LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-01-17, 6:01am

Default Tip to stop Bead Release powder ruining beads??

I searched the threads, but didn't find any other unfortunate souls with this issue. When I use my Zoozii straight lentil spree, regardless of how gentle I am, the bead release (I use BoM) cracks and gets into the mold. Is there a technique to avoid this? I keep wiping the brass mold down after each pressing with a moist sponge and then a dry cloth to clear out the powder, but this happens 80% of the time. Do you have any suggestions?

-Tracy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-01-17, 6:30am
In search of her path....

mix in some fusion bead release with bom. Fusion really has some sticking power I find mixing fusion with my choice release cuts down on flaking and cracking big time.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-01-17, 6:30am
burnin' glass just becuz

i just keep a small paint brush nearby and brush out the mold after each press.

ETA: oh and don't press so hard - that's partly what will crack the release. took me a bit to figure that out

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-01-17, 9:03am
Master Procrastinator

I have a can of compressed air nearby when I torch. 1 little spray blasts out the offending release.

Old 2009-01-17, 10:56am
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
I have a can of compressed air nearby when I torch. 1 little spray blasts out the offending release.
Please don't be offended, but I don't think that's the safest idea. There's stuff in bead release that you don't want to inhale. Those blasts of air kick all that mess around and make it very possible for you to breathe it in. Please stay safe. I think the paintbrush idea is much safer, especially if you're using very gentle flicks.

I think the BOM is the culprit, that stuff is awful flaky. I vote for throwing in some Fusion. I use a blend of FosterFire and Fusion, and love it.

Old 2009-01-17, 11:42am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I use fusion, and while I won't say I don't have some cracking issues
using presses, it sticks better than any other release I've used.

As for the air canisters to clean out the molds - I second the motion
that it's a bad idea. 1) you don't want that crap going airborne
and 2) the stuff in most of those cans can be flammable. Not the
best thing to be spraying around in front of an open flame.

I just have a soft brush I use to clean the mold out.
An old makeup brush works just fine.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2009-01-17, 1:05pm
Borovangelist

what if you use the air under your vent? I have an air compressor that I'd be more than willing to use to blow the powder out. Which reminds me, I still have a mold I've gotta get glow powder out of....

|
|
Old 2009-01-17, 2:06pm

I use BOM and love it. Yes, it sometimes flakes w/my presses (and I use them alot) but just be sure to get any flakes off your bead before putting it back in the flame. I use a pick, tweezers, whatever's handy. Also, even with cracked release, I've still pressed them several times - just be careful with it. And - be sure your mandrel is lined up with the holes for it in the press.

Good luck
Old 2009-01-17, 2:34pm

Thanks to all of you for helping out. The makeup/paint brush is a great idea! My next bead release will be the Fusion. Also I am probably pushing down on the press too hard/quickly, causing so much of the bead release to crack. Then again, the mandrel with the release doesn't even fit in the groove of the press. It's a a thin mandrel. I must be using too much release? As a newbie, I was concerned the glass would cool too quickly, thereby making the press useless! Again, thanks!
-Tracy

Old 2009-01-17, 2:54pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead_your_habit View Post
Thanks to all of you for helping out. The makeup/paint brush is a great idea! My next bead release will be the Fusion. Also I am probably pushing down on the press too hard/quickly, causing so much of the bead release to crack. Then again, the mandrel with the release doesn't even fit in the groove of the press. It's a a thin mandrel. I must be using too much release? As a newbie, I was concerned the glass would cool too quickly, thereby making the press useless! Again, thanks!
-Tracy
I would suggest you not worry about it.
It's just the nature of the process of using a press mold.

Even the best applied bead release will crack and flake
off. Just make sure you give a quick swipe with the
brush before you press again.

Any bead release that sticks to the bead can be gently picked off with a
pair of tweezers or brushed off the bead with a butter knife (or something long those lines).

Old 2009-01-18, 1:14am

I keep a wet paper towel nearby and have found I can wipe off little bits of release from the bead without any drama.
Old 2009-01-18, 8:05am

Make yourself a bead of polymer clay, or playdoh, or whatever on a plain mandrel to see what size glass you REALLY need to use the press--then round it back up & set it on your table to use as a visual guide for "how much glass" to use for that press--if your mandrel isn't fitting in the press, either you're using too large a mandrel (possible) or you're pressing too much glass (likely) or both
~luna
been there, done that

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-18, 9:37am

Switch to Fusion Bead release.

Old 2009-01-18, 10:27am
Ad astra per aspera

One other thing...making sure your mandrel is properly aligned in the press will help, too. I notice that if I'm just a bit crooked, that's when I really give myself trouble. It's such a quick process, it's easy to rush, but do take the time to LOOK and that can help.

Old 2009-01-18, 11:48am

BRILLIANT! I am going to do this. Thanks!

Old 2009-01-18, 11:49am

you're so right...rushing is a bad habit of mine. Thank you for your help. This forum is so fantastic.

Old 2009-01-18, 12:19pm
Life is change. Love it

If you are using 1/16 mandrels your mandrel should easily fit in the groove. Try applying a much thinner coating of bead release. If you aren't using 1/16 mandrels that would be a good idea

Old 2009-01-18, 1:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Another thought here.
As we go merrily along, our mandrels get old and out
of shape. If your mandrel is even the slightest bit bent,
then it won't line up properly in the press.

Take a good look at all your mandrels after you
clean them, and see if any can be tweaked back
into shape so it rolls smoothly, or maybe be replaced with a new one.

Old 2009-01-18, 3:46pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bousky View Post
Switch to Fusion Bead release.
Oh, yes, I my Fusion!

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-01-19, 5:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamoonshadow View Post
Make yourself a bead of polymer clay, or playdoh, or whatever on a plain mandrel to see what size glass you REALLY need to use the press--then round it back up & set it on your table to use as a visual guide for "how much glass" to use for that press--if your mandrel isn't fitting in the press, either you're using too large a mandrel (possible) or you're pressing too much glass (likely) or both
~luna
been there, done that
That's a really great idea!

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-01-19, 10:42pm
The Brighter the Better!

I second using good mandrels...Bent ones make life so much harder!!! Cheap mandrels can be made using a small bolt cutter to cut the steel, a jig that helps you to cut consistent lengths for speed and a dremel with a disc cutter bit or sandpaper to grind/round the ends. You can get the stainless steel from a welding shop or look online. 316 is best but you can use 308. Hope this helps,

Cheers

Jenny

Old 2009-01-20, 8:48am

Thank you for your suggestion!

Old 2009-01-20, 9:04am
old fart

burn a flame with no oxygen so it is real sooty, and use the flame to preheat the mold a bit, but mainly to cover the entire hot area of the mold with a layer of black carbon. then use the mold and the black carbon will be your release. then the carbon will burn off when placed back into a flame.

Old 2009-01-27, 7:27pm

I've been using your suggestions -very helpful having that brush nearby! Thank you.

Old 2009-01-27, 7:28pm

Thx Mark. I use a hothead so I don't have much oxygen control, but thanks for offering to help!

Old 2009-01-27, 7:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
That's a really great idea!
Your clay idea has worked like a charm for reducing flaking of the bead release with my lentil press. Thx for the great idea. I did it just today.

Old 2017-12-16, 11:32pm

10 years old, and this thread gave me great ideas! I miss coming here, fb has kinda taken over unfortunately.
Thanks all!
Old 2017-12-17, 12:06am
Naysayer

Ha I was excited to hear BOM was available still, the bump got me
Old 2017-12-17, 7:08pm

And LE is ever so much easier to use and find useful information!

Georgia