answer both and post in both places. Since a wide group of people will be reading this post, I'll keep my recommendations general to help as many as possible. I'm not sure if you want to go with a new or used camera so let's talk a little about both.

In my photo classes I recommend people go with either of the 2 major brands being sold today, Nikon and Canon for several reasons.

1. Nikon and Canon sell the most DSLR cameras in the market at present. I owned and used Nikon cameras in my pro photo business for 30 years. I still own my original Nikon F film camera from 1970. I presently use Canon EOS cameras. Both brands make excellent cameras that produce marvelous photos. The main reason I switched from Nikon to Canon about 4 years ago was that my wife and I were getting into shooting video and we wanted a DSLR camera that could shoot stills and video with the same camera. I felt at the time that Canon had the lead in terms of quality in the DSLR video area. In the last 4 years Nikon has made great strides in DSLR video as well. If I didn't presently own Canon, it would be a toss up for me to decide which brand to start with at the moment. In my classes over the last 2 years I would say that 50% of the DSLRs are Canon, 40% are Nikon and the last 10% are from other manufacturers.

2. That's not to say that the other camera manufacturers are slouches when it comes to making fine cameras. I've seen a couple of Sony DSLRs in classes and they seemed fine. But I look at several other factors when choosing a manufacturer. At some point, I may choose to sell my current camera and move up a model or two. So the resale market is important. You'll find far more buyers and sellers of used Nikon and Canon cameras than the other brands by far. I'm pretty sure Sony sells their sensors to other manufacturers for inclusion in their cameras, so a Canon or Nikon may well have a Sony sensor.

3. Lens choices. Both Nikon and Canon make the largest range of lenses for their cameras. There are 2nd party manufacturers such as Sigma that are making fantastic lenses for N & C that are equal or even better in some cases when compared to the same focal lengths the manufactures are putting out. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and use Sigma lenses. When you come to my photo classes, I make my Canon 60mm macro lens available for anyone to try out during class. Several students have also made their lenses available for others to try out as well. If you had a Sony, Fuji or Pentax camera, you're much less likely to find someone in class who has a lens you can try. Since more people own N & C, if you need help or have a question, you're much more likely to find someone who has the answer or can quickly guide you on resolving your issue with a N or C camera. I speak fluent Canon, almost fluent Nikon, but have to muddle through with other brands to figure out stuff.

4. If you own N or C and you're at a party or the kids soccer game, there's a chance a friend might have the super zoom or wide angle lens you've been lusting after and they may just loan it to you for a few minutes to get the great shot of the day. Probably wouldn't happen if you own a non-Nikon or non-Canon camera considering those other brands are much less common out there on the street.

5.Used Cameras. If you're acquainted with Ebay, there are tons of used cameras for sale. If you're new to eBay, several things to look out for. Buy items valued over $50 from sellers with a feedback number over 100 and a 99% or higher feedback. Look for good quality photos of the actual items being auctioned and a good description of the item(s) with full disclosure of any and all flaws. Ask if the lens(es) have any dust, dirt, fungus or scratches on any of the lens elements inside or outside the lens. If the description seems vague or too short, ask detailed questions about the camera such as "Is there anything wrong with the camera?" and "Do all the functions work properly on the camera?" Ebay has a Buyer Protection Policy so you're covered if the item arrives "Not As Described." I bought my Canon 60mm Macro lens used on Ebay. If I was looking to save some money, I would buy a used Canon T2i (I own several) without the zoom lens and get the 60mm macro instead. Probably two separate deals but a great combo. Good basic camera and excellent close-up lens with fantastic resolving power for great detail. I would not go to an earlier model than the T2i because the earlier ones didn't have such good built-in video and well thought menus and controls.

6. Video. You may be thinking, "I don't want or need a DSLR with video." Well, there may come a time when you've become good enough at your art or craft and you either want to or someone has asked you to do a video of a technique you're really good at. If you bought a DSLR with built-in video, you're but a few steps away from being able to video the process. That's not to say you won't have to deal with story, lighting, sound and editing, but those are doable as well.

7. Stay away from early DSLR cameras. In the last 5 years N & C have made great strides in all areas of their DSLRs, from higher quality sensors, to better preview screens, to well thought our controls and menus. Earlier this year a student brought a 10 year old, 6 Mp DSLR to class. The preview screen was the size of a postage stamp and was so dark, we couldn't tell if the pictures were in focus or properly exposed. We had to import a photo into my laptop to see the exposure and focus. You should be buying a camera, used or new, with at least a 12 Mp sensor.

8. New Specific Cameras:

Canon: Using the search terms "Canon DSLR" in Amazon, the first 2 search results that come back are the Canon T3i (18Mp) with 18-55mm zoom for $475. This is the updated model of the Canon I own, the T2i (18Mp). The next item on the list is the T3 (12Mp) with 18-55mm zoom for $325. Either one would be a great camera.

Nikon: The first 3 cameras with zoom lenses on the Amazon list using the search terms "Nikon DSLR" are the D3200, D3100 and D5100, ranging in price from $546 down to $370 respectively. All 3 would work fine.

Sony: If you've got $400 to spend and want a new Sony camera, a quick search of Amazon using the search terms "Sony DSLR" brings up 5 models. The Sony a3000 DSLR (20 Mp) comes in at $398. The main part of the listing doesn't say it includes a lens, but the Q&A section says it does include a 18-55 zoom lens. I don't know much beyond that or have actual working knowledge of Sony.

Hope that helps.
Old 2013-10-14, 10:49pm

Thank you so much. I wish I lived there and could get the lights, take the class and meet such helpful folks in person!
I have found a Nikon D3100 with the lens (55?) for under $300 here in Oz. Sounds kinda too good to be true? It is not used. Brand new. I had decided on a p and s camera, but at that price it is almost the same cost for a DSLR.
Hopefully I can get that. I NEED it for beads, and also for photos of my grandies!
Thanks so much!
Old 2013-10-16, 9:37pm
Pixel Dude

The Nikon D3100 with lens for $300 sounds good. You mentioned a 55mm. Is that a Micro Nikkor 55mm lens? Nikon calls their macro lenses a Micro.

I have sold and shipped several sets of lightboxes to Australia and the UK. You'll need a 220V to 120V step down voltage converter. The Australia and UK artists who have bought lights so far have sourced their own converters. I now have a sample converter on hand that should do the job. It's rated at 85 watts. A pair of the lightboxes consumes a total of 56 watts, so the converter should handle them without a problem. I will order more to have them in stock. Here's a photo of the one I'm working on to make available.

Old 2013-11-10, 2:16pm

thanks Doug. I got a Nikon D3100 after all. For just under 300 including shipping.
It has a Nikkor 18-55mm lens. I am learning how to use it. It is wonderful!