LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-11-28, 4:45pm

Default Transparent red?

Does anybody make a soft transparent red glass that is non-striking? I never seem to be able to get the entire bead to strike so I'm giving up on trans. red until I find one I don't have to strike!
Old 2006-11-29, 10:42pm
Goddess

I don't use trans red very often, but I think the Lauscha red doesn't need striking. Lauscha has several trans reds now, but I am talking about the first one they offered, their regular trans red. I have a few samples of their newer reds and they also do pretty well without having to do much striking if any.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-29, 10:44pm
I've got goodies!

Lauscha, Reichenbach, Kugler

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-11-30, 12:55am

Yup, Lauscha transparent red is my favorite trans. red. Occ it can unstrike to a bit of a yellow, but I really rarely had it happen. It is a lovely red, espeically for the holidays. However, I rarely have problems with Effetre striking red either, just let it cool, then kiss with the flame. These are Lauscha and gold leaf.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:

Last edited by Lara; 2006-11-30 at 12:57am.
Old 2006-11-30, 4:09am

Thanks for the recommendations-my husband will be thrilled that I need to branch out into other types of glass, LOL!

Lara, your beads are fabulous. For some reason they make me think of midnight Mass at Christmas.
Old 2006-11-30, 6:57am
Established Thinker I Am

Have you tried the Vetrofond red? Lately my batches of effetre transparent red always stayed sort of milky with a string of color throughout, so I decided to try the Vetrofond. It is like I remember the Effetre being years ago. You do still have to strike it, but the parts that aren't struck don't seem to be yellow....more just white. You might want to give it a try.

Here is an example...nothing too fancy, but it works better for me.

l
l
l
Old 2006-11-30, 7:22am
Ad astra per aspera

For a darker red, try CIM's Bordello red. Yes, it's a striker, but it's very easy to bring back to color and it's a stunning garnet red.

Old 2006-11-30, 9:52am
Eight Miles Wide

There is an old Moretti transparent red that doesn't need striking that Moretti & More sells on Ebay. I already am hording 1 1/2 lbs that I bought this summer. I don't know if they have any left.

Old 2006-11-30, 12:19pm

Karen could you please talk about striking the bordello red. I have been able to reduce it to a greyish luster, burn all color out of it, basically everything except get a nice rich red out of it.
Thanks
Jen
Old 2006-11-30, 8:07pm

OK-everybody's suggestions are written down and I'm going shopping this weekend. Maybe if I wake up at 4AM (again) tomorrow I'll start early!

Thanks guys-you all rock!
Old 2006-12-01, 9:12am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenfire View Post
Karen could you please talk about striking the bordello red. I have been able to reduce it to a greyish luster, burn all color out of it, basically everything except get a nice rich red out of it.
Thanks
Jen
First off, all of the beads I've made so far have had a base of clear, just cuz I was concerned about the pure color being way too dense. (Good guess, I made ONE spacer and it was so dark not much light could get through it.) So, start with a smaller base of clear (I use Moretti since it's just the guts of the bead), then wrap it with a full layer of Bordello then ANOTHER layer just to get into the seams (habit from using veiled cane so much, I think). Heat the bead to make everything all melty and do your shaping. Don't worry about the color, just make your bead the way you want it. (Same with pressed beads, get everything done first.) When you're done, take the bead out of the flame for a minute (get all the heat-color out of the bead), then flash it back into the flame. The color comes up pretty fast. As soon as you see everything turning to red, put it in the kiln. It really doesn't need to be overdone at all. After years of flashing and re-flashing Moretti red, this stuff is a breeze!

Old 2006-12-01, 9:58am
Oooooh Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post
Yup, Lauscha transparent red is my favorite trans. red. Occ it can unstrike to a bit of a yellow, but I really rarely had it happen. It is a lovely red, espeically for the holidays. However, I rarely have problems with Effetre striking red either, just let it cool, then kiss with the flame. These are Lauscha and gold leaf.
Wow, beautiful red! so, where can I buy this Lauscha Red?

Old 2006-12-01, 1:17pm

Nancy, Glassdaddy in NJ usually has it. They're nearby you, and the service is great. They're at www.glassdaddy.com.

Renee
Blue Moon Glass Studio
GTT Phantom & 2-Integra 10's

Old 2006-12-01, 9:01pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have not used them, but would recommend glassdaddy as well. I bought mine years and years ago at a local supplier that no longers carries it.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-12-02, 10:08pm
Corgi Cult Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon View Post
Does anybody make a soft transparent red glass that is non-striking? I never seem to be able to get the entire bead to strike so I'm giving up on trans. red until I find one I don't have to strike!
Karen, I have the best luck striking if I hold the bead under the table (where it is dark) till all the glow is gone, then strike. It's so much easier to see the glow in the dark.

Kathy

Old 2006-12-03, 3:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Karen, I have the best luck striking if I hold the bead under the table (where it is dark) till all the glow is gone, then strike. It's so much easier to see the glow in the dark.

Kathy
I think maybe I keep it in the flame too long the second time. Do you just put it back in the flame long enough for one turn or should it be longer?
Old 2006-12-03, 10:03pm
Corgi Cult Member

[quote=amazon;880588]I think maybe I keep it in the flame too long the second time. Do you just put it back in the flame long enough for one turn or should it be longer?[/QUOTE

I just watch for the color to develope. If it doesn't come (or isn't even), cool the bead again and restrike. It shouldn't take very long to strike the color. If the color isn't coming, the bead probably was too hot. Also, you may need to strike a little farther out in the flame.The Lausha Red I've been working with this week looks very dark in the flame when it is fully struck. You may want to practice on some spacers that can be cooled right away to get an idea of the results before you invest the time in a larger bead.

Hope it works!
Kathy