Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-15, 7:45pm

Default Bullseye and bubbles

I'm new to lampworking and this site has been so helpful. This is my first posting.

I've been using moretti only until I purchased bullseye recently. One color specifically (a steel blue - the rods were not labeled) had tiny bubbles throughout it, I mean all thru it and very very tiny, and the beads after annealing have tiny pits or scratches. Is this normal? I never had this occur with moretti, just large bubbles when I added glass from my own doing. Or could it be that bullseye has to be annealed at a different temperature range? I've never had scratches or tiny pits in moretti before. The scratches are not noticeable unless you look for them - but definitely not acceptable.

One last comment - I purchased these from a stained glass shop, however, they were in a small lampworking section.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 2007-10-15, 8:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

the only BE i have ever seen with bubbles in the whole rod is Aurora, which is a brand new odd lot. Could it be that?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-10-15, 8:21pm

Thanks Squid. I did search to see the Aurora odd lot and I do believe that is what it may be. Looks very similar. Since none of these rods were labeled, maybe next time I'll purchase from one of the glass suppliers online. I didn't notice this occurring with any other of the rods, so I bet you are right. I'll keep playing with all the new bullseye and see what happens. Thanks again.
Old 2007-10-15, 8:40pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

this glass is beautiful if that is what you have - try reducing it to get a pretty irridescent color. You can also strike it similar to Van Gogh or Terra and get a pretty range of blues and purples.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-10-16, 7:10am

If you're talking pits and bubbles while you heat it, egyptian blue and steel blue will do that if you heat them directly in the flame for too long. They're much happier high in the flame, and rotating more.

Can you post a picture of the rods?