Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-17, 11:15am
Triumphantly Knit!

Default devardi rod warmers do yours crack?

ETA: I tried to change the typo is the titls, it shows up in the subtitle, but not the original.

Has anyone else had issues with the devardi rod warmers cracking inside, the ceramic coating cracking?

I'm on my 3rd. Daneil and Natasha have been awesome customer service wise so far, but I give up.

I do have strange effects on tvs and lights at times after doing energy work or deep meditation. Things usually turn on or off but don't break. I don't usually do that while torching but I do channel healing energy into my beads. I'm wondering, is the energy too much or are these things just defective.

How can the regular curling iron warmers work but not these that are supposed to be for lampworking?

namaste
Rowyn

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-09-17 at 12:20pm. Reason: typo was a bad one
Old 2011-09-17, 11:49am
And silence is golden

I think the best thing for you to do is to send the unit back to the Mail Buggy store, and get it refunded. THEN invest in one of the curling rod warmers. There... problem solved. If that one starts to crack on you, then you will know that you must not meditate, nor apply any energy work in, or around this device.
Old 2011-09-17, 12:19pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Thanks Shrimp, that's the plan!

My ever inquiring mind is curious, though, they've all cracked in the same places in the same order of cracking, not all at once.

If my meditation can crack the ceramic walls of a rod warmer,without intent, perhaps I should focus more on cracking the walls that divide us. Maybe I need to move to Washington. DC, that is.

angel blessings

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Old 2011-09-17, 1:40pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

Are you using one of the warmers that they "modified" so it can also double as an "annealer"? I'm wondering if they get too hot now, so they end up cracking the ceramic. I remember seeing more than a few posts saying that other people's have cracked too.
Old 2011-09-17, 1:47pm
Triumphantly Knit!

no, it's their rod warmer and it seems to be me. they did have trouble with the last batch but we're thinking the post office may have played football with this one. the last 2 came ups so I asked for this one to come usps. but it wasn't padded as well as it could have been.

She's offered me another one, I just feel bad that they keep sending me a new one and the same thing happens. I don't want to be a burden to them so I'm thinking of just taking the refund.

This one didn't crack til like the second week, the others cracked right away. it may just be that the trip all the way here, and I know both ups and the po drop stuff, hey it's that callous ny/nj tude, it may just be that the trip here is too much.

I also don't want to discourage anyone from buying one,, they do work for other people.

I am noticing my typos are getting worse. I give up! until I can move my puter to where I can comfortably type, whatever. and I should slow down.

namaste
Rowyn

Old 2011-09-17, 1:51pm
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
I think the best thing for you to do is to send the unit back to the Mail Buggy store, and get it refunded. THEN invest in one of the curling rod warmers.
This.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-09-17, 2:26pm

Mine has been fine. I also purchased the little plate and rod rack that goes inside...before that I had glass sticking to the inside of the warmer.

All my children have paws
Proud Member of "YOU PEOPLE" 9.13.11
Old 2011-09-17, 3:43pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Rowyn if you send it back and get a refund and want to try a cheaper warmer you might try a coffee warmer. They cost about $10, I've been using mine since I started and it's great for all but the shockiest glass. That said, I've never used Devardi glass so I don't know how that would do with a coffee warmer. Just a thought.

Old 2011-09-17, 7:09pm
And silence is golden

Rowyn, your next question should be directed towards those who use an actual curling iron warmer. Ask if they have encountered any cracking issues with the ceramic coating. You aren't the only one who has encountered this problem with the 'glass rod warmers'. When you request your refund, you might want to suggest that they try to find a wholesale source for the curling iron warmer, so that they can switch distributors for this particular item. The Mailbuggy store might want to look into getting a refund on their remaining stock, and restock with a better quality warmer.

I preheat my rods on a mini crock pot warmer or candle wax melter, I even set them in a glass of hot water. Any of these methods will work with most Devardi glass rods, except for the really shocky ones. Same goes for a lot of the Vetrofond ODDs, certain Effetre colors and a lot of the CiM glass. Czech glass has some pretty persnickity rods too.
Old 2011-09-17, 9:59pm

When you preheat your rods in a mini crockpot or a coffee warmer, how do you do it? Just stick them in to warm, use water?
Old 2011-09-17, 10:22pm
Live and Let Live

Rowyn, I've had 2 warmers crack on me, and have a 3rd now from Natasha that I need to plug in and try. So it's not your energy being naughty.

Old 2011-09-17, 11:19pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

I just put my rods in the kiln to heat them up, half sticking out, like a mandrel. If they have kiln fiber on them when I take them out, I just wipe them quickly against a cotton shop rag I have sitting out for that purpose. Sometimes the cloth singes a little, but unless you hold the rod there, it won't burn.

Last edited by Damselfly; 2011-09-17 at 11:21pm.
Old 2011-09-18, 12:05am
Entropy increasing....

Just put them on the top of your kiln.

As far as I have seen Devardi glass seems to be one big pain in the ass.
Old 2011-09-18, 3:50am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post

Along with those Vetrofond, CiM, Effetre and Czech persnickity colors. So it isn't just Devardi that is a pain in the ass. I read the posts regarding 'shocky' glass that is manufactured by other glass producers. There are quite a number of complaints that I can relate to as far as non-Devardi glass.

If you have a kiln, and are planning on making a fair amount of beads in your torch session, then this would be the best suggestion. But when I make a few beads in a session, I just put the rods in a tin can that sits on the warming base of the mini crock pot. Or even the glass of water will keep the rods nice and toasty when placed on the warming base. Just be sure to wipe them dry before introducing into the flame. I am not sure if tap water contains enough minerals or other add-ins that may result in scumming of the surface of your finished bead. I'll have to put that to the test.
Old 2011-09-18, 4:51am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post

There are loads of Devardi colors that melt like a dream with no shockiness whatsoever. Part of the issue is that many of the pulls are on the larger size, with rods up to 10 - 12 mm in some cases, which can need preheating with any of the 104 lines of glass.

Old 2011-09-18, 7:52am
sunscreen me baby

I have a curling iron heater and love it. My kiln requires I get up to get open it and I have had rods fall out while putting a bead inside. (chili pepper) My bench isn't really big enough to put my kiln on it too making the curling iron heater a great solution. I've been using mine for over 2 years and it hasn't cracked.

~

Old 2011-09-18, 7:59am
I'm a lilac!

I've gone through a couple of curling iron heaters... I haven't had them crack, but when you torch long hours day in and day out, the electrical connections tend to burn up. It's an easy fix, but I haven't gotten around to doing it this last time so now I'm using a hotplate.

Old 2011-09-18, 7:59am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGalore View Post
There are loads of Devardi colors that melt like a dream with no shockiness whatsoever. Part of the issue is that many of the pulls are on the larger size, with rods up to 10 - 12 mm in some cases, which can need preheating with any of the 104 lines of glass.
Exactly. There are even some large diameter Devardi rods that need very little preheating.
Old 2011-09-18, 8:34am
Crazy Snake Lady

I've never had a problem with CIM glass being shocky. Which colors cause problems so I can avoid them?
Old 2011-09-18, 9:18am

I use a cheapo black hotplate. It even has a thermstat.
Old 2011-09-18, 9:29am
Triumphantly Knit!

Thanks everyone. I was using the tray warmer I use for pmc and a candle warmer.
The warming tray took up alot of room, plus it's "vintage" and that's my excuse for wanting a rod warmer.
I will try one from Sally's beauty supply.
Natasha gave me my choice of another one or a full refund. They have shipped me 2 replacements already. It did take this one a bit longer to crack than the others.
I also have their metal plates and I like that I can heat my murrini and big frit on top. I'd use 2 if it wouldn't blow the fuse.
Like Suzy, my kiln requires standing up and walking over to.
It would be great to be able to build a bench with a built in warmer.
namaste
Rowyn

Last edited by 2tumblingdragonz; 2011-09-20 at 12:42pm.
Old 2011-09-18, 9:48pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tumblingdragonz View Post
It would be great to be able to build a bench with a built in warmer.
namaste
Rowyn
That sounds like a luxury item!! But I like it!!
Old 2011-09-18, 11:27pm
Duchess of Dichro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
I've never had a problem with CIM glass being shocky. Which colors cause problems so I can avoid them?
I would like to know this too.

Old 2011-09-19, 12:55am
Entropy increasing....

I've had some rods of CIM that were shocky, but not on a regular basis. The Vetrofond odd colors that came out 3 years ago were shocky, but they are all pretty much some form of orange, so I didn't really use them much. The Buttercrunch is a nice color,but it was hell and that Anice color was always a bitch.

I can't really think of other colors that are always shocky. I don't have problems and haven't had to pre-warm any glass in a couple of years.
Old 2011-09-19, 3:30am
Live and Let Live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dana View Post
I would like to know this too.
I have a batch of a Kryptonite Unique that goes boom and also Ghee, that come to mind immediately. Just my experience though, others may vary.

Old 2011-09-19, 7:31am
Now part of the Dark Side

I've been considering one of these to preheat 12mm - 17mm clear rod. 17mm rod goes boom pretty easily and needs to be annealed after use or you loose a good sized chunk of the end when you reheat it.
Old 2011-09-19, 4:48pm
And silence is golden

For those of you who ask which rods to avoid, or just want to know which rods are giving some folks some grief, try typing in the word 'shocky' in a search using the 'posts' option. You will come up with numerous threads where there is mention of one glass or another that has a reputation of being a PITA, shocky or frit on a stick.
Old 2011-09-19, 5:08pm
Entropy increasing....

The buttercrunch and the anice (which is pronounced a-nee-chay) would just pop off about half way up the rod. I can't think of when I ever used the anice again in 7 years.
Old 2011-09-19, 5:44pm
Duchess of Dichro

Thanks Kevan! I knew about anise already Two shocky colors out of all the CIM colors works for me. Guess that is why CIM doesn't promote the use of a rod warmer.

Old 2011-09-19, 6:43pm

I never had any problems with the ceramic cracking on mine and I have had it for quite some time. (that doesn't negate what's happening with yours of course!)

As far as shockiness and brand names, I now pre warm all of my rods and rarely have any problems with any brand of glass including Devardi.